Off Topic

All publicly-funded schools in Ontario will be closed for two weeks after March break due to COVID-19

Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
24972 posts
4212 upvotes
jayoldschool wrote: That is super irresponsible. You can keep testing positive well beyond 14 days.
It's not irresponsible at all. If you test positive, the health unit will make you isolate yourself for 14 days. After that, you can return to your normal life. A second test isn't required, because even if one does test positive, they apparently are no longer contagious.

That's based on everyone I know who has tested positive. The health unit told them that a second test isn't needed or recommended.
Deal Guru
Apr 8, 2013
10204 posts
738 upvotes
Shaner wrote: It's not irresponsible at all. If you test positive, the health unit will make you isolate yourself for 14 days. After that, you can return to your normal life. A second test isn't required, because even if one does test positive, they apparently are no longer contagious.

That's based on everyone I know who has tested positive. The health unit told them that a second test isn't needed or recommended.
That is true. Testing positive after 2 weeks just means that the virus is still in the body but they are non-infectious.
Sep 26, 2008
904 posts
194 upvotes
Ottawa
kevindurant1 wrote: That is true. Testing positive after 2 weeks just means that the virus is still in the body but they are non-infectious.
It's probably reasonable to expect that a number of positive "cases" recently is exactly this.
Mar 1, 2020
325 posts
130 upvotes
GTA West
So if you tested positive, how will you know if you're infectious or not? Esp if you never had any symptoms...

I'm a tad confused since I heard one requires a negative test before being admitted back to class... (I guess lots of misinformation out there so might as well clarify here). You guys sure that 14 day quarantine is all that's needed?
Deal Guru
Apr 8, 2013
10204 posts
738 upvotes
Jenny1975 wrote: It's probably reasonable to expect that a number of positive "cases" recently is exactly this.
Not really because it is not usually required to get another test after two weeks(depends on the work) of being quarantined and it doesn't happen with everyone.

This current wave is the consequence of opening up too quick. We are still seeing outbreaks in the workplace which is totally unacceptable at this point.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
34034 posts
19899 upvotes
Ottawa
LPGA2020 wrote: So if you tested positive, how will you know if you're infectious or not? Esp if you never had any symptoms...

I'm a tad confused since I heard one requires a negative test before being admitted back to class... (I guess lots of misinformation out there so might as well clarify here). You guys sure that 14 day quarantine is all that's needed?
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nc ... COVID%2D19.

Do I still need to quarantine for 14 days if I was around someone who has COVID-19?
Yes. You should still self-quarantine for 14 days since your last exposure. It can take up to 14 days after exposure to the virus for a person to develop COVID-19 symptoms. A negative result before end of the 14-day quarantine period does not rule out possible infection. By self-quarantining for 14 days, you lower the chance of possibly exposing others to COVID-19.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
8159 posts
2852 upvotes
Mississauga
Invalid12 wrote: Screenshot_20200917-230955_Twitter.jpg
vkizzle wrote: COVID-19 symptoms
I can understand that, but it is also stupid at the same time. They start off by saying for example close contact with someone in the same household has symptoms, then down at the bottom in the section of being directed by Public Health, they use close contact with someone in the same household with "probable", which guess what, is also the same as someone with COVID-19 symptoms, other than someone confirmed positive.

Either something was lost in translation, or the government is going in circles and not really thinking this directive through.
Feb 25, 2015
651 posts
225 upvotes
ON
kenchau wrote: I can understand that, but it is also stupid at the same time. They start off by saying for example close contact with someone in the same household has symptoms, then down at the bottom in the section of being directed by Public Health, they use close contact with someone in the same household with "probable", which guess what, is also the same as someone with COVID-19 symptoms, other than someone confirmed positive.

Either something was lost in translation, or the government is going in circles and not really thinking this directive through.
This +1
Mar 1, 2020
325 posts
130 upvotes
GTA West
kenchau wrote: I can understand that, but it is also stupid at the same time. They start off by saying for example close contact with someone in the same household has symptoms, then down at the bottom in the section of being directed by Public Health, they use close contact with someone in the same household with "probable", which guess what, is also the same as someone with COVID-19 symptoms, other than someone confirmed positive.

I am more than confused with all these, suffice to say is just to take 14 days off with any sick ness, whether it be common cold, cough etc... that's my view but then again, I don t participate in the public school system so I'll just watch "this show unfold" and listen to my neighbors' rants lol
Feb 25, 2015
651 posts
225 upvotes
ON
LPGA2020 wrote: I am more than confused with all these, suffice to say is just to take 14 days off with any sick ness, whether it be common cold, cough etc... that's my view but then again, I don t participate in the public school system so I'll just watch "this show unfold" and listen to my neighbors' rants lol
I take it you can wfh?
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2007
3690 posts
1424 upvotes
Shaner wrote: It's not irresponsible at all. If you test positive, the health unit will make you isolate yourself for 14 days. After that, you can return to your normal life. A second test isn't required, because even if one does test positive, they apparently are no longer contagious.

Quick comment: no health unit can actually enforce isolation effectively.

We are on the honor system that people self-isolate. People who need to work to pay the bills are returning to their jobs too soon (before the 14 days), and there is no data to determine how many patients are actually following the rules.

Just pointing out another problem we are facing.
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
13071 posts
6871 upvotes
Southern Ontario
LPGA2020 wrote: So if you tested positive, how will you know if you're infectious or not? Esp if you never had any symptoms...

Infectious cases are typically symptomatic between 2-10d max incubation. Why cheap paper saliva antigen tests that do not require a lab and will give us immediate results are better than swabs and need to be approved for mass non-hospital use.

This is consistent globally, why 14d is the quarantine period. You might notice the highly sensitive RT-PCR captures positives beyond the infectious period, so 14d self isolation is surely enough (I often conduct hospital swabbing and review results).
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
24972 posts
4212 upvotes
motomondo wrote: Quick comment: no health unit can actually enforce isolation effectively.

We are on the honor system that people self-isolate. People who need to work to pay the bills are returning to their jobs too soon (before the 14 days), and there is no data to determine how many patients are actually following the rules.

Just pointing out another problem we are facing.
I have several friends who have tested positive. One of them walked their dog up the street while they were under quarantine (she thought that was okay as she wasn't near anyone else). The health unit called her the next day and told her if she left her house again, she would be fined.

They also called her several other times to see if she was at home.

While not a perfect system, some health units are checking up on those supposed to be under quarantine I imagine it would be more difficult in areas with larger outbreaks. My areas health unit has only had 1 real outbreak, and it was under 40 cases. Most other times there's only been 1 or 2 active cases at any one time.