• Last Updated:
  • Jun 10th, 2013 10:47 pm
[OP]
Mar 8, 2007
105 posts
43 upvotes
Ottawa

Are all QI inductive chargers the same?

Good evening all. I was wondering if a QI charger will charge any device that allows qi charging. I know with many other wired chargers they don't all charge the same and I figured it would be the same for inductive charging but I was told that any qi charger will charge any qi capable device.

I own a Lumia 920 and whenever I do a search for qi chargers you always see "...for Lumia 920" or "...for nexus 4" so that also makes me think that they aren't all the same.

thank you in advanced for any help you can offer me, Google wasn't as friendly to me with this question :P
It isn't life that weighs us down, it's how we carry it
10 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2005
2804 posts
886 upvotes
Montreal
good question, i was wondering this as well
Koodo & Tangerine customer since 2006
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21264 posts
2088 upvotes
The charging circuity should work with any Qi device. That being said, the design of each charger is different and may be "optimized" for aesthetics with a particular phone.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2006
1415 posts
266 upvotes
They should work for all qi enabled devices. I use the energizer charging mat and it was released(2010) way before the nexus 4, or Lumia. It works fine on my Lumia. But from what I hear some mats are a little finicky with certain devices as the qi standard is not very standard.
[OP]
Mar 8, 2007
105 posts
43 upvotes
Ottawa
Perfect, thank you very much for your help. My intention is to hardwire one into my car's centre console so thanks for all your help :D
It isn't life that weighs us down, it's how we carry it
Jun 15, 2011
39157 posts
5746 upvotes
King City
Thing is if you use it in your car and rest it on the charger, your phoneay slip off or come off if you are marking turns or something like that.

Unless you find a way to stick your phone on the charger so it won't fall off lol.
The One and Only and Proud to be an Indian.
If I helped in any way, click that cool little "Thanks" button.
Apr 7, 2006
1415 posts
266 upvotes
djemzine wrote:
Jun 10th, 2013 9:45 am
Thing is if you use it in your car and rest it on the charger, your phoneay slip off or come off if you are marking turns or something like that.

Unless you find a way to stick your phone on the charger so it won't fall off lol.
On top of that you also need to test the charger to see what the effective range is. Some will not charge with a thick case on. Usually you can get away with 1-2mm away from the charging plate.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2004
4275 posts
404 upvotes
Thornhill / North Yo…
Since the standard is a bit new, not all qi chargers will work with all phones. Nokia's DT-900 has some compatibility issues with the Nexus 4.
Jan 20, 2013
452 posts
72 upvotes
Woodbridge
Qi is not standardized completely yet, like a bluetooth. Any charger will work with any Qi enabled device, but how good? the main differences: power and distance. the distance and position are very critical. skipping physics and electronics - look for power and distance spec. it will always charge, but i guess you would like to charge at full current. even if you have a protective case, it will increase space and may reduce the charging current
Deal Guru
Nov 19, 2010
14478 posts
2050 upvotes
Toronto
Get the Panasonic TM101. From my experience the cheap Qi chargers just outright suck.