All-Terrain Tires? Recommendations?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 25th, 2020 2:44 pm
Tags:
None
Feb 17, 2019
6 posts
3 upvotes
mxthor3 wrote: Just got a set of Cooper Discoverer AT3s for my Duramax. I might actually leave these things on for the first snowfall and see how they fair. No complaints so far, no issues at any of the crappy boat ramps I've been using as of late either. So far so good, price was definitely right as well.
I have the older generation the AT/W. Excellent snow and ice performance the first few seasons (comparable to a real winter tire) but after a few years they do decline noticeably likely due to the rubber hardening over time. Tread wear has been excellent. It would be a good idea starting these off as a winter tire then transition them into summer use.
Apr 5, 2010
827 posts
80 upvotes
Holy crap! You stole those if they were new for $425. Where?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
8454 posts
2920 upvotes
koffey wrote: Oh yeah, the price on discoverers are amazing. Got a set of 33s last year for $425 all in! One poster said the tire was garbage but never responded when I inquired. You'll be happy with them, I was with the limited use.

It would be beneficial if OP would elaborate on 'really rugged' use.
The old Chevy/GM truck greater than all Guy I work with swears by those Cooper A/T3 / A/TW.
[OP]
Dec 12, 2011
25 posts
21 upvotes
Peterborough, ON
koffey wrote: Oh yeah, the price on discoverers are amazing. Got a set of 33s last year for $425 all in! One poster said the tire was garbage but never responded when I inquired. You'll be happy with them, I was with the limited use.

It would be beneficial if OP would elaborate on 'really rugged' use.
Ruggedness I would say 10% grade on a washedout road in and out of a quarry for example. I also commute from Peterborough to Toronto on a frequent basis on mostly highways.
Stronger than reason, stronger than lies, the only truth I know, is the look in your eyes.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
8454 posts
2920 upvotes
Gutty96 wrote: Just noticed Firestone has released a new version of their AT tires, which looks to have been improved for winter conditions ( more siping ). I have had the originals in the past, and they were great bang for your buck.

I suspect these will be as well.

https://www.firestonetire.ca/tire/destination-at2
Looks like Firestone has another one with the mountain / snowflake on it.

Seems like it did well in this review.

IF I didn't already have dedicated winters from when Wifey drove the Armada, I would definitely look into going with these for it now that I am driving. I never used dedicated winters when I had trucks in the past. Just good A/T tires made for winter.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
43378 posts
6607 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
bizzyseller wrote: Awwww sorry that happened. On the bright side, at least it "did its job" and protected your gf.
Thank you. Air bag did its job :-0

She went to every court appearance (to make sure the jerk gets nailed!)
And wow the guy was a jerk and made a mockery of the courts. He kept skipping court dates... eventually the judge concluded he was just trying to delay the thing and gave him full dangerous driving charges.

The guy was a scammer too... my gf kept saying he was crawling around crying “omg my neck... my back...” when the accident happened.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2015
8314 posts
4573 upvotes
ON
Kenster1991 wrote: For the past few weeks I have been looking at All-Terrain Tires for a diesel 2008 Jeep Grand Chrokee and a 2011 Toyota 4Runner SR5. I have narrowed it down to Summitomo Encounter A/T, Nitto Terra Grappler G2W and BF Goodrich A/T KO2s. I currently have Michelins X-Ice Tires and Goodyear all season tires, but some of the places I go to are really rugged. In the past I used to run Nokians.

I know that the KO2s are extremely capable. I am wondering if anyone has had experience with Nokian, Nitto and Summitomo as tires? What do you rock for your All-Terrain tires?
35" Toyo Open Country AT2 Extreme. Pretty happy with them. Heavy tires though , 10ply truck rated. Nittos are pretty much the same company as Toyo.
Dec 19, 2015
682 posts
353 upvotes
Calgary, AB
I have had a set of Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLTs on for two summer snow. Read a few comparison reviews and they seemed to be the best for my usage. Probably the best proper A/T tire on the road and the best A/Ts on gravel. Not as good as things like the KO2 in mud or in the snow (at least the XLTs, the 4s may be better).

KO2s were generally considered more noisy and not good in the wet.

If you’re mostly road and gravel then I’d definitely recommend the AT3s, with the XLTs over the 4s if you plan needing a bit more sidewall protection. If no winter tires then the 4s over the XLT (4s is winter rates, XLT is not).
Last edited by Andy34 on Sep 19th, 2020 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2016
1257 posts
570 upvotes
Ontario
I ran BFG KO's on my TJ I used to have but had to sipe them myself after they got so bad in the wet/snow even at 70% tread left. They were decent then after siping, but still a bit hairy at times, mainly on any ice. I then went with true winter tires in the winter (Firestone Winterforce 2 UV's) and they were great in all the crap winter had. I had GY Duratracs that sucked in the wet too (ok new, but got bad fast) and got hard fast. Wish I still had the Jeep to try more tires on but some tool had to run into me last spring... :/
·Ï¢årµ§·
[OP]
Dec 12, 2011
25 posts
21 upvotes
Peterborough, ON
Alright, so I am split between the Yokohama Geolander A/T G015 105T and the Firestone Destination A/T2 105T.

I think the Jeep will get the Firestones and the 4Runner should get the Yokohamas.
Stronger than reason, stronger than lies, the only truth I know, is the look in your eyes.