Off Topic

All publicly-funded schools in Ontario will be closed for two weeks after March break due to COVID-19

Banned
May 3, 2020
77 posts
68 upvotes
Sparky9087 wrote: Stop your fear mongering. This pandemic has been over for months. Deaths have been bumping along the zero line for a long time.
hopefully our leaders don't listen to all the scared facebook moms.. we really can't afford another shut down.
Banned
Jan 23, 2016
1430 posts
405 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
Jimmykirky wrote: hopefully our leaders don't listen to all the scared facebook moms.. we really can't afford another shut down.
I honestly don't know why people are so keen to shut down again. Can someone enlighten me? The white collar people get laid off too next time.
Sig abuse is not permitted on RFD - Mods
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
24956 posts
4198 upvotes
Sparky9087 wrote: I honestly don't know why people are so keen to shut down again. Can someone enlighten me? The white collar people get laid off too next time.
Because the average Canadian is a coward.
Yes, COVID is real and a lot of people have died from it. No argument there, but when numbers went way down, the average person still didn't want anything opened back up. Then schools put a plan in place to open, and people lost their minds, screaming that the world was going to end if schools opened back up. Now so many people are screaming for everything to shut back down again, because they're scared of their own shadow. It's pathetic and embarrassing.

Hopefully the government is smart enough to take a regional approach this time. If Toronto's schools need to be shut down, that doesn't mean schools in my area do. There hasn't been a single case in my town yet, so don't shut down my kids school because of outbreaks in Ottawa and the GTA.
Banned
May 3, 2020
77 posts
68 upvotes
Shaner wrote: Because the average Canadian is a coward.
Yes, COVID is real and a lot of people have died from it. No argument there, but when numbers went way down, the average person still didn't want anything opened back up. Then schools put a plan in place to open, and people lost their minds, screaming that the world was going to end if schools opened back up. Now so many people are screaming for everything to shut back down again, because they're scared of their own shadow. It's pathetic and embarrassing.

Hopefully the government is smart enough to take a regional approach this time. If Toronto's schools need to be shut down, that doesn't mean schools in my area do. There hasn't been a single case in my town yet, so don't shut down my kids school because of outbreaks in Ottawa and the GTA.
Not only cowards but mentally slow.
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
3332 posts
1411 upvotes
Scarborough

The teachers union won't allow that, you think they're gonna let teachers in Toronto and Ottawa not teach and collect a salary while the teachers in your town wake up every morning and teach 5 days a week? Think again.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2014
1838 posts
500 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Indeed and the first shut down wasn't really a "shut down" it was just suspension of certain businesses. You want to see what real shutdown is like? Try Italy, NZ, France or Wuhan. Targeted shutdown at hot spots and good social practice will ensure that we go through winter in one piece. If people are dead set on holding large house parties and no one know what that will lead to.
Mining & Workstation EPYC 7702 64 Core & Dual 3950x Rigs | ASUS STRIX RTX 3090 | 3X NEC PA301W | 64GB DDR4 ECC |5 TB Samsung NVMe Storage
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2012
6623 posts
947 upvotes
Ottawa
Sparky9087 wrote: I honestly don't know why people are so keen to shut down again. Can someone enlighten me? The white collar people get laid off too next time.
I'd be curious to see what the jobs are that the people who are saying "shut it down!" have. I suspect a lot of them are jobs that for whatever reason are going to be safe, or relatively safe.
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2007
3322 posts
563 upvotes
GTA
Can we keep this on topic please?

We received personalized emails last night from YRDSB with the forms required to change from in person to virtual or vice versa. Let's hope once everyone has made up their minds the schools have an opportunity to sort this all out and we can get settled and learning.

I will say the one positive from all of this is that my youngest child has become so proficient with a computer now it's really remarkable.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
33936 posts
19771 upvotes
Ottawa
The_Professor wrote: Can we keep this on topic please?

We received personalized emails last night from YRDSB with the forms required to change from in person to virtual or vice versa. Let's hope once everyone has made up their minds the schools have an opportunity to sort this all out and we can get settled and learning.

I will say the one positive from all of this is that my youngest child has become so proficient with a computer now it's really remarkable.
OCSB will allow parents to switch at the next reporting period in Nov.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
5601 posts
2790 upvotes
Mississauga
Who’s keen to shut things down again? The 50-something Facebook moms with six-figure net worths?

Everywhere I’ve seen nobody wants another set of restrictions like we had in the spring.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
33936 posts
19771 upvotes
Ottawa
mrweather wrote: Who’s keen to shut things down again? The 50-something Facebook moms with six-figure net worths?

Everywhere I’ve seen nobody wants another set of restrictions like we had in the spring.
I prefer that Brampton is locked down from the rest of ON.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
6627 posts
2896 upvotes
shutting down schools isnt the same as shutting down the whole province. The politicians will not shut down the whole province ever again. if you saw any of their news briefings for the past 2 weeks at worst they are talking about localized shut downs if warranted. Not what we had back in March. So who is fear-mongering now?

It remains to be seen if schools will be shut down. Personally I think it will be. All indications point to large city schools finding infections and massive numbers of students and teachers being quarantined, and this is just week 2. Of course everyone who is a parent knows schools serve as free daycare of their kids so any forced move to online learning means one of the parents has to stay home and that has disastrous consequences for the economy.
Deal Expert
Dec 22, 2006
40878 posts
37581 upvotes
Economy
Jimmykirky wrote: hopefully our leaders don't listen to all the scared facebook moms.. we really can't afford another shut down.
WOW! If they shut down the schools it is the result of people not following the guidelines that have been imposed.
Perhaps if people did what they were supposed to do, Ontario and Quebec wouldn't be in this situation.

Smiling Face With Horns
Don't take life too seriously.
No one gets out alive anyway.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2018
1092 posts
1099 upvotes
badOne wrote: shutting down schools isnt the same as shutting down the whole province. The politicians will not shut down the whole province ever again. if you saw any of their news briefings for the past 2 weeks at worst they are talking about localized shut downs if warranted. Not what we had back in March. So who is fear-mongering now?

It remains to be seen if schools will be shut down. Personally I think it will be. All indications point to large city schools finding infections and massive numbers of students and teachers being quarantined, and this is just week 2. Of course everyone who is a parent knows schools serve as free daycare of their kids so any forced move to online learning means one of the parents has to stay home and that has disastrous consequences for the economy.
Nope

We must be watching different news reports because the ones I have read and seen all along including the ones directly from the government themselves have all said the same thing. They will start with targeted regional restrictions/lockdowns followed by province wide if regional doesn't cut it (of some things)

The same way they did with social gatherings. First it was just Toronto, Peel and Ottawa only, then followed by province wide 2 days later.

Another lockdown is probably not going to happen and they will be very reluctant to do it but they have said all along it's not off the table.
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2007
3658 posts
1401 upvotes
Shaner wrote: ...
Then schools put a plan in place to open, and people lost their minds, screaming that the world was going to end if schools opened back up. Now so many people are screaming for everything to shut back down again, because they're scared of their own shadow. It's pathetic and embarrassing.

This bit is nonsense. The "plan" that was put forward is not really a solid plan. Basically it is a mandate to send students back to school with masks, and... "let's see what happens". I wrote before, it is an experiment, and maybe not a good one.

What if you had two choices? If you had to choose between either close schools for another 3 months, or lock down the economy for 3 months down the road, what would you do? I'd prefer to delay the return to school.

As soon as you wrote "Hopefully the government is smart enough ..." I can tell you right now, the government is NOT smart enough...