Off Topic

All publicly-funded schools in Ontario will be closed for two weeks after March break due to COVID-19

Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
5612 posts
2796 upvotes
Mississauga
jjblast wrote: "When I asked him how that differed from working in a classroom, he said he might have to help his own child with schoolwork or drive his wife to the grocery store."

This is equally a joke. Why didn't the teacher go on leave or CERB and allow a supply teacher to take over?

That doesn't make any sense and was actually harmful to student education delivery.
Sounds like you're dealing with an unprofessional teacher.

But what does that have to do with my comment? The teachers aren't being given the proper tools to deliver the online content.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2001
8706 posts
893 upvotes
Last minute we had our kids going to in-class but with the number rising and we have quite a few teacher friends recommending online instead (because it's chaotic and even they don't know what's going on), we switched both our kids to online. Luckily my spouse has quite flexibility in her job and i'm currently wfh right now but I will be travelling around the province soon.
...zzz...zzz...zzz...

www.heatware.com
Apr 15, 2014
885 posts
763 upvotes
Toronto, ON
They should have just done the entire year online learning. Would help kids learn to use technology. They’ll be closing down schools anyways.
Please respond
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6382 posts
1204 upvotes
Tsanger wrote: Glad you guys tested negative. But wondering why your daughter still has to quarantine if she’s tested negative? In case she’s a carrier? In case the test results was a false negative?
Because she is a close contact of a confirmed case. All contacts of a confirmed case need to self isolate for 14 days from their last exposure. The test result was only a reflection of her status at the time the sample was collected. People can become positive after they test negative.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
3219 posts
1065 upvotes
Woodbridge
amz155 wrote: Because she is a close contact of a confirmed case. All contacts of a confirmed case need to self isolate for 14 days from their last exposure. The test result was only a reflection of her status at the time the sample was collected. People can become positive after they test negative.
A Grade 8 student at Little Rouge PS in Markham (YRDSB) tested positive. Half of their class (this was during the staggered start, so only half of the students were there), as well as any teacher that taught that class had to go home for 14 days. This is one thing that has been somewhat anxious. I'm in and out of 7 different classrooms with a combined 102 students. If any one of them tests positive, I'm home for 14 days. But I have no idea what that means. Am I teaching virtually? Do I use all of my sick days in one shot? What if a different student tests positive in November? I'm off for 14 days again? How soon do we find out? I'm in the process of preparing two weeks' worth of emergency plans and activities for all of my classes in case I get a call or email late one night that I'm not to go in the next day. I also need to make sure that I'm bringing all of my stuff home with me every afternoon so that I can actually continue planning and working in some capacity during any potential quarantine. It's just something else that I need to be constantly thinking about. Honestly, figuring out and adapting to all of these new protocols and policies and thought processes has been exhausting. I never nap. I got home on Friday and told my wife I was going to lie down for 5 minutes and I woke up 3 hours later. I can imagine parents having similar anxieties. You get a call at 6pm telling you that your kid can't come to school for the next two weeks and now you have to figure out childcare, how to get them tested, how to ensure they keep learning. The level of tension currently across all parts of the education system is unlike anything I've ever seen before.
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6382 posts
1204 upvotes
OntEdTchr wrote: A Grade 8 student at Little Rouge PS in Markham (YRDSB) tested positive. Half of their class (this was during the staggered start, so only half of the students were there), as well as any teacher that taught that class had to go home for 14 days. This is one thing that has been somewhat anxious. I'm in and out of 7 different classrooms with a combined 102 students. If any one of them tests positive, I'm home for 14 days. But I have no idea what that means. Am I teaching virtually? Do I use all of my sick days in one shot? What if a different student tests positive in November? I'm off for 14 days again? How soon do we find out? I'm in the process of preparing two weeks' worth of emergency plans and activities for all of my classes in case I get a call or email late one night that I'm not to go in the next day. I also need to make sure that I'm bringing all of my stuff home with me every afternoon so that I can actually continue planning and working in some capacity during any potential quarantine. It's just something else that I need to be constantly thinking about. Honestly, figuring out and adapting to all of these new protocols and policies and thought processes has been exhausting. I never nap. I got home on Friday and told my wife I was going to lie down for 5 minutes and I woke up 3 hours later. I can imagine parents having similar anxieties. You get a call at 6pm telling you that your kid can't come to school for the next two weeks and now you have to figure out childcare, how to get them tested, how to ensure they keep learning. The level of tension currently across all parts of the education system is unlike anything I've ever seen before.
I’m on the investigating end of these sorts of things and I totally understand and am experiencing the frustration. It’s like nothing I’ve experienced in 15 years doing this job.
Aug 31, 2014
308 posts
160 upvotes
Toronto, ON
amz155 wrote: Because she is a close contact of a confirmed case. All contacts of a confirmed case need to self isolate for 14 days from their last exposure. The test result was only a reflection of her status at the time the sample was collected. People can become positive after they test negative.
I thought it’s either negative or 14 days... oops.

Are you a contact tracer? Or do contact tracer work with others that do the investigations to come up with that Western U diagram?
Mar 1, 2020
324 posts
130 upvotes
GTA West
Here's what I don't understand -- if the test is not "foolproof", and it certainly isn't, then why bother with testing and why not just impose the strict 14 day protocol? Is it bec parents just want to go to work and can't afford to have the kids at home? I am also puzzled by what I read in the news that siblings can go to school if their other siblings who have symptoms have been tested but have no test result yet, even parents don't need to quarantine, like huh?... that doesn't make sense, unless I read wrong...

I'm asking bec at this rate, it's already a 3 day waiting list here in Halton for tests in any testing center (online only, no walk ins here in this region), plus at least 4 days for the result... that is already at least a 7 day waiting period... the other thing I am puzzled about is, this is not a linear case, therefore required testing plus isolation frequencies increase at an increasing rate (and vice versa as cases go down, but that's not happening now) - so at what point does this whole thing "collapse" - eg testing sites and school closure?

*PS I am not sure about my first paragraph as I keep reading people are testing and 14 day "quarantin-ing"... hence i wonder
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2014
1838 posts
500 upvotes
Toronto, ON
LPGA2020 wrote: Here's what I don't understand -- if the test is not "foolproof", and it certainly isn't, then why bother with testing and why not just impose the strict 14 day protocol? Is it bec parents just want to go to work and can't afford to have the kids at home? I am also puzzled by what I read in the news that siblings can go to school if their other siblings who have symptoms have been tested but have no test result yet, even parents don't need to quarantine, like huh?... that doesn't make sense, unless I read wrong...

I'm asking bec at this rate, it's already a 3 day waiting list here in Halton for tests in any testing center (online only, no walk ins here in this region), plus at least 4 days for the result... that is already at least a 7 day waiting period... the other thing I am puzzled about is, this is not a linear case, therefore required testing plus isolation frequencies increase at an increasing rate (and vice versa as cases go down, but that's not happening now) - so at what point does this whole thing "collapse" - eg testing sites and school closure?

*PS I am not sure about my first paragraph as I keep reading people are testing and 14 day "quarantin-ing"... hence i wonder
the whole testing delay and long lines make us look like some undeveloped third world country. I hope with the start of the pharmacy testing lines will be reduced and people can get quicker results. Even if the test is 85% accurate its better than no test at all. The only way to keep this in check is to test test test and even overtest.
Mining & Workstation EPYC 7702 64 Core & Dual 3950x Rigs | ASUS STRIX RTX 3090 | 3X NEC PA301W | 64GB DDR4 ECC |5 TB Samsung NVMe Storage
Deal Guru
Apr 8, 2013
10204 posts
738 upvotes
LPGA2020 wrote: Here's what I don't understand -- if the test is not "foolproof", and it certainly isn't, then why bother with testing and why not just impose the strict 14 day protocol? Is it bec parents just want to go to work and can't afford to have the kids at home? I am also puzzled by what I read in the news that siblings can go to school if their other siblings who have symptoms have been tested but have no test result yet, even parents don't need to quarantine, like huh?... that doesn't make sense, unless I read wrong...
What you are saying makes sense but who will create and enforce that rule? The province? Good luck.

They do not even want to have sick leaves. A lot of parents have little choice.

They can easily force people to stay home until their test is back. Have them wear a bracelet like in Taiwan. If they are out, fine them.

The clowns are running the show so it is is every family for themselves. You have to determine your risk tolerance.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
6641 posts
2897 upvotes
The schools will all close, one after another until Dougy finally has had enough and changes it all to online learning until 2021 fall. Just watch. This is like week 2 and at least 2 schools have closed down already in Ontario.
Mar 1, 2020
324 posts
130 upvotes
GTA West
kevindurant1 wrote: What you are saying makes sense but who will create and enforce that rule? The province? Good luck.

They do not even want to have sick leaves. A lot of parents have little choice.

They can easily force people to stay home until their test is back. Have them wear a bracelet like in Taiwan. If they are out, fine them.

The clowns are running the show so it is is every family for themselves. You have to determine your risk tolerance.
Haha, at least you agreed with me making sense... that's all i needed to know... am not hopeful the province or whatever govt organization will get this properly and have the foresight to do the proper thing... as you said, everyone now to fend for themselves...
Banned
Jan 23, 2016
1430 posts
405 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
badOne wrote: The schools will all close, one after another until Dougy finally has had enough and changes it all to online learning until 2021 fall. Just watch. This is like week 2 and at least 2 schools have closed down already in Ontario.
Stop your fear mongering. This pandemic has been over for months. Deaths have been bumping along the zero line for a long time.
Images
  • EhYFTF4X0AAMw1N.jpg
Sig abuse is not permitted on RFD - Mods