Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
43444 posts
7292 upvotes

The All New 2022 Subaru WRX

Bring on the down votes lol.

https://www.subaru.com/2022-wrx

Thoughts?

Me personally, I have mixed views about this. Probably a pass.
Get ready for the global reveal of the rally legend’s new evolution.
The 2022 WRX is a whole new beast and it’s about to be unleashed at the New York International Auto Show on August 19. We’ll be streaming the world premiere live and you don’t want to miss the reveal of all the upgrades to its engine, suspension, and aggressive style. Sign up to be one of the first to see the powerful, agile, completely redesigned 2022 WRX.
I hope they don't make a CVT version and hope it is not made in America. Then again with their whole Global Platform, who knows.
Blanka
43 replies
Feb 8, 2010
532 posts
433 upvotes
CVT for sure.

20 years ago wrx was damn hot

2001 B6 Audi A4 1.8T - 180 PS
2001 EJ205 WRX - 219 PS

It made a lot of sense back in 2001. But look at how much the landscape has changed since that time. It feels like a relic.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 4, 2005
8215 posts
853 upvotes
Brampton
Please bring back a hatch
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
43444 posts
7292 upvotes
The debut is on August 19th.
Blanka
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
30602 posts
11470 upvotes
Wait for STi if you need a "family car"! :lol:
billy_z wrote: CVT for sure.
LOL remember back in 09 when they decided the WRX automatic had to go and they renamed it 2.5GT the following year? Kind of like how Chevy went bananas with the SS moniker in the early 00s and finally decided to put a stop to that, renaming the non-SC/TC Cobalt "SS" to Cobalt Sport or whatever.

Nowadays putting a CVT (of all things) in and calling it a WRX is fair game!

billy_z wrote: 20 years ago wrx was damn hot

2001 B6 Audi A4 1.8T - 180 PS
2001 EJ205 WRX - 219 PS

It made a lot of sense back in 2001. But look at how much the landscape has changed since that time. It feels like a relic.
I'm not sure it's fair to compare an A4 1.8T to a WRX. Sure the Audi probably cost more but it was an entry lux car, while the Subaru was a rustbuckets tin can lol. Small nitpick as well a 2001 would have been B5 I'm pretty sure. A more appropriate comparison would have been the S4 which was 2.7L twin turbo V6 with 250hp+, albeit surely much more expensive.

Also IIRC the WRX we got in NA back then was a de-powered version wasn't it? I think it was only like 20-30hp but back then that was a lot. E36 M3 was even worse since it was years before, had a different engine, and was almost 50hp down from the ROW version. When you think about stuff like that these days you wonder why on Earth they did that back then!

But yeah anyway the WRX has departed quite a ways from what it once was, but so has the world. However the WRX has become more generic now and perhaps we shouldn't tell the the vape-loving, oversize square mudflapping, off-centre licence plating, kids out there...but the car is otherwise uninspired by comparison to years ago. Also STI is "family car" now too apparently :lol: so there's that.

I don't expect the new one will be any departure in direction so yeah CVT and more focus on interior/comfort, "driver assistance" and "tech" will likely be par for the course. Focus on touchscreens and Android Auto more than anything else lol.
Oct 25, 2020
390 posts
309 upvotes
Will be curious how this looks and is equipped. This is the only fun turbo sporty sedan left that you can buy at a reasonable price. Lots riding on this for gear heads that need 4 doors.

Also wondering what Subaru will do with the FA platform for the WRX and STi as the EJ is finally retired.

Hopefully they keep the STis peaky turbo powerband that is missing from the majority of turbo cars today.
Deal Guru
Apr 11, 2006
10181 posts
4175 upvotes
Mississauga
White Comet wrote: I just see a bunch of sand
Exactly. How do we have mixed views when we can't see it and have no info on specs.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
30668 posts
16925 upvotes
Toronto

Marketing people are such idiots Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2003
7598 posts
653 upvotes
Vancouver
I had a good time owning a 15" WRX new for 3 years. Stage 1 by 1000km then Stage 2+ by 20km, excellent mileage once tuned and was a blast to drive! I rocked out 700km on a tank of gas Stage 2. Never had any real issue in 90km

Hopefully the new 2022 is a good refresh/ redesign! Glad I had one for 3 years, I enjoyed it without regret. Perfect? No, but it was a fun 6 SPD!!
How can I be broke when I am saving so much?
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
3614 posts
3628 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Maybe we should wait until the car is actually announced/released?
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2006
3838 posts
474 upvotes
Cisco KId wrote: I had a good time owning a 15" WRX new for 3 years. Stage 1 by 1000km then Stage 2+ by 20km, excellent mileage once tuned and was a blast to drive! I rocked out 700km on a tank of gas Stage 2. Never had any real issue in 90km

Hopefully the new 2022 is a good refresh/ redesign! Glad I had one for 3 years, I enjoyed it without regret. Perfect? No, but it was a fun 6 SPD!!
I had a 15' WRX on CVT. Got over 900 kms on 1 tank. That was great lol
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2018
1323 posts
1513 upvotes
Love my 17 sport tech but moving into tesla
<signature length too long>
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2003
7598 posts
653 upvotes
Vancouver
superscoots wrote: Love my 17 sport tech but moving into tesla
Yes I moved from the WRX to S4 and now have pre order on Ioniq 5, if it prices out right I will proceed or it is ID.4 or a Tesla Model 3 however Tesla M3 is last choice, just too common of a car, and I feel cars are an expression of ones self to a degree and I want something new/different in the ev segment BUT I also want that $5K federal and $3K provincial rebate so that is a big factor for me. Enjoy the new ride once you get it
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2003
7598 posts
653 upvotes
Vancouver
Cisco KId wrote: Yes I moved from the WRX to S4 and now have pre order on Ioniq 5, if it prices out right I will proceed or it is ID.4 or a Tesla Model 3 however Tesla M3 is last choice, just too common of a car, and I feel cars are an expression of ones self to a degree and I want something new/different in the ev segment BUT I also want that $5K federal and $3K provincial rebate so that is a big factor for me. Enjoy the new ride once you get it
I had a 15' WRX on CVT. Got over 900 kms on 1 tank. That was great lol
Thats awesome, I got 700km as mentioned but that was with 140kmph speeds up Coquihalla highway, lead footing it for all 700
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2018
1323 posts
1513 upvotes
Cisco KId wrote: Yes I moved from the WRX to S4 and now have pre order on Ioniq 5, if it prices out right I will proceed or it is ID.4 or a Tesla Model 3 however Tesla M3 is last choice, just too common of a car, and I feel cars are an expression of ones self to a degree and I want something new/different in the ev segment BUT I also want that $5K federal and $3K provincial rebate so that is a big factor for me. Enjoy the new ride once you get it
Yeah I agree teslas seem fairly common but nothing touches it performance wise and that's important to me too, looking at a dual motor m3

Lowered slightly with different rims and black out trim changes the look dramatically if you're worried about it looking too common
<signature length too long>
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2003
7598 posts
653 upvotes
Vancouver
superscoots wrote: Yeah I agree teslas seem fairly common but nothing touches it performance wise and that's important to me too, looking at a dual motor m3

Lowered slightly with different rims and black out trim changes the look dramatically if you're worried about it looking too common
I agree with you, I am going the opposite way haha my H2 SX SE gives me all the performance I need, 0-60 fast is not a concern any longer on 4 wheels just give me range and no gas bill and lower maintenance and a contribution to reducing emissions. My brother has the dual motor LR , its a great EV,I am sure you will love it
Feb 8, 2010
532 posts
433 upvotes
ES_Revenge wrote: I'm not sure it's fair to compare an A4 1.8T to a WRX. Sure the Audi probably cost more but it was an entry lux car, while the Subaru was a rustbuckets tin can lol. Small nitpick as well a 2001 would have been B5 I'm pretty sure. A more appropriate comparison would have been the S4 which was 2.7L twin turbo V6 with 250hp+, albeit surely much more expensive.
The point is, 20 years ago WRX was a cool car smokes most M/B/A entry level cars and costs a lot less.

Now grocery getter such as Audi A4 puts out 260hp with DCT, WRX no longer has an edge except for being cheaper. And to make it even less attractive there is CVT WRX.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
30602 posts
11470 upvotes
billy_z wrote: And to make it even less attractive there is CVT WRX.
LOL good point. Every time I hear "CVT WRX" I don't know whether to chuckle or SMH, or a bit of both.