Tags:
None
[OP]
Dec 12, 2011
25 posts
21 upvotes
Peterborough, ON

All-Terrain Tires? Recommendations?

For the past few weeks I have been looking at All-Terrain Tires for a diesel 2008 Jeep Grand Chrokee and a 2011 Toyota 4Runner SR5. I have narrowed it down to Summitomo Encounter A/T, Nitto Terra Grappler G2W and BF Goodrich A/T KO2s. I currently have Michelins X-Ice Tires and Goodyear all season tires, but some of the places I go to are really rugged. In the past I used to run Nokians.

I know that the KO2s are extremely capable. I am wondering if anyone has had experience with Nokian, Nitto and Summitomo as tires? What do you rock for your All-Terrain tires?
Stronger than reason, stronger than lies, the only truth I know, is the look in your eyes.
24 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
2629 posts
1136 upvotes
Calgary
I have 33" KO2s on my Jeep. Extremely pleased with them. They are very quiet on the highway and do very well on the trails. I have heard they aren't that great in winter compared to dedicated winter tires though. I haven't used them in winter yet personally.

I suggest that you get C load if at all possible. Stay away from E rating tires as your ride will suffer greatly, unless you really think you need them.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
13972 posts
8378 upvotes
Toronto
I have a lot of big tire experience and out of your list, only the BFGs. I also ran 33"s and ran them for 11 years. Not too noisy but not that great for a really rugged terrain, I find they do not have enough sidewall grip. The MTs are a little better. Lots of folks go with the AT because it will be the better overall performer for daily road wear/life. If you do a lot of rock and this is what the tire is for, off roading, etc..., I would recommend Mickys MTZs or look at the Goodyear silent armors if AT is a must. I found the side thread to be more aggressive but road wear was worse than the BFG. The Mickys will need replacing more frequent if it's a lot of pavement travel.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
8486 posts
2951 upvotes
Never been a fan of the BFG KO2s.

I have always had the best luck with Duratracs.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
43435 posts
6690 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
I got Yokohama g015.

I use them all year round since they are mountain snowflake rated.

I’m on year 3 and the thread is still chunky. The most “all terrain” thing i do is gravy road and dirt road.
One time it was wet and muddy and i was able to get through with a rav4 awd v6. Also one time on a gravel road with at least 12 inch snow :-0
I had to put on the differential lock though.

Decent in snow and ice. Mild mannered on dry roads. These were made more like a mild A/T tire. A balance between all terrain and road tire. So suited to some one like me who only uses gravel and dirt roads occasionally.
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
2735 posts
476 upvotes
Ancaster
I use the Goodyear Duratracs on my pickup truck as my winters and they've been a great solid performing tire.

I have mud terrains (Cooper STT Pro's) as my summers but I'm not sure they'll have them in such a variety of sizes as the Duratracs. I love the Coopers as well.
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2017
1091 posts
987 upvotes
Calgary
Since we're on RFD, best value AT going are Kumho Road Venture AT51's.

Check out Quattro Tires. I just installed (mounted & balanced) four new tires from them for $540.
Deal Addict
May 9, 2003
1429 posts
697 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote: I got Yokohama g015.

I use them all year round since they are mountain snowflake rated.

I’m on year 3 and the thread is still chunky. The most “all terrain” thing i do is gravy road and dirt road.
One time it was wet and muddy and i was able to get through with a rav4 awd v6. Also one time on a gravel road with at least 12 inch snow :-0
I had to put on the differential lock though.

Decent in snow and ice. Mild mannered on dry roads. These were made more like a mild A/T tire. A balance between all terrain and road tire. So suited to some one like me who only uses gravel and dirt roads occasionally.
What happened to your IS?
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
43435 posts
6690 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
bizzyseller wrote: What happened to your IS?
My gf was driving straight on a green. And someone made a left turn into her direction. Totalled the damn thing...
That was the mint condition 2004 i was able to find. Now its all modified trash... or someone with a sub 150kkm looking for a unicorn price of $15k
Deal Addict
May 9, 2003
1429 posts
697 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote: My gf was driving straight on a green. And someone made a left turn into her direction. Totalled the damn thing...
That was the mint condition 2004 i was able to find. Now its all modified trash... or someone with a sub 150kkm looking for a unicorn price of $15k
Awwww sorry that happened. On the bright side, at least it "did its job" and protected your gf.
Apr 5, 2010
829 posts
82 upvotes
Ko2s are trash. Chunk easily and not good in the winter. Also ridiculously overpriced.

Latest and greatest (I don't even think they are available in Canada yet): Toyo AT3
Rugged and best offroad - Falken At3w, kind of loud after 12k kms
Best all arounder - Yokohama G015

You want P-rated. If you get an LT tire, thats overkill for a 4Runner.
Jan 16, 2017
37 posts
14 upvotes
I've tried BFG KO2, Goodyear Duratrac and Cooper Discoverer AT3 all in 33". Duratracs were the loudest of the bunch and terrible on wet pavement - I would not recommend them. KO2 are louder than stock, but not too bad. Wet pavement traction is OK. They are the best of the three in winter. Discoverers (current tires on my truck) are quiet and excellent in wet weather. They are not as good in the winter as the other two.

Out of the three, I'd recommend the KO2s. Best all around tire in my opinion.

Hope that helps!
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
8486 posts
2951 upvotes
Just noticed Firestone has released a new version of their AT tires, which looks to have been improved for winter conditions ( more siping ). I have had the originals in the past, and they were great bang for your buck.

I suspect these will be as well.

https://www.firestonetire.ca/tire/destination-at2
Oct 1, 2015
742 posts
919 upvotes
Barrie, ON
Just got a set of Cooper Discoverer AT3s for my Duramax. I might actually leave these things on for the first snowfall and see how they fair. No complaints so far, no issues at any of the crappy boat ramps I've been using as of late either. So far so good, price was definitely right as well.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
13972 posts
8378 upvotes
Toronto
mxthor3 wrote: Just got a set of Cooper Discoverer AT3s for my Duramax. I might actually leave these things on for the first snowfall and see how they fair. No complaints so far, no issues at any of the crappy boat ramps I've been using as of late either. So far so good, price was definitely right as well.
Oh yeah, the price on discoverers are amazing. Got a set of 33s last year for $425 all in! One poster said the tire was garbage but never responded when I inquired. You'll be happy with them, I was with the limited use.

It would be beneficial if OP would elaborate on 'really rugged' use.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯