Food & Drink

All things Pizza Discussion

  • Last Updated:
  • May 20th, 2022 9:30 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Sep 1, 2005
16671 posts
11399 upvotes
Markham

All things Pizza Discussion

Seeing as there are more and more ppl making pizza in their Ooni oven, or Roccbox, or PC oven, or Breville oven, or Bakerstone etc. I created this thread so ppl can discuss recipes, ingredients, methods, tools , sources of ingredients, pricing of ingredients etc

Pics are appreciated.

And please holdback on criticizing ppl and their pizzas if they don't look amazing. In my books all pizza is ok.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
323 replies
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Sep 1, 2005
16671 posts
11399 upvotes
Markham
A little info about myself and pizza if you haven't visited many of the food forums where I've posted lots.

I used to have a Bakerstone Pizza Oven....it sits on top of my propane BBQ and I made some really good pizzas on there. I sold that oven so you won't hear me talking much about that anymore.

I just bought the PC Pizza Oven and I'm looking forward to making different types of pizzas on there but the main pizzas will be Neopolitan style

Other Pizzas I've made: Serious Eats Cast Iron Pizzas, Grilled Pizzas, Detroit style sheet pan pizza, and foccaccia style pizzas.

In my opinion, all of these are really good pies and I'd be glad to eat them anytime.

Ingredients:
> I have in the past bought my Double 0 or 00 flour from John Vince Foods. Don't recall pricing right but but I'll get pics soon.

> My regular cheese recently has been Galbani Pizza Mozzarella - it comes in 500g brick.

> MY preferred pepperoni is Ezzo Pepperoni. Only place I know in the GTA that sells it is O Nosso Talho. $3.50 for a quarter pound.
https://nossotalho.com/products/ezzo-al ... ces-1-4-lb
FYI for ppl who live in the North end, you can special order it at the Food Basics @ Major Mack and Bayview - O Nosso Talho has a shop in the store.

> tomatoes - up to now, I've primarily used home canned tomatoes but I'll be experimenting more going forward.

I'll post more stuff soon.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Newbie
Mar 22, 2022
71 posts
19 upvotes
Has anyone here been using the President Choice pizza oven?
I'm enjoying it a lot but having trouble with my crusts burning very fast, so I can't even turn the pie cause the dough is still setting, and my toppings (cheese) not getting browned.
How have you guys been doing?

On the plus side, I tried a new pie combo today, and it was phenomenal:
Light layer of mozzarella, thinly sliced persimmon, goat cheese, basil, and a balsamic reduction
Member
Mar 14, 2022
256 posts
233 upvotes
Outer GTA
I can get into this!

We do mostly cast iron pizza. I typically use the Josh Fenn Youtube recipe for my dough. I don't do the crust glaze typically. I have done the "blind bake" before toppings as well as omitting it - both are decent, but like the blind bake better.

Cooking temp, I run the oven wide open - as hot as I can get it. Cheese recently has been the fresh mozza from the case in the deli at the grocery store, however, I would like to try making my own cheese some day.

Also plan for some Weber kettle pizzas this summer

Edited to attach picture from my phone.
Images
  • 2C7B4804-0239-4D26-8D12-357E7B730E42.jpeg
I like yummy food!
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Sep 1, 2005
16671 posts
11399 upvotes
Markham
jspiegz wrote: Has anyone here been using the President Choice pizza oven?
I'm enjoying it a lot but having trouble with my crusts burning very fast, so I can't even turn the pie cause the dough is still setting, and my toppings (cheese) not getting browned.
How have you guys been doing?

On the plus side, I tried a new pie combo today, and it was phenomenal:
Light layer of mozzarella, thinly sliced persimmon, goat cheese, basil, and a balsamic reduction
I bought it but haven't used it yet.

Curious if you're running it at max heat throughout.

Perhaps preheat at max but turn it down a bit just before you launch a pie. This will reduce the flame at the back but the heat should still be there in the stone and the oven.

Pic?
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Sr. Member
Mar 14, 2013
610 posts
672 upvotes
Toronto
Anyone have a really simple crust recipe or recommendations for easy to buy crust?
Member
Mar 14, 2022
256 posts
233 upvotes
Outer GTA
btwitsmatt wrote: Anyone have a really simple crust recipe or recommendations for easy to buy crust?
I’ve also had good success with this recipe

It has hand stretched well for me.
I like yummy food!
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Sep 1, 2005
16671 posts
11399 upvotes
Markham
Firetech wrote: I can get into this!

We do mostly cast iron pizza. I typically use the Josh Fenn Youtube recipe for my dough. I don't do the crust glaze typically. I have done the "blind bake" before toppings as well as omitting it - both are decent, but like the blind bake better.

Cooking temp, I run the oven wide open - as hot as I can get it. Cheese recently has been the fresh mozza from the case in the deli at the grocery store, however, I would like to try making my own cheese some day.

Also plan for some Weber kettle pizzas this summer

Edited to attach picture from my phone.
Cast iron pies are good and different as it's thicker crusted/substantial. I do these more in the colder months as I don't use the oven as much during the summer.

For the kettle, perhaps try doing grilled pizza. I do this on my Propane grill.



ATK did their version of this grilled pizza. Really good pies but you do have to use cooked toppings.

We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Member
Mar 14, 2022
256 posts
233 upvotes
Outer GTA
gr8dlr wrote: Cast iron pies are good and different as it's thicker crusted/substantial. I do these more in the colder months as I don't use the oven as much during the summer.

For the kettle, perhaps try doing grilled pizza. I do this on my Propane grill.
Re cast iron - I transfer to the propane grill in the summer and do them there. Also have been known to rock the stone there in the summer as well. We don’t use the oven much in the summer either - a lot of grilling.

I’m going to try the grilled pizza. That looks good. What’s the worst that can happen.
I like yummy food!
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Sep 1, 2005
16671 posts
11399 upvotes
Markham
Firetech wrote: Re cast iron - I transfer to the propane grill in the summer and do them there. Also have been known to rock the stone there in the summer as well. We don’t use the oven much in the summer either - a lot of grilling.

I’m going to try the grilled pizza. That looks good. What’s the worst that can happen.
The grilled has a chew and a smokey char and a crisp..I really enjoy it. Go light on the toppings and stick to cooked or pre-cook toppings. I'm going to add to my toppings the thin sliced green onion which that place in Rhode Island uses.

The problem with grilled pizza/cast iron on the propane is not enough "top" heat.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
11779 posts
5691 upvotes
This reminds me I bought the pizza / rotisserie kit for my Kettle!

Still need to bust that thing out and break it in. Do people just leave the ring on after for regular cooking? I feel like it would expand the cooking abilities to smoke better, as it could raise the grate off the coils ( if it has the ability to mount it near the top that is ).

Does everyone make their own dough? I am not one for baking.... LOL.
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Sep 1, 2005
16671 posts
11399 upvotes
Markham
btwitsmatt wrote: Anyone have a really simple crust recipe or recommendations for easy to buy crust?
I've used this...and it's really simple ...72 hr cold ferment, no knead one. Good instruction in the video re. balling and shaping balls.



Not sure why Baking Steel has so many videos on the same thing.

Dough balls can be frozen...I like to freeze them in the plastic deli containers. Vito freezes them in flatter balls. Do it your own way or experiment.
To use it, move it from freezer to fridge the night before. On the day of, take it out of the fridge and leave it on the counter for an hour or so.

We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Member
Mar 14, 2022
256 posts
233 upvotes
Outer GTA
Gutty96 wrote: This reminds me I bought the pizza / rotisserie kit for my Kettle!

Still need to bust that thing out and break it in. Do people just leave the ring on after for regular cooking? I feel like it would expand the cooking abilities to smoke better, as it could raise the grate off the coils ( if it has the ability to mount it near the top that is ).

Does everyone make their own dough? I am not one for baking.... LOL.
Well, this just inspired an impromptu google session.

Anyone used a Kettle Pizza insert for their Weber?

Like this one


Edit: yes - always make own dough. Think I bought dough once in the past year because someone ended up coming over and I couldn’t make more fast enough.
I like yummy food!
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Sep 1, 2005
16671 posts
11399 upvotes
Markham
Gutty96 wrote: This reminds me I bought the pizza / rotisserie kit for my Kettle!

Still need to bust that thing out and break it in. Do people just leave the ring on after for regular cooking? I feel like it would expand the cooking abilities to smoke better, as it could raise the grate off the coils ( if it has the ability to mount it near the top that is ).

Does everyone make their own dough? I am not one for baking.... LOL.
Get your kids to make the dough...it's no knead so you can't mess it up.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Newbie
Mar 22, 2022
71 posts
19 upvotes
gr8dlr wrote: I bought it but haven't used it yet.

Curious if you're running it at max heat throughout.

Perhaps preheat at max but turn it down a bit just before you launch a pie. This will reduce the flame at the back but the heat should still be there in the stone and the oven.

Pic?
https://imgur.com/a/6ddwhUY Here are some pies from yesterday. First 3 is same pie!
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
11779 posts
5691 upvotes
gr8dlr wrote: Get your kids to make the dough...it's no knead so you can't mess it up.
That's a good idea!
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Sep 1, 2005
16671 posts
11399 upvotes
Markham
jspiegz wrote: https://imgur.com/a/6ddwhUY Here are some pies from yesterday. First 3 is same pie!
I think others have commented re turning down the heat once the the stone gets to temp. Enjoy the journey.

These ovens cook so fast, it's good to have a partner watch the cooking pie while you make another pie....until you get into the rhythm.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Newbie
Apr 30, 2015
71 posts
8 upvotes
Etobicoke, ON
Great topic!

I have been making pizzas in the oven for years. Mostly sheet pan pizzas then switched to a pizza stone. But recently I purchased an ooni pizza oven from Costco and it’s a game changer.

For me pizza is all in the dough and learning to make dough is very important. I have used store bought dough from different bakery’s in my area with good success in the oven, however not in the ooni. For the ooni you need to make a neopolitan style dough for best results

There is a great book that was gifted me me called “the pizza bible”. Great info on everything you need to know about pizza and the different types of dough all over the world.

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)