Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

All Sonos stuff on sale ($50 off sub, playbar, play3 & 5)

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 6th, 2017 10:19 am
Jul 28, 2002
624 posts
37 upvotes
Toronto

All Sonos stuff on sale ($50 off sub, playbar, play3 & 5)

Looks like Sonos is on sale everywhere:

New white sub $50 off at $849
http://www.thesource.ca/en-ca/tvs-and-h ... /108062382

$50 off the Play:3 = $329
http://www.thesource.ca/en-ca/search/?t ... ch_submit=

All product at bby
http://www.bestbuy.ca/Search/SearchResu ... mo_shopnow
99% of the stuff I own comes from RFD!
53 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2010
4586 posts
1251 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Still remember the days when the Playbar was only $699 lol... Now the price is :O!!
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2010
4586 posts
1251 upvotes
Toronto, ON
fudge_u wrote: and it doesn't support DTS audio.
Having had the Sonos 1 (x2) and Playbar, it was nice and loved the premium feel but looking back, it feels overpriced for what it is for my use at home. Sound was not amazing (which I expect at that price) but you get the wifi factor and minimal cabling.

On the other hand, some people can really make use of the Sonos ecoystem. Just wasn't right for me.
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2004
14352 posts
15708 upvotes
Oil Country
honggil wrote: Having had the Sonos 1 (x2) and Playbar, it was nice and loved the premium feel but looking back, it feels overpriced for what it is for my use at home. Sound was not amazing (which I expect at that price) but you get the wifi factor and minimal cabling.

On the other hand, some people can really make use of the Sonos ecoystem. Just wasn't right for me.
I have three first gen Play:5 speakers, and I love them. I use them everyday. I was considering to buy the Playbar, until I found out it doesn't support DTS audio. At $700 back in the day, or $900 now, it's a rip-off. I ended up paying $450 for my Yamaha YSP-2200 soundbar setup which supports Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA. I hate to state the obvious, but Yamaha has better sound quality than Sonos.

Sonos excels at music playback, and online music streaming options.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2010
4586 posts
1251 upvotes
Toronto, ON
fudge_u wrote: I have three first gen Play:5 speakers, and I love them. I use them everyday. I was considering to buy the Playbar, until I found out it doesn't support DTS audio. At $700 back in the day, or $900 now, it's a rip-off. I ended up paying $450 for my Yamaha YSP-2200 soundbar setup which supports Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA. I hate to state the obvious, but Yamaha has better sound quality than Sonos.

Yeah I agree. I liked Sonos for the music streaming options a lot to and the radio. For me personally, while Sonos sound quality is not bad considering it's wireless/using wifi ... I wanted to go with better sound quality.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2004
4012 posts
715 upvotes
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2004
14352 posts
15708 upvotes
Oil Country
jakemtl wrote: The Sonos DTS issue can be managed but not resolved by using an optical switch or HDMI switch with optical:
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B003L1 ... YIK6Y9EEQB

It still won't do DTS of course but will do 5.1.
The price you're paying for the Playbar, you shouldn't need any workarounds to get DTS tracks to play. Out of Sonos' entire lineup of products, that Playbar is the only one to avoid.
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2003
2091 posts
1942 upvotes
fudge_u wrote: I have three first gen Play:5 speakers, and I love them. I use them everyday. I was considering to buy the Playbar, until I found out it doesn't support DTS audio. At $700 back in the day, or $900 now, it's a rip-off. I ended up paying $450 for my Yamaha YSP-2200 soundbar setup which supports Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA. I hate to state the obvious, but Yamaha has better sound quality than Sonos.

Have you actually sat down and compared the sound quality of the Sonos 5.1 system to your Yamaha setup? Or is this your assumption.
I'm less concerned with things like DTS and more concerned with overall sound quality.
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2004
14352 posts
15708 upvotes
Oil Country
jakemtl wrote: Have you actually sat down and compared the sound quality of the Sonos 5.1 system to your Yamaha setup? Or is this your assumption.
I'm less concerned with things like DTS and more concerned with overall sound quality.
I have not compared, but that lack of any HD audio support is a huge set back IMO, especially when it already doesn't support DTS audio natively. Also keep in mind, the Playbar doesn't come with a subwoofer, so it "might" be missing some oomph while you're watching an action movie.

Yes, I did make an assumption, but that's based on what I've read in Sonos/Home Theater/Audio forums. BTW, I ended up buying the Yamaha YSP-2200 system a few years back, when I was researching the Playbar.
Last edited by fudge_u on Nov 29th, 2016 12:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2004
4012 posts
715 upvotes
The biggest selling point for me with Sonos is the huge wife acceptance factor. I've had a whole house Crestron system and the wife hated it, yet she's never had a single complaint about the Sonos system and I'm willing to take a downgrade in audio quality for that.
Deal Expert
Jun 23, 2005
26011 posts
211303 upvotes
GTA

Nice little low-profile soundbar with great sound - I think I paid $550-$600 several years ago for a refurb. I don't even have the best setup in terms of the room it is situated in (third wall is absent - opens to another room), and yet there are still times where I am turning my head in amazement because the sound seemed to come from a direction where I have no speaker present.
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2004
14352 posts
15708 upvotes
Oil Country
toguy wrote: Nice little low-profile soundbar with great sound - I think I paid $550-$600 several years ago for a refurb. I don't even have the best setup in terms of the room it is situated in (third wall is absent - opens to another room), and yet there are still times where I am turning my head in amazement because the sound seemed to come from a direction where I have no speaker present.
I lucked out when Future Shop had them on sale for $499 back in 2014. I was able to get Visions to price match it down to $447 plus tax.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2003
3101 posts
3348 upvotes
fudge_u wrote: until I found out it doesn't support DTS audio
the good news is that DTS and such standards exist for surround sound, and no "bar" is surround sound anyway. you'd need to use the bar as a center channel in a 5.1 system to use DTS

plain stereo out of a bar may actually sound better than the bar downmixing surround to its version of stereo, because the people who made the media and its original stereo mix may be better at downmixing than the bar is
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2006
1717 posts
424 upvotes
I highly recommend sonos for anyone sitting in the fence.. Best purchae I've made in years. We listen to music a lot more now around the house. Sound is great, but most importantly is ease of use and flexibility of the software. Also the fact that the speakers themselves are the players, and handheld devices are just controllers. I can put a nursery playlist on, and it will continue to play until I tell it to stop regardless of whether my phone is in range or dies etc. I have Spotify premium, listen to podcast, radio, have my favorite albums in flac form on my NAS. Far and away the best way to listen to music... Couldn't be happier with it.

Keep an eye on the used market as well. I bought 2 new (play 5 gen 2, and play 3) 2 used (play 3 for $280, and a play 5 gen 1 for $200!!! On kijiji)

With all that said, I opted not to use sonos for surround sound. I'm really happy with my 7.2 system and don't want to mess with it. I use sonos only for music.
Deal Guru
Dec 1, 2004
12037 posts
5142 upvotes
Wouldn't a Google Home multi-room setup be a better investment, with more functionality and better pricing? I'm sure won't sound as good, but still can't beat the price/value
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2004
4012 posts
715 upvotes
CFRTim wrote: Wouldn't a Google Home multi-room setup be a better investment, with more functionality and better pricing? I'm sure won't sound as good, but still can't beat the price/value
I'm waiting for my google home to arrive so I can compare the sound, I expect it will sound like the Sonos 1 so I may integrate more units into my setup if I like how the google home functions etc.
Nov 30, 2009
305 posts
123 upvotes
Québec
I can't open the affiliate link for staples and when i manually go to staples and search for sonos it bring bose...?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)