Sports & Recreation

All things GOLF related...

  • Last Updated:
  • Apr 17th, 2021 8:20 am
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Guru
User avatar
Sep 1, 2005
12606 posts
7330 upvotes
Markham

All things GOLF related...

There's no thread on RFD specific to the sport of GOLF so I thought I'd create one for the golfers to "hang out" in.

Talk about anything you like BTW. Instructions, equipment, players, reviews of stuff, technology etc.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
134 replies
[OP]
Deal Guru
User avatar
Sep 1, 2005
12606 posts
7330 upvotes
Markham
Anyone watch the PNC tourney? Tiger Wood's son Charlie who's age 11 played. Nice looking swing....just like his dads IMO.

Must be nice to be a son of a professional golfer.

Here's where Charlie can hang out and practice if you've never seen it.

https://tgrdesign.tigerwoods.com/course ... -facility/
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Sr. Member
User avatar
Jan 3, 2008
976 posts
267 upvotes
W.GTA
What a swing Charlie got, looks who's he coach by too. Watch him in a few more years, hope it doesn't get into his head.
Koodo/Public Mobile
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 27, 2008
3633 posts
370 upvotes
Leuven
If Charlie stays interested in Golf its going to be a crazy storyline with ridiculous coverage. Hard to imagine if he is truly dedicated to the game that he wouldn't at least be a pro, if not a great one. His swing already looks amazing at 11 years old!
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Nov 16, 2011
7026 posts
433 upvotes
The amount of pressure on Charlie if he ever turns pro... wow... couldn't imagine.
[OP]
Deal Guru
User avatar
Sep 1, 2005
12606 posts
7330 upvotes
Markham
For Charlie, the hardest thing is motivation IMO. He already has everything so can he create the hunger/motivation to work/scratch/claw his way to the top and be even better than his dad?

This is like life in general...a lot of immigrant ppl came here had kids, became parents and made a better life for the kids. Their kids get an education and have stuff but they don't have the same hunger to do as their parents did (eg working two or even three jobs to buy a home).
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Guru
User avatar
May 9, 2006
12021 posts
2630 upvotes
What do you guys recommend for a range finder? I am incredibly bad at eyeballing distance.

The ones that seem the best in terms of functionality are made from companies I never heard of like TecTecTec or BOBLOV. Companies I have heard of are way too pricey like Bushnell and Nikon.
Sr. Member
Mar 1, 2020
654 posts
193 upvotes
GTA West
Gogogo range finder... I don't use it but have heard some decent things about it from peers (eg value for $ is what they say. I use Nikon myself)...
Sr. Member
Jun 3, 2006
726 posts
125 upvotes
Markham
I bought a Boblov rangefinder this summer. It gets good reviews on the Toronto Golf Nuts site.

I used it for 4-5 rounds without any problems. I mainly only use it for <150 yards while using an iphone GPS app for most of my distance measuring.
Deal Guru
User avatar
May 9, 2006
12021 posts
2630 upvotes
LPGA2020 wrote: Gogogo range finder... I don't use it but have heard some decent things about it from peers (eg value for $ is what they say. I use Nikon myself)...
I bought this one: https://www.amazon.ca/Gogogo-Rangefinde ... 155&sr=1-5

It's well reviewed, has all the features would want and super cheap... well if you buy from amazon.com. In Canada, it's $225. In the US, it's $94USD. With shipping and taxes it's still only $150 CAD.

Still have a few more things to shop for, but I'm mostly ready for next season.
Sr. Member
Mar 1, 2020
654 posts
193 upvotes
GTA West
joeyjoejoe wrote: I bought this one: https://www.amazon.ca/Gogogo-Rangefinde ... 155&sr=1-5

It's well reviewed, has all the features would want and super cheap... well if you buy from amazon.com. In Canada, it's $225. In the US, it's $94USD. With shipping and taxes it's still only $150 CAD.

Still have a few more things to shop for, but I'm mostly ready for next season.
Great find... Your next purchase shd be the G425 j/k... It's not available here yet :p
[OP]
Deal Guru
User avatar
Sep 1, 2005
12606 posts
7330 upvotes
Markham
joeyjoejoe wrote: I bought this one: https://www.amazon.ca/Gogogo-Rangefinde ... 155&sr=1-5

It's well reviewed, has all the features would want and super cheap... well if you buy from amazon.com. In Canada, it's $225. In the US, it's $94USD. With shipping and taxes it's still only $150 CAD.

Still have a few more things to shop for, but I'm mostly ready for next season.
I've heard good things about the Boblov one that someone else posted.

I bought the Caddytek v2 from Costco [IIRC it was $130] when it was on sale. Really happy with it.

https://www.costco.ca/caddytek-golf-las ... 00313.html

As long as there are good reviews, you're looking for slope and jolt and it should be good.

Depending on your desire, a GPS watch might be good enough...lot faster and less fussy than a laser but not quite as accurate but accurate enough unless you're really good.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
[OP]
Deal Guru
User avatar
Sep 1, 2005
12606 posts
7330 upvotes
Markham
Greg Norman got COVID - he lives in Florida apparently. He tested positive roughly a week after the PNC. Wonder if he had it during or towards end of PNC tourney.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Banned
Apr 5, 2013
5810 posts
2965 upvotes
keenland
gr8dlr wrote: I've heard good things about the Boblov one that someone else posted.

I bought the Caddytek v2 from Costco [IIRC it was $130] when it was on sale. Really happy with it.

https://www.costco.ca/caddytek-golf-las ... 00313.html

As long as there are good reviews, you're looking for slope and jolt and it should be good.

Depending on your desire, a GPS watch might be good enough...lot faster and less fussy than a laser but not quite as accurate but accurate enough unless you're really good.
I would suggest the GPS watch....its pretty accurate..my friend uses it at our course..its quick and accurate..but will only give you yardage to frt middle or back..not to the pin....will also give yardage to spots (bunkers hazzards)

this actually shouldnt deter most golders ..EXACT yardage is useful if you are exact, which most >+5 arent.

personally I am old school and just rely on markers and eyesight. But , playing mostly my own club (100 rounds year) I kind of know it and the green like the back of my hand


BTW great new thread
[OP]
Deal Guru
User avatar
Sep 1, 2005
12606 posts
7330 upvotes
Markham
cardguy wrote: I would suggest the GPS watch....its pretty accurate..my friend uses it at our course..its quick and accurate..but will only give you yardage to frt middle or back..not to the pin....will also give yardage to spots (bunkers hazzards)

this actually shouldnt deter most golders ..EXACT yardage is useful if you are exact, which most >+5 arent.

personally I am old school and just rely on markers and eyesight. But , playing mostly my own club (100 rounds year) I kind of know it and the green like the back of my hand


BTW great new thread
I used to use golf apps which were very good. I then got a watch in 2018 and it was better (less fussy) than the phone app. I lost the watch in my last game this past yr. I bought the Caddytek laser late last yr (perhaps my watch hot jealous) and going to go with that going forward.

The laser is the best because it gives you more accurate to the pin yardage. On courses with bigger greens the pin can be half or even a full club difference in some cases. Laser is likely the most fussy but improvement in tech has made it much faster than before even for cheaper lasers.

We're past Winter solstice so days get longer from here on out. We're now around three months to spring tee times.
Last edited by gr8dlr on Jan 1st, 2021 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
[OP]
Deal Guru
User avatar
Sep 1, 2005
12606 posts
7330 upvotes
Markham
WITB discussion.

I got a deal on a set of Cobra One Length irons (5 to Gap) and I'm gonna put it out there... They are great. It didn't take long to get used to them at all. Not long after I was in the hunt for a One Length hybrid which I found and that little toy like club is phenomenal and not only is it great for those 4 iron like length shots, it's a great chip/putter because it's short (unlike a 3 wood/hybrid).

Just got a 58 degree sand/lob wedge in One Length. Can't wait to take it out. BTW the YouTube golfers seem to piss on these longer wedges...let me say they go a fair bit higher and stop faster without need for spin. Think that is a PRO not a CON.

Going to make a prediction that Cobra will and the should sell a hybrid to 6 iron One Length set. If you watch YouTube golfers do their reviews, every one of them love the One Length long irons and marvel at how easy they seem to hit them and the confidence they have with them.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
[OP]
Deal Guru
User avatar
Sep 1, 2005
12606 posts
7330 upvotes
Markham
Quick survey....how many times did you get out this past season. I did over 70!. By far the most I've ever played in one season (and this was a delayed start year).
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Banned
Apr 5, 2013
5810 posts
2965 upvotes
keenland
gr8dlr wrote: Quick survey....how many times did you get out this past season. I did over 70!. By far the most I've ever played in one season (and this was a delayed start year).
May -Nov this year...96 rounds put in and about 10 more that were incomplete, modified etc...this does not include about 20 rounds in Florida during covid...about an average year..oh and I NEVER play weekends
[OP]
Deal Guru
User avatar
Sep 1, 2005
12606 posts
7330 upvotes
Markham
cardguy wrote: May -Nov this year...96 rounds put in and about 10 more that were incomplete, modified etc...this does not include about 20 rounds in Florida during covid...about an average year..oh and I NEVER play weekends
You Blue Heart🏌️
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Guru
User avatar
May 9, 2006
12021 posts
2630 upvotes
Geez... I got in maybe 20 rounds in. But I'm getting back into it from a 15-17 year absence. Also started in July. This year aiming to double that.

As for my WITB:
Some time during that 15 year hiatus, I lent some clubs to someone, but forgot who and clearly they forgot returning them. I only had my driver (Taylor Made r5) and 4i left in my spare bag. I bought a used set of Taylor Made Aeroburner irons (4i to AW) and my dad donated a few clubs: Ping Sigma G Anser putter and Big Bertha 3w. Played the season with this set up. The last round I played was in a tournament. My team finished... well we didn't come in last... but I got lucky with the raffle and won a Big Bertha B21 driver, 52/56/60 Mack Daddy wedges and an Ogio cart bag. These are perfect for me as I'm still a noob and these are noob friendly clubs. Not in a rush, but looking to get a hybrid (maybe a 2i) as I have a significant gap between 3w and 4i.

Top