• Oct 6th, 2020 12:57 am
Tags:
[OP]
Sep 26, 2008
898 posts
194 upvotes
Ottawa

All-inclusives for Fall 2020/Winter 2021

Was checking out all-inclusives over the week-end to get an idea of what travel conditions are currently in place (a few examples posted below). Seems very risky to book anything, especially considering the rules can easily be changed with little or no notice. Not to mention the 2-week quarantine upon return to Canada makes travel a non-starter for many. Ugh, this winter is going to be even tougher to endure without a getaway for some heat and sunshine to look forward to. :( Anybody planning on taking their chances just the same?

Mexico
Must present a completed Questionnaire for Identification of Risk Factors in Travelers to immigration upon arrival. Travelers may be subject to health screening, including temperature checks upon arrival.

Dominican Republic
Proof of negative PCR COVID-19 test no older than 5 days before your arrival or you will be tested upon arrival. For tests done on arrival, costs will be covered by the government. Kids under 6 will be exempt. All passengers will be subject to health screening upon arrival. Passengers who test positive will be required to quarantine at their hotel. Additional health declarations and customs forms may be required.

Cuba
Medical Insurance Required. Temperature checks and PCR COVID-19 tests upon arrival at Cuba's airports.

Jamaica
Completed Travel Authorization sent 5 days prior to intended travel date www.visitjamaica.com. Fill in Personal, Health and Intended Stay in Jamaica information; provide consent and declaration; complete the Immigration and Customs Form (C5); Submit your application. Save an electronic or printed copy of the Travel Authorization as you will need to show it to an airline agent at check-in, or when boarding your flight. Tourists must remain in the resort corridor during their stay. You may be required to download the JAMCOVID19 app so that monitoring by the health dept can be facilitated. Must check in daily on the App to record temperature and development of any signs or symptoms.
36 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2019
2320 posts
18717 upvotes
Since May 1, 2010, all travelers to Cuba have been required to carry proof that they hold travel insurance covering medical costs during their stay. When arriving, travelers must provide, upon request, their insurance policy, their insurance certificate or their health insurance card.

Looks like Cuba has the least restrictions for those wanting to travel south in the winter.
Aug 21, 2010
621 posts
258 upvotes
toronto
just got back from mexco mayan riveria..things went smooth..had to download an app arrivecan ...before boarding they scan the qcode..both ways to mexico and back...resorts did there part..social distancing..no buffet...santize stations...
want to go again in novemebr...maybe cuba but buba has not opened to visitors as of yet
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
3653 posts
2897 upvotes
Jenny1975 wrote: Was checking out all-inclusives over the week-end to get an idea of what travel conditions are currently in place (a few examples posted below). Seems very risky to book anything, especially considering the rules can easily be changed with little or no notice. Not to mention the 2-week quarantine upon return to Canada makes travel a non-starter for many. Ugh, this winter is going to be even tougher to endure without a getaway for some heat and sunshine to look forward to. :( Anybody planning on taking their chances just the same?

Mexico
Must present a completed Questionnaire for Identification of Risk Factors in Travelers to immigration upon arrival. Travelers may be subject to health screening, including temperature checks upon arrival.

Dominican Republic
Proof of negative PCR COVID-19 test no older than 5 days before your arrival or you will be tested upon arrival. For tests done on arrival, costs will be covered by the government. Kids under 6 will be exempt. All passengers will be subject to health screening upon arrival. Passengers who test positive will be required to quarantine at their hotel. Additional health declarations and customs forms may be required.

Cuba
Medical Insurance Required. Temperature checks and PCR COVID-19 tests upon arrival at Cuba's airports.

Jamaica
Completed Travel Authorization sent 5 days prior to intended travel date www.visitjamaica.com. Fill in Personal, Health and Intended Stay in Jamaica information; provide consent and declaration; complete the Immigration and Customs Form (C5); Submit your application. Save an electronic or printed copy of the Travel Authorization as you will need to show it to an airline agent at check-in, or when boarding your flight. Tourists must remain in the resort corridor during their stay. You may be required to download the JAMCOVID19 app so that monitoring by the health dept can be facilitated. Must check in daily on the App to record temperature and development of any signs or symptoms.
Pardon wrote: Since May 1, 2010, all travelers to Cuba have been required to carry proof that they hold travel insurance covering medical costs during their stay. When arriving, travelers must provide, upon request, their insurance policy, their insurance certificate or their health insurance card.

Looks like Cuba has the least restrictions for those wanting to travel south in the winter.
Cuba currently only permits travelers to goto certain areas like the cayos. Travellers can't for example goto Havana or Santiago etc even after arrival and negative tests

https://www.travelandleisure.com/travel ... -reopening

August 25th: Cuba has slowly started to reopen. Tourists can visit the Cuban keys, although they cannot visit the main island. Visitors will have to take a coronavirus test upon arrival.

Travel to Havana is still not permitted. This is especially relevant for Americans, for whom travel is restricted to the Havana airport. The Havana airport is set to open in the autumn—but, again, it may be tricky for Americans to visit. For now, it seems that Cuba will only welcome travelers from Canada, the Caribbean, and select European countries.

Even once Havana is opened, travelers may be directed to visit other areas of the island
Jun 14, 2006
680 posts
58 upvotes
GTA
your best bet wrote: just got back from mexco mayan riveria..things went smooth..had to download an app arrivecan ...before boarding they scan the qcode..both ways to mexico and back...resorts did there part..social distancing..no buffet...santize stations...
want to go again in novemebr...maybe cuba but buba has not opened to visitors as of yet
How was the arrival process back into Canada, how do they verify you are following the 14 days quarantine?
Thinking of going but not clear on what the expectation is other then 14 days stay at home (which is doable), just curious how do they follow up with you?
Oct 20, 2013
974 posts
331 upvotes
Chambly, QC
Steinbok wrote: How was the arrival process back into Canada, how do they verify you are following the 14 days quarantine?
Thinking of going but not clear on what the expectation is other then 14 days stay at home (which is doable), just curious how do they follow up with you?
Cops. They visit you at home.
It’s 10 days in QC now
[OP]
Sep 26, 2008
898 posts
194 upvotes
Ottawa
RobertRabbit wrote: Cops. They visit you at home.
It’s 10 days in QC now
Not sure if serious?? My sister flew in to PEI in August from Europe and someone called every day at random times.
Oct 20, 2013
974 posts
331 upvotes
Chambly, QC
Jenny1975 wrote: Not sure if serious?? My sister flew in to PEI in August from Europe and someone called every day at random times.
Yes I’m serious.
It’s 10 days now in QC.
And cops are sent randomly to check.
I don’t know how much is the fine.
Oct 20, 2013
974 posts
331 upvotes
Chambly, QC
There are a few nice deals to Jamaïca!
Pretty temped!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
8943 posts
2849 upvotes
so tempted but I think we will wait until sometime in 2021
Discomfort is your friend
Mar 8, 2004
366 posts
188 upvotes
Kanata
We have a trip booked since beginning of year to Riviera Maya for end of November for our 20th. If there is quarantine still we definitely are not going. Even if that is gone I'm not sure I want to risk getting stranded for any length of time as we have 2 kids we are leaving behind. Not scared of actually getting anything, more scared of not being able to come home whether because we have symptoms or other things change. Risk is low probably and we really want to go but the negative outcomes may be too much to risk for us.

Got an awesome deal at the Ocean Maya Royale too so disappointed in that too.

May end up doing Quebec City and Montreal instead as we are just going to book that week off no matter what.

Also looked at islands with minimal cases such as St Lucia and Grenada as options but same risk of possible delays in getting home.
[OP]
Sep 26, 2008
898 posts
194 upvotes
Ottawa
GateGuardian wrote: This is a good website to check what countries is open to Canadians

https://www.traveloffpath.com/countries ... -tourists/
Good resource, thank you! Don't think I'd be willing to risk it for places that require negative PCR test before departure. I'd be stressing about getting the results within the required window. It's also my understanding that the PCR test puts out a lot of false positives. That wouldn't leave much time to get re-tested, if needed.
Mar 8, 2004
366 posts
188 upvotes
Kanata
Jenny1975 wrote: Good resource, thank you! Don't think I'd be willing to risk it for places that require negative PCR test before departure. I'd be stressing about getting the results within the required window. It's also my understanding that the PCR test puts out a lot of false positives. That wouldn't leave much time to get re-tested, if needed.
And what if you test positive...it's like you have to test negative then book last-minute?
[OP]
Sep 26, 2008
898 posts
194 upvotes
Ottawa
gumby_ng wrote: And what if you test positive...it's like you have to test negative then book last-minute?
Yes, seems that way... or roll the dice...