Off Topic

All publicly-funded schools in Ontario will be closed for two weeks after March break due to COVID-19

Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2018
1094 posts
1104 upvotes
Over 400 cases today, wife and I are probably going to have a serious discussion about pulling kids from school if it gets any worse. State of emergency was declared in March with 300 cases and lockdown started when we were in the 500's and we hit 1600 before it slowed down with all those measures in place. At the rate it's climbing we will be in the 1000's again soon. No way in hell kids are going to school in that state.

My question is did the school boards prepare for and do they have a plan in place if there is a shutdown of schools switching to online? One would think they have a plan in place in cases numbers spiked again but I'm guessing they don't
Mar 1, 2020
324 posts
130 upvotes
GTA West
AncasterRFD wrote: Infectious cases are typically symptomatic between 2-10d max incubation. Why cheap paper saliva antigen tests that do not require a lab and will give us immediate results are better than swabs and need to be approved for mass non-hospital use.

This is consistent globally, why 14d is the quarantine period. You might notice the highly sensitive RT-PCR captures positives beyond the infectious period, so 14d self isolation is surely enough (I often conduct hospital swabbing and review results).
Thanks. That's all I needed to know, 14 days at home whatever happens (so many guidelines out there I'll just take the easiest to remember - I only do groceries once every 3-4 wks anyway LOL). I heard on 680 news this morning that BC already using swab tests in schools there, they should do it here too as now cases have breached 400!
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2007
3665 posts
1408 upvotes
HghSsociety wrote: Over 400 cases today, wife and I are probably going to have a serious discussion about pulling kids from school if it gets any worse. State of emergency was declared in March with 300 cases and lockdown started when we were in the 500's and we hit 1600 before it slowed down with all those measures in place. At the rate it's climbing we will be in the 1000's again soon. No way in hell kids are going to school in that state.

My question is did the school boards prepare for and do they have a plan in place if there is a shutdown of schools switching to online? One would think they have a plan in place in cases numbers spiked again but I'm guessing they don't
Over 400 new cases today, how long until we hit 500 infections per day? One week?

One week sounds about right to me.
Mar 1, 2020
324 posts
130 upvotes
GTA West
HghSsociety wrote: Over 400 cases today, wife and I are probably going to have a serious discussion about pulling kids from school if it gets any worse. State of emergency was declared in March with 300 cases and lockdown started when we were in the 500's and we hit 1600 before it slowed down with all those measures in place. At the rate it's climbing we will be in the 1000's again soon. No way in hell kids are going to school in that state.

According to my neighbor, who babysits for a teacher's daughter (teacher in the public school region), even the schools themselves are inconsistent in the application of protocol so, using logic, I'm sure some will NOT be compliant and therefore, you are right to start thinking of pulling out your child.... In my case, I am scheduled to go grocery shopping next week as in trying to stretch it to a 4 wk period before I hit the warehouse club... I might do it in a while as I'm pretty sure we are already heading higher, what with thanksgiving around the corner and single digit temps happening in the mornings now...
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6382 posts
1204 upvotes
cardle wrote: You aren't going to see the effect of schools re-opening for a number of weeks.
No, the crap is already hitting the fan.

vkizzle wrote: The guidelines most definitely does not state that a student can go to class if they have been exposed and waiting for test results.
Please don't post bullshit.
+1. Close contacts of a confirmed case are required to self-isolate.
Shaner wrote: I have several friends who have tested positive. One of them walked their dog up the street while they were under quarantine (she thought that was okay as she wasn't near anyone else). The health unit called her the next day and told her if she left her house again, she would be fined.

They also called her several other times to see if she was at home.

While not a perfect system, some health units are checking up on those supposed to be under quarantine I imagine it would be more difficult in areas with larger outbreaks. My areas health unit has only had 1 real outbreak, and it was under 40 cases. Most other times there's only been 1 or 2 active cases at any one time.
The minimum is that cases must be contacted on day 7 and 14. It’s nearly impossible for HUs with high case counts to effectively follow up more regularly and enforcement just impossible with all the staffing shortages.
Mar 1, 2020
324 posts
130 upvotes
GTA West
motomondo wrote: Over 400 new cases today, how long until we hit 500 infections per day? One week?

One week sounds about right to me.
Didn't we take one week to hit 400 from 300? So yes odds are in your favor
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2007
3329 posts
573 upvotes
GTA
For those of you with kids physically attending school, how bad would the situation have to get for you to change your mind and switch to virtual learning? I really feel bad for those parents that don't have anyone who can stay home with the children.
Nov 17, 2003
391 posts
55 upvotes
The_Professor wrote: For those of you with kids physically attending school, how bad would the situation have to get for you to change your mind and switch to virtual learning? I really feel bad for those parents that don't have anyone who can stay home with the children.
I honestly don't know. I'm really paying attention to the number of cases in each region.
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
20022 posts
2832 upvotes
Niagara Falls
The_Professor wrote: For those of you with kids physically attending school, how bad would the situation have to get for you to change your mind and switch to virtual learning? I really feel bad for those parents that don't have anyone who can stay home with the children.
Probably until the Province shuts them down. The danger to kids is very low, the issue becomes in them spreading it when they're done school. Parents should still be using caution with their children once they're done school. Don't take them to the store with you unless you have no other option, don't go visit boomers so you don't put them at additional risks.

Make sure the kids are wearing their masks when they should be and washing their hands as much as possible.

Might be different for parents with children that can actually get something out of at home learning but for k - 3 or whatever that cut-off would be, learning from home would be very difficult.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2018
1094 posts
1104 upvotes
We are preparing to pull them out if the numbers continue to rise much more. Our concern is not so much the kids but our in-laws. My wife and I have both continued to work thru this. Our in-laws our are daycare providers and one of them has underlying health issues that need to be taken into account. Our oldest just went to University and she was watching the kids while we worked, now that that option is no longer available, we are using our in-laws

I got off the phone with the school about an hour ago. The waitlist to get the kids into online learning is anywhere from 2 weeks to more than a month. I couldn't get a more defined answer than that as they are backlogged and there is a waiting list.
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
13035 posts
6851 upvotes
Southern Ontario
LPGA2020 wrote: Thanks. That's all I needed to know, 14 days at home whatever happens (so many guidelines out there I'll just take the easiest to remember - I only do groceries once every 3-4 wks anyway LOL). I heard on 680 news this morning that BC already using swab tests in schools there, they should do it here too as now cases have breached 400!
Interesting fact, possible compliance issue, have to swirl nasal 5x once resistance is met, that’s pretty deep, not the most pleasant experience for most people, especially children who will move, cry, refuse.
Nov 28, 2017
33 posts
11 upvotes
CuriousJack wrote: same question as how could the province prevent parents from not sending their kids to school if they have symptoms?
So why blame the province for negligence? Unless you have nurses screening all entrants to school, it's impossible.
Safety measures, once instructed and distributed to employees, are the responsibility of the employee to comply with, any deviation could be a reprimandable offense.
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2007
3665 posts
1408 upvotes
jjblast wrote: So why blame the province for negligence? Unless you have nurses screening all entrants to school, it's impossible.
Safety measures, once instructed and distributed to employees, are the responsibility of the employee to comply with, any deviation could be a reprimandable offense.
I disagree because we are not employees of the Provincial government. It is the other way around.
em·ploy·ee
/emˈploiē,emˌploiˈē/
noun
plural noun: employees

A person employed for wages or salary
They are our employees, they get paid to make fact-based decisions in our behalf, as well as the creation of policy.