Off Topic

All publicly-funded schools in Ontario will be closed for two weeks after March break due to COVID-19

Deal Expert
User avatar
Jun 9, 2003
24573 posts
1764 upvotes
Markham, ON
The_Professor wrote: For those of you with kids physically attending school, how bad would the situation have to get for you to change your mind and switch to virtual learning? I really feel bad for those parents that don't have anyone who can stay home with the children.
based on my experience so far...

Daughter quarantine after day 1 attendance. 1/2 the class is now quarantined including the teacher. Since my daughter is now considered high risk, even though she test negative, she has to stay home for 14 days (in her room). Else everyone else in the house has to be quarantined also. Since she is in grade 8, she is getting homework from the teacher thru google class room. Hopefully everything goes back to normal in 6 days when she's back in school.

my son in grade 3....well... we decided that as responsible parents to keep him home until next monday. Since he's negative and has no symptoms, he could go back to school on Monday. Which the nurse has cleared. It would be day 11 anyways.
however, he's not setup for google class room, and therefore, no work assigned for this past week. Ive been homeschooling him....hard since im busy at work...but manageable.
Member
Aug 31, 2014
308 posts
160 upvotes
Toronto, ON
thelefteyeguy wrote: based on my experience so far...

Daughter quarantine after day 1 attendance. 1/2 the class is now quarantined including the teacher. Since my daughter is now considered high risk, even though she test negative, she has to stay home for 14 days (in her room). Else everyone else in the house has to be quarantined also. Since she is in grade 8, she is getting homework from the teacher thru google class room. Hopefully everything goes back to normal in 6 days when she's back in school.
Glad you guys tested negative. But wondering why your daughter still has to quarantine if she’s tested negative? In case she’s a carrier? In case the test results was a false negative?
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
13035 posts
6851 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Our high schooler has a positive announced today, the friends are part of the smart crowd, they are group chatting about going online for next term Oct3. Apparently there are 100's of students who congregate in the lobby in tight quarters and drop their masks. Ours just stays in class all day.
Member
Mar 1, 2020
324 posts
130 upvotes
GTA West
AncasterRFD wrote: Our high schooler has a positive announced today, the friends are part of the smart crowd, they are group chatting about going online for next term Oct3. Apparently there are 100's of students who congregate in the lobby in tight quarters and drop their masks. Ours just stays in class all day.
Good on your kid to be smart about these things these days.. this latter part of your statement (eg your 2nd to the last sentence) is what I was worried about and seems like that is almost impossible to stop...
Newbie
Nov 28, 2017
33 posts
11 upvotes
motomondo wrote: I disagree because we are not employees of the Provincial government. It is the other way around.



They are our employees, they get paid to make fact-based decisions in our behalf, as well as the creation of policy.

I'm not quite sure what you are saying?

An employers obligation for safety ends at providing proper PPE and minimizing known work hazards with proper instruction. If an employee disobeys those safety precautions, how is that the province's fault?
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2010
1343 posts
338 upvotes
jjblast wrote: I'm not quite sure what you are saying?

An employers obligation for safety ends at providing proper PPE and minimizing known work hazards with proper instruction. If an employee disobeys those safety precautions, how is that the province's fault?
You'd better check the H&S guidelines as that is not where an employers obligation ends, enforcing H&S is shared between employees and employers with both having specific tasks.

That said an employee ignoring guidelines and policies is at fault as is an employer that doesn't enforce the policies.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Dec 22, 2006
40889 posts
37597 upvotes
Economy
Clacker wrote: You'd better check the H&S guidelines as that is not where an employers obligation ends, enforcing H&S is shared between employees and employers with both having specific tasks.

That said an employee ignoring guidelines and policies is at fault as is an employer that doesn't enforce the policies.
It is hard to enforce after the fact. with COVID19, if an infected person goes to work and is around other people, isn't it already too late?
Don't take life too seriously.
No one gets out alive anyway.
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
13035 posts
6851 upvotes
Southern Ontario
LPGA2020 wrote: Good on your kid to be smart about these things these days.. this latter part of your statement (eg your 2nd to the last sentence) is what I was worried about and seems like that is almost impossible to stop...
Perhaps that's changed now but I'm dismayed there wasn't staff breaking the crowds up and asking students to wear their mask properly or leave the building like the way they enforce social distancing at my younger's elementary school.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
5612 posts
2796 upvotes
Mississauga
As an example, when the afternoon online sessions begin at the high school my wife teaches at, the LAN slows to a crawl with all the simultaneous users. Some teachers ran speed tests and were get sub 1 Mbps. Others resorted to hotspotting their personal phones to get a stable connection.

What a joke.
Member
Mar 1, 2020
324 posts
130 upvotes
GTA West
AncasterRFD wrote: Perhaps that's changed now but I'm dismayed there wasn't staff breaking the crowds up and asking students to wear their mask properly or leave the building like the way they enforce social distancing at my younger's elementary school.
yours is a sample size of 1- unfortunately im not hopeful that the remaining 4800+ schools out there are all properly imposing what is supposed to be enforced amongst students... sure we can't be perfect but i think people are thinking there's always second and third chances available when in reality, that mentality isn't suppose to be the case... it is what it is...

the question that keeps popping up in my head is -- at the rate that some testing sites are starting to be overwhelmed these days, plus an anticipated increase in required tests for whatever reason -- wouldn't what you mentioned -- eg just quarantine 14 days -- be enough rather than lining up for hours just to get a test?

i don't exactly know school policies but if all kids with any sickness require a test, i can't see how thatll work properly come nov-march when it's really cold by then to line up for hours outdoors-- it'll just exacerbate students/kids/parents ignoring the rules and send them to school since it's an "easier" / more convenient solution... (eg no penalty involved anyway)
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
33995 posts
19846 upvotes
Ottawa
LPGA2020 wrote: yours is a sample size of 1- unfortunately im not hopeful that the remaining 4800+ schools out there are all properly imposing what is supposed to be enforced amongst students... sure we can't be perfect but i think people are thinking there's always second and third chances available when in reality, that mentality isn't suppose to be the case... it is what it is...

the question that keeps popping up in my head is -- at the rate that some testing sites are starting to be overwhelmed these days, plus an anticipated increase in required tests for whatever reason -- wouldn't what you mentioned -- eg just quarantine 14 days -- be enough rather than lining up for hours just to get a test?

i don't exactly know school policies but if all kids with any sickness require a test, i can't see how thatll work properly come nov-march when it's really cold by then to line up for hours outdoors-- it'll just exacerbate students/kids/parents ignoring the rules and send them to school since it's an "easier" / more convenient solution... (eg no penalty involved anyway)
The penalty is being inconvenienced, because the school will call you to pick up your kid right away.
Your kid doesn't need to be "sick", just need to have one symptom.
Newbie
Nov 28, 2017
33 posts
11 upvotes
Clacker wrote: You'd better check the H&S guidelines as that is not where an employers obligation ends, enforcing H&S is shared between employees and employers with both having specific tasks.

That said an employee ignoring guidelines and policies is at fault as is an employer that doesn't enforce the policies.
True, there are some obligations for enforcement, but this isn't moving machine parts where a simple mistake or non-compliance could result in a missing hand or finger. This is a face covering that an individual didn't wear. If the individual was sick and there was no reporting of such, that is the employee's responsibility.
Newbie
Nov 28, 2017
33 posts
11 upvotes
mrweather wrote: As an example, when the afternoon online sessions begin at the high school my wife teaches at, the LAN slows to a crawl with all the simultaneous users. Some teachers ran speed tests and were get sub 1 Mbps. Others resorted to hotspotting their personal phones to get a stable connection.

What a joke.
"When I asked him how that differed from working in a classroom, he said he might have to help his own child with schoolwork or drive his wife to the grocery store."

This is equally a joke. Why didn't the teacher go on leave or CERB and allow a supply teacher to take over?

That doesn't make any sense and was actually harmful to student education delivery.
Deal Guru
Apr 8, 2013
10204 posts
738 upvotes
Doofus Doug is limiting indoor to 10 people.

Doesnt apply to schools though. :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Top