Food & Drink

The all-new Beyond Meat† Nuggets have arrived.

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 16th, 2021 9:34 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2012
2407 posts
1150 upvotes
Hamilton, Ontario

The all-new Beyond Meat† Nuggets have arrived.

Anyone try this?

I was scrolling through my e-mail, when this flashed past. I was complaining to myself I don't want to see A&W messages about meat based products and was about to scroll on, when I noticed this is a new Beyond Meat alternative.

Even when I was a meat eater, chicken nuggets were far from my favourite. But I am curious. In the past any vegitarian option for chicken I've tried has tasted like unflavoured toffu. The texture is sometimes right, but the flavour never is.

My favourite chicken wing alternative is actually the grilled cauliflower from Costco. It doesn't at all taste like chicken wings, and you wouldn't expect it to. But I can use the same dipping sauces, so it satisfies my cravings.
15 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2012
2407 posts
1150 upvotes
Hamilton, Ontario
I just tried them as a late lunch.

Overall, I would have to rate them as inferior to Yves. And Yves are not good enough for most grocery stores to carry them.

I could imagine the nuggets as being made of a highly processed chicken paste, and that is as close as I could get.
May 22, 2009
104 posts
32 upvotes
I had them today from one inside a mall. They were okay. I think I do better with marinated tofu and seasoned flour alone in the oven with cooking spray. It's not justifiable at that price. For the amount of research and development these have been through, they certainly don't have the best palates... The inside is fine, the texture is decent but not very juicy, and the breading is...lackluster? It tastes like the outside of an onion ring but all in all it's just kinda dry and not worth it.

You'll be far better off even just coating soya chunks in seasoned corn starch (black pepper, smoked paprika, garlic powder) and stir frying them in a hot wok 'til they're crispy and treating those like popcorn chicken. Less than a dollar will get you a full plate... these people need to step it up, and THIS is the pillar of the plant based corporate culinary community? :/ There's a long way to go...
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
18352 posts
1310 upvotes
Elmira
Waiting for a coupon to try these.. One of my buddies swears they're really good but after seeing the prices there is absolutely no way
a closed mind is already defeated
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2003
4909 posts
513 upvotes
GTA
they were handing them out at Ontario Place last Saturday.. got a bag of 4. Much better than the burger.. well.. anything deep fried in batter tastes good.
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2012
2451 posts
737 upvotes
GTA
LucarioPK wrote: I had them today from one inside a mall. They were okay. I think I do better with marinated tofu and seasoned flour alone in the oven with cooking spray. It's not justifiable at that price. For the amount of research and development these have been through, they certainly don't have the best palates... The inside is fine, the texture is decent but not very juicy, and the breading is...lackluster? It tastes like the outside of an onion ring but all in all it's just kinda dry and not worth it.

You'll be far better off even just coating soya chunks in seasoned corn starch (black pepper, smoked paprika, garlic powder) and stir frying them in a hot wok 'til they're crispy and treating those like popcorn chicken. Less than a dollar will get you a full plate... these people need to step it up, and THIS is the pillar of the plant based corporate culinary community? :/ There's a long way to go...
Where do you buy your soya chunks and what brand please?
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2007
4904 posts
1358 upvotes
Regina
am waiting for the beyond meat wings
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29039 posts
14588 upvotes
hordosr wrote: am waiting for the beyond meat wings
Oh $deity why?
Boneless "wings" (aka nuggets) are bad enough.
I couldn't imagine trying to replicate bone and skin in any meaningful culinary way.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2007
4904 posts
1358 upvotes
Regina
death_hawk wrote: Oh $deity why?
Boneless "wings" (aka nuggets) are bad enough.
I couldn't imagine trying to replicate bone and skin in any meaningful culinary way.
am anti beyond meat...but whatever floats the vegan boat
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2006
1157 posts
1152 upvotes
Toronto
Whats the sodium content like on these vs regular nuggets?
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
7194 posts
2229 upvotes
0 downvotes
yeah whats the sodium content on these versus regular chicken based nuggets?
Say NO to the WAR!
PEACE is the answer!
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
18352 posts
1310 upvotes
Elmira
buddy why are these things SO expensive?
i live in a population 8000 town with only a couple food choices, one of course is which A&W so I've been paying attention to the price on the board on these things... they're outrageously expensive and they've never ONCE put them on sale.. no coupons, nothing..
what the hell is up with these? one of my drinking buddies is vegetarian and he "swears i will like them more than real chicken".. according to him they "taste better and have no gristly pieces".. we shall see.. seems like a novelty luxury meal from a drive-thru window at this point
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
7194 posts
2229 upvotes
0 downvotes
Duckdown, you don't live in Toronto? where do u live then?
Say NO to the WAR!
PEACE is the answer!
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
18352 posts
1310 upvotes
Elmira
GoodFellaz wrote: Duckdown, you don't live in Toronto? where do u live then?
nah, i left the GTA a couple years ago, I only go back to Brampton to visit Mom and other family/friends

I'm northwest of Waterloo now