• Last Updated:
  • Oct 6th, 2020 12:57 am
Tags:
Penalty Box
Dec 20, 2004
5281 posts
1280 upvotes
Toronto
Steinbok wrote: How was the arrival process back into Canada, how do they verify you are following the 14 days quarantine?
Thinking of going but not clear on what the expectation is other then 14 days stay at home (which is doable), just curious how do they follow up with you?
The expectation is just to stay 14 days at home. Nothing else.

I arrived from the US a couple of weeks ago and got no follow up at all (no email, no phone call, and no one came knocking).

I have several friends who have travelled over the last couple of months and most of them also had no contact. A couple did receive an email or two, and one guy had a phone call.

Because there are so many people traveling now I think the most you will get is an email.

FYI the police are absolutely NOT sent out unless the Canadian immigration agent specifically suspects you will not comply with the quarantine. There was an article in CBC about this.

If you are landing in YYZ as your final destination you can also opt for a Covid test on arrival, although regardless of the results you still have to complete the quarantine.
Aug 21, 2010
612 posts
254 upvotes
toronto
got back on the friday and they called ..health canada called monday morning asking..has anyone visited..how are you managing for food...have you left the house...and than they called again a few days later..and that was it for the 14 day...
Steinbok wrote: How was the arrival process back into Canada, how do they verify you are following the 14 days quarantine?
Thinking of going but not clear on what the expectation is other then 14 days stay at home (which is doable), just curious how do they follow up with you?
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2005
4485 posts
879 upvotes
Scarborough
your best bet wrote: just got back from mexco mayan riveria..things went smooth..had to download an app arrivecan ...before boarding they scan the qcode..both ways to mexico and back...resorts did there part..social distancing..no buffet...santize stations...
want to go again in novemebr...maybe cuba but buba has not opened to visitors as of yet
Which resort did you stay at? I'm looking at an AI in the next couple of weeks. Did it feel deserted with the 30% capacity cap and did the food quality go down. Most of the ones I'm looking at has rotating restaurant hours. Also, not sure if it's worth booking the Adults Only section as I'm guessing there isn't a lot of kids at the resort right now.
Dec 28, 2011
844 posts
349 upvotes
Midland
your best bet wrote: got back on the friday and they called ..health canada called monday morning asking..has anyone visited..how are you managing for food...have you left the house...and than they called again a few days later..and that was it for the 14 day...
God your lucky. I got 4 calls. Everytime you do no not pick up the keep calling back in 10 mins increments. I had to stop a meeting to talk to these fools
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2005
4485 posts
879 upvotes
Scarborough
Energie11 wrote: God your lucky. I got 4 calls. Everytime you do no not pick up the keep calling back in 10 mins increments. I had to stop a meeting to talk to these fools
When I first started flying in March, I got calls from both Health Canada and (Ontario) Ministry of Health, it was two in person call and then it was like a voice mail every day. I have not got a single call on my last trip though. Not sure if they're overloaded or because I finally got the "essential service" code when going through customs.
Aug 21, 2010
612 posts
254 upvotes
toronto
stayed at the royalton riviria ...because it was not busy for free got upgraded to roof top hotub suite,,pretty cool,,had one floor and to get to the hottub with loungers etc had to go up stairs with your room...no it did not feel deserted as they compltetly closed a block of rooms...food quality was excellent...was weird fruits all were wrapped,,,all restaurants were not open...we got a good price on this in august for the 3 of us..wife i and younger son 2500 all in...we were considering before we left to go to diamond section where they have there own pool and waiter coming.section of the beach..but because it was not busy,,,defenitely would of been a waste....no there was not too many kids,,they bsaically were in the waterslide area...
GateGuardian wrote: Which resort did you stay at? I'm looking at an AI in the next couple of weeks. Did it feel deserted with the 30% capacity cap and did the food quality go down. Most of the ones I'm looking at has rotating restaurant hours. Also, not sure if it's worth booking the Adults Only section as I'm guessing there isn't a lot of kids at the resort right now.
Jul 16, 2019
462 posts
253 upvotes
I believe the Dominican Republic and Mexico no longer require tests. Just the questionnaire and Dominican may test on arrival. Not sure on flight availability and the chance of flight cancellation closer to dates. Dominican has even started free health coverage if you do come down with Covid.
https://www.traveloffpath.com/dominican ... th-mexico/
Feb 14, 2015
107 posts
35 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
tempting prices & it's hard not to look at these deals....
Dec 13, 2010
259 posts
54 upvotes
Montreal
MariposaM wrote: tempting prices & it's hard not to look at these deals....
..and it's gonna get even harder more it gets colder with a very snowy winter prognosis due to La Nina :-(
Mar 16, 2006
101 posts
25 upvotes
Scarborough
Royalton had some AMAZING deals for their 10th anniversary. Royalton Negril, 2 adults, 2 kids, Diamond Club, 1 bdrm suite with swim out - $4420.00 all in...Dec 7-14, 2020

When we went in 2018, the same set up cost me almost 10k (3 adults, 2 kids). In 2019 (Dec 17-24) cost me about 8k for 2 adults, 2 kids - that was for a Junior Suite (2 queens), swim out in the Diamond Club. It was somewhat justified given the time of year...

So, $4420 sounds amazing but worried about how quickly things are changing and what that may mean if we were to go away. So for now, we sit tight
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2005
4485 posts
879 upvotes
Scarborough
Anyone stayed at the Hyatt Ziva or Zilara before? Looking for a less partying atmosphere with nice beaches.
Dec 20, 2009
204 posts
15 upvotes
Mississauga
How likely are COVID outbreaks in these resorts? Have there been any so far? Is management handling the risks well?
Looks like all guests will be coming inn tested negative....what about the staff and the shared restaurants?