Shopping Discussion

All Sobeys banner stores (Safeway, Thrifty, IGA, Foodland, Sobeys, Lawtons) suffering ransomware attack since Thursday.

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 16th, 2022 1:22 am
[OP]
Feb 27, 2003
840 posts
686 upvotes
Langley
blainehamilton wrote: Boy, did I luck out with a 4 day weekend off. The company I work for maintains the pos system and all back end equipment for all those banners.

Sounds like this is a back end problem, likely housed and maintained by another 3rd provider that got infiltrated and now has their pants down. If this drags to next payroll day it's going to be big news.
Payroll is weekly on Sundays, payday should be this Thursday.

'should'

(they can't even cut paycheques based on an average of the previous few weeks worked, because they can't access that info right now.Face With Rolling Eyes)
Sep 21, 2017
350 posts
298 upvotes
Vancouver
xphile wrote: Payroll is weekly on Sundays, payday should be this Thursday.

'should'

(they can't even cut paycheques based on an average of the previous few weeks worked, because they can't access that info right now.Face With Rolling Eyes)
Yeah if people don't get paid this week it will be a nightmare for Sobeys reputation. I can't believe they don't have backups or other ways to access payroll. The Company really hasn't communicated anything officially as far as I know except saying they are having IT issues and some pharmacies can't fill prescriptions. It definitely goes beyond that.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-sco ... -1.6642937
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2007
5906 posts
3201 upvotes
I almost went to a Sobeys today because I saw the Scene+ sign outside, good thing I didn't

Hope they find a way to pay their staff, ransomware is no joke =/

And if you think this is a conspiracy to not give you scene points then shop somewhere else?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 26, 2014
7543 posts
8299 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
Tbh the longer this goes on without Sobeys actually saying anything the more I think it's fair to assume that whoever's behind this has actually gotten full access to customer information.

Also if the computers are displaying a message I'm surprised no one's managed to leak it. I know if this happened where I work I 100% would >_>
Nov 7, 2022
2 posts
16 upvotes
I work at a large Sobeys distribution center in Ontario (I assume probably their largest in the country). We ship out fresh meat, produce, yogurt products to basically all their stores in Ontario (Sobeys, Freshco, Foodland etc). Since Friday all of our outbound orders to stores have switched over to being picked from paper and not computerized, which has drastically reduced our outbound volume to stores and we're running way behind. Sobeys is mandating overtime and today management declared a "state of emergency" which is basically a contractual loophole to allow them to have non-unionized workers perform order selection jobs in order to get shipments out to stores faster.

Things are incredibly disorganized and management is pretty tight lipped about what's going on... I'm not getting the sense theres any imminent resolution coming... I expect stores shelves are going to start looking fairly empty soon. I think Scene points are the absolute least of their concerns right now. I heard a rumour going around the ransom request is $14mil but I dont know how true that is. Realistically if that value is true I suspect it would be far cheaper for them to pay the ransom than let this continue on for who knows how long... this is having a major impact on them.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 26, 2014
7543 posts
8299 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
The thing with paying the ransom is that there's no telling what happens after that. If customer information has legitimately been compromised (which we can't rule out, because they won't admit what's going on at all), they're ****ed three ways from Sunday regardless of whether they pay the ransom or not.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2006
2176 posts
2094 upvotes
Here is another speculation ....

*hahaha*

In short, dont rely too much on electronic (software/hardware) technology.
Life is full of twists.
Stay flexible.
Deal Addict
Jun 3, 2010
1234 posts
824 upvotes
Richmond Hill
imoo2u wrote: In short, dont rely too much on electronic (software/hardware) technology.
I think we should go back to the bartering system. I need to start raising chickens and other livestock quickly.

Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Deal Fanatic
Dec 26, 2014
7543 posts
8299 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
So we're nearly a week into this now and they still haven't actually said anything 🤣

I did see on the news earlier tonight though that apparently someone finally DID leak a picture of a computer screen, with a pop-up from McAfee detecting a file called "Ransomware" something.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
7726 posts
1776 upvotes
Scarborough
Yesterday i was able to get points in my grocery at local freshco…..hopefully all is well for the employees payday. It will be really bad if they don’t get paid in time
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
7821 posts
8508 upvotes
Vancouver
I can't understand how organizations are still falling prey to ransomware attacks knocking them offline when there's a simple cheap no-brainer preventative solution: backup. Doesn't help with theft of sensitive information, or close the security hole, but there's no reason not to be back online in an hour. Any IT manager who hasn't implemented proper backups is clearly incompetent and should be replaced immediately.
Deal Addict
Jun 25, 2012
3125 posts
195 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
Scote64 wrote: I can't understand how organizations are still falling prey to ransomware attacks knocking them offline when there's a simple cheap no-brainer preventative solution: backup. Doesn't help with theft of sensitive information, or close the security hole, but there's no reason not to be back online in an hour. Any IT manager who hasn't implemented proper backups is clearly incompetent and should be replaced immediately.
The issue is often times the ransomware will go and delete the backups, in addition it can sit dormant on the computer for months, in turn, infecting all of the backups so if the backups were restored it would have the malware in it.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
7821 posts
8508 upvotes
Vancouver
CloudSurfer wrote: The issue is often times the ransomware will go and delete the backups, in addition it can sit dormant on the computer for months, in turn, infecting all of the backups so if the backups were restored it would have the malware in it.
I would hope that any professional backup system does what ours does. Our backups happen in real time. And then get copied to offline storage hourly. And then taken away to permanent storage daily. Storage capacity is cheap, no reason to erase old backups for years.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2007
5906 posts
3201 upvotes
chemicalxv wrote: The thing with paying the ransom is that there's no telling what happens after that. If customer information has legitimately been compromised (which we can't rule out, because they won't admit what's going on at all), they're ****ed three ways from Sunday regardless of whether they pay the ransom or not.
Employee info could be even more damaging....
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
4001 posts
3847 upvotes
Toronto
Points still aren't being awarded, they may show up on your receipt but they aren't being put into your accounts. You will notice your receipt says digital offers unavailable, you will also notice the actual points aren't being awarded when you log into your scene plus accounts. There is no word on when or if they will be awarded and you should be keeping your receipts in case they aren't.
Dec 29, 2019
308 posts
106 upvotes
My husband and I had to call scene tonight to have the points added to our accounts.

They had use email our receipts with a case # and added them while we were on the phone with them.

We shopped at Sobey’s on the 4th at the time the system was down they.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)