Lighting
Audio and Infotainment
USB chargers (and Wipers)
Brakes and Suspension
Aerodynamic Drag and Speed
Weight
Tires
EV Idling"

"Add everything together and we arrive at a figure somewhere around 16 km of range consumed per hour driven. That is, an electric car’s entire suite of secondary systems is responsible for depleting the battery at a rate of approximately 16 km per hour. But, yes, your mileage will vary.

Ambient temperature is the single biggest factor, felt most acutely when driving an EV on a cold day without having plugged it into a charger beforehand.

Ultimately, hooking up to a charger and preheating the battery and cabin before driving is the biggest single thing you can do to sustain range—that and planning your route and charging stops before setting off. "
15 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
9957 posts
9543 upvotes
Other than heating, everything listed impact ICE cars too.

Heat is a waste byproduct of ICE, hence it's "Free" But heat needs to be generated on an EV for battery and human, hence there is a "cost".

Parasitic drain of battery is common these days since almost every car is app connected and have 4G radios active at all time. Since EV will be on a plug more than 50% of time, it actually combat parasitic loss by 4G radios way better.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2007
10265 posts
8489 upvotes
Kootenays
Xtrema wrote: Other than heating, everything listed impact ICE cars too.
Yes, but it has a much bigger impact when you rely on that energy to get to your destination. I read the article a couple of days ago and although I don't have an EV and have no intentions of buying one in the near future (PHEV would fit our needs much better), I thought it might be of interest to some.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2017
1598 posts
2362 upvotes
I think these guys missed that a lot of that drain is already factored into the car's efficiency.

e.g. they give a number for the Kia EV6 Standard Range 2WD at 177 Wh/km. That 177Wh/km was determined by driving the vehicle. They didn't remove the audio/infotainment, usb chargers, brake and steering motors/servos when testing the vehicle's efficiency. The 177Wh/km is how much it'll consume on the test cycle.

Most of this stuff has 0 noticeable impact on your range. Heated seats are 40-50 watts, and the typical EV battery these days is over 70kWh. 70kWh would run a 50w load for 1400 hours. It's irrelevant when you can empty your battery in about 4 hours of highway driving.

Heat is really the only thing that draws a significant amount of power. It'll use 1-2kW after the car is heated up, but still largely irrelevant at highway speeds.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
26169 posts
16173 upvotes
Toronto
Short trips in the winter would really decimate the range considering battery heating is a pretty big loss.
Koodo $40/6GB
Public Mobile $40/15GB, $35/20GB, lot less with rewards
Tangerine Bank, EQ Bank, Simplii
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2004
15318 posts
6406 upvotes
RFD
will888 wrote: Short trips in the winter would really decimate the range considering battery heating is a pretty big loss.
For sure and that depends on if the winter is one from Vancouver or one from Winnipeg
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2004
4638 posts
1359 upvotes
Guelph, ON
Not a good article as fails to mention everything also impacts internal combustion engines. Notice how much more gas you use in the winter!

You never get advertised fuel Mileage on gas powered vehicles.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2007
10265 posts
8489 upvotes
Kootenays
sixer wrote: Not a good article as fails to mention everything also impacts internal combustion engines. Notice how much more gas you use in the winter!

That wasn't the focus of the article. They were trying to address range anxiety and what to do to extend range with an EV. I thought it was a reasonable analysis of the issue which dispelled some myths.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2007
10265 posts
8489 upvotes
Kootenays
will888 wrote: Short trips in the winter would really decimate the range considering battery heating is a pretty big loss.
For me, the takeaway is preheat your battery with grid electricity before you head out in cold weather and it will do more than any other measures you can take.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2015
2872 posts
4081 upvotes
Barrie, ON
sixer wrote: Not a good article as fails to mention everything also impacts internal combustion engines. Notice how much more gas you use in the winter!

Fuel mileage is all in your right foot. Sure you'll lose a few mpgs in the winter, but to say you can't meet EPA estimates? lol come on.
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2004
4638 posts
1359 upvotes
Guelph, ON
mxthor3 wrote: Fuel mileage is all in your right foot. Sure you'll lose a few mpgs in the winter, but to say you can't meet EPA estimates? lol come on.
I'm sorry, but mileage is not all in your foot. People idle their engines in summer for AC, winter to heat, they don't always change air filters, fuel filters, spark plugs, you name it when they should.

Internal combustion engines have many more factors as to why majority of people do not meet epa standards which are tested under ideal conditions on new vehicles.

Yes people have met standards, but they've done so under perfect conditions with constant thought as to how I can achieve the best mileage.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2015
2872 posts
4081 upvotes
Barrie, ON
sixer wrote: I'm sorry, but mileage is not all in your foot. People idle their engines in summer for AC, winter to heat, they don't always change air filters, fuel filters, spark plugs, you name it when they should.

Internal combustion engines have many more factors as to why majority of people do not meet epa standards which are tested under ideal conditions on new vehicles.

Yes people have met standards, but they've done so under perfect conditions with constant thought as to how I can achieve the best mileage.
You're the one that make the bold declaration that you'll never get advertised fuel mileage on gas powered vehicles. I simply said you're incorrect. It's not a difficult thing to do. Do the speed limit, be up on your maintenance, use a bit of common sense.. You can't be doing 140km/h down the 407 and the next minute complain that your fuel mileage sucks.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
9957 posts
9543 upvotes
sixer wrote: I'm sorry, but mileage is not all in your foot. People idle their engines in summer for AC, winter to heat, they don't always change air filters, fuel filters, spark plugs, you name it when they should.

EV idles better but take more energy to heat in winter
ICE heats better but idling sucks.

IRL, ICE is 10% worse in winter vs EV is 30-50% worse in winter.

When parked, whatever gas in the tank you left is the same when you come back. But EV will keep battery warm to save itself so it will lose a tiny bit of charge unless it's plugged in.

When you are out of fuel, ICE needs 10min at a gas station and you are at 100%. EV will need DC quick charge that will charge at 50-250kw depends on charger and car and will take anywhere from 20-min to 1hr to get back to full. So there is more planing for EV and less margin for error.

That's about it. Everything else is noise.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
33306 posts
15228 upvotes
smacd wrote: Good article from Wired: https://www.wired.com/story/ev-battery-drain-tips/
"Contents
Battery Heating and Cooling
Secondary Vehicle Systems Scoring
Cabin Heating and Cooling
Lighting
Audio and Infotainment
USB chargers (and Wipers)
Brakes and Suspension
Weight
Tires
EV Idling"
Hmm all the things that drain your EV battery? Think you/they forgot numero uno there--driving it.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29871 posts
15374 upvotes
smacd wrote: Cabin Heating and Cooling
What's surprising is how low this actually is at idle. 16km per hour is about right when I had to sleep in my car during the heatwave (no AC in BC). A bunch of hours in the car barely dented my range.
Yeah this is why cramming an EV into an existing cube like the Soul is stupid.
Weight
True of ICE too.
EV Idling"
This one I'll fight you on. Idling (without the cabin HVAC) consumes peanuts.
I've left my car on for hours and with everything else on, it loses a few KM per hour.
You're gonna burn FAR more fuel in an ICE than a few hundred watts per hour that I'm burning.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)