• Last Updated:
  • Jun 26th, 2022 5:09 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
16899 posts
11624 upvotes
Markham
chris416yyz wrote: Dangerous thread lol! I’ve been making my own pizza for a while now, just with a Pizza stone and my kitchen oven.Think I may jump in and get a pizza oven, are we all gas users or are there some wood fired users here? Tempted by one of the multi fuel from Ooni
Yes having a Pizza oven is dangerous...in a good way. I've been doing once a week pizzas since getting the PC Oven and I've already done experiments with it. Neopolitan, NY style, different doughs, even DIY door'd it.

I think most ppl are propane users. I think the multi-fuel one will cost roughly double what the PC one costs.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
[OP]
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
16899 posts
11624 upvotes
Markham
macro6 wrote: Here's mine using Poolish dough.

2022-05-26_19-03-48.jpg
Really good looking pizza you made there. $25+ at Libretto.

Do try the Ezzo pepperoni if you can...it'll add a textural element to the pizza due to the cupping which crisps up.

[OP]
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
16899 posts
11624 upvotes
Markham
singhownethu wrote: Any tips or suggestions are appreciated.
Nothing wrong with your pizza as they look well prepared and baked...only thing I'll say is it's not so fun turning on the oven during the summer months. For me summer means outside cooked pizzas.

Nov 29, 2005
551 posts
124 upvotes
gr8dlr wrote: Nothing wrong with your pizza as they look well prepared and baked...only thing I'll say is it's not so fun turning on the oven during the summer months. For me summer means outside cooked pizzas.
That is very true. I just dont want to spend the money on a pizza oven just yet. I have a steel pizza stone which has served me well, but it requires pre-cooking the dough just a bit before I put the toppings on and then back into the oven. I'm looking for different toppings and cheese ideas now. Great fun
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2004
1006 posts
155 upvotes
Toronto
gr8dlr wrote: Really good looking pizza you made there. $25+ at Libretto.

Do try the Ezzo pepperoni if you can...it'll add a textural element to the pizza due to the cupping which crisps up.
The pepperoni used in that pic is the piller's pepperoni... not my favorite.
I have used Venetian pepperoni and it was def my favorite pepperoni but they are never in stock at my local longos. I had to travel to Fortinos in vaughn to get some.

Where can I get ezzo in bulk?
[OP]
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
16899 posts
11624 upvotes
Markham
macro6 wrote: The pepperoni used in that pic is the piller's pepperoni... not my favorite.
I have used Venetian pepperoni and it was def my favorite pepperoni but they are never in stock at my local longos. I had to travel to Fortinos in vaughn to get some.

Where can I get ezzo in bulk?

If you can handle 5lbs, someone mentioned Mia Foods on Weston Rd has 5lbs for $46. Call to place order/check stock.

I breakdown the big pack into smaller ziploc bags.

Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2003
4214 posts
1330 upvotes
Finally fired up the PC oven
Made a fat boy for me
IMG_20220528_162915.jpg
Ebay - 284 - 0 - 0 | Heatware - 56 - 00 - 0
BST Feedback - 82 - 0 - 0 | Grailed - 100 - 0 - 0
Poshmark and Styleforum Feedback as well
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2005
3652 posts
1258 upvotes
Ottawa
This is a great thread and definitely used a good portion of it to start off my pizza adventure. I'm on my 5th cook now and I'm getting a hang of using the PC oven. The only thing I'm finding, maybe due to the thinness of the stone, is that it cools very quickly if you're cooking pizzas back to back very quickly. I like to host outdoor pizza parties and around at the 3rd to 4th pizza, I have to reheat the stone, which takes some time at max heat. Anyone know how to retain heat more efficiently or is this just a caveat of a budget pizza oven?. A friend has Ooni Koda 12 and the stone is much thicker than the PC one, however, he couldn't comment on the stone retaining heat and if it's better than the PC oven
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
48648 posts
12064 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
shadow_cruiser wrote: This is a great thread and definitely used a good portion of it to start off my pizza adventure. I'm on my 5th cook now and I'm getting a hang of using the PC oven. The only thing I'm finding, maybe due to the thinness of the stone, is that it cools very quickly if you're cooking pizzas back to back very quickly. I like to host outdoor pizza parties and around at the 3rd to 4th pizza, I have to reheat the stone, which takes some time at max heat. Anyone know how to retain heat more efficiently or is this just a caveat of a budget pizza oven?. A friend has Ooni Koda 12 and the stone is much thicker than the PC one, however, he couldn't comment on the stone retaining heat and if it's better than the PC oven
Hm. What if you put a pizza stone, on your pizza stone. Thinking Face
Mar 16, 2007
404 posts
284 upvotes
GTA
shadow_cruiser wrote: This is a great thread and definitely used a good portion of it to start off my pizza adventure. I'm on my 5th cook now and I'm getting a hang of using the PC oven. The only thing I'm finding, maybe due to the thinness of the stone, is that it cools very quickly if you're cooking pizzas back to back very quickly. I like to host outdoor pizza parties and around at the 3rd to 4th pizza, I have to reheat the stone, which takes some time at max heat. Anyone know how to retain heat more efficiently or is this just a caveat of a budget pizza oven?. A friend has Ooni Koda 12 and the stone is much thicker than the PC one, however, he couldn't comment on the stone retaining heat and if it's better than the PC oven
I have a Roccbox from a friend and I have cooked 7-8 pizzas back to back when having friends over with no issues. mind you, the oven weighs over 20 kgs and I would think it retains the heat better. I have also seen on youtube that people use 2 Roccbox on a truck for commercial purpose.
I would say the best you can do is to wait in between cooking pizzas and monitor the stone temperature unitl it reaches desired level or you can try what Urbanpoet suggested.
Nov 29, 2005
551 posts
124 upvotes
Made this pizza last night. This time I used fresh yeast in my recipe, I really believe it made a huge difference. The smell was just amazing.

I made this on a pizza stone in my oven.

Fresh Mozzarella, onions, and pepperoni from fortinos.

I have some fresh mozzarella from Eataly in the fridge for tonight, just wanted to get rid of my old cheese
IMG_1347.JPEG
Banned
Mar 14, 2022
392 posts
388 upvotes
Outer GTA
Thinking about sourdough pizza.

I usually cold ferment my dough for 3 days. If I use some sourdough starter in place of the yeast, I'm figuring I should add a day or two? Any experience or suggestions anyone can add?
Mar 16, 2007
404 posts
284 upvotes
GTA
singhownethu wrote: Made this pizza last night. This time I used fresh yeast in my recipe, I really believe it made a huge difference. The smell was just amazing.

I made this on a pizza stone in my oven.

Fresh Mozzarella, onions, and pepperoni from fortinos.

I have some fresh mozzarella from Eataly in the fridge for tonight, just wanted to get rid of my old cheese

IMG_1347.JPEG
where do you get fresh yeast?
Nov 29, 2005
551 posts
124 upvotes
nioero wrote: where do you get fresh yeast?
I got it from Eataly Toronto. You go to the bakery section, and they package it for you. 12g of fresh yeast was 84 cents
Mar 16, 2007
404 posts
284 upvotes
GTA
singhownethu wrote: I got it from Eataly Toronto. You go to the bakery section, and they package it for you. 12g of fresh yeast was 84 cents
nice...too bad I don't go to downtown often.
Jun 26, 2009
154 posts
162 upvotes
Fiancee and I have been using Adam Ragusea's dough recipe to great success on the pc oven. Key we've found is to preheat at medium heat for about 20mins prior, launch onto the stone and then drop flame to ultra-low. Once crust is as desired, crank back up to medium and lift the outer most edge high to assist in crisping the toppings, rotating often to prevent charring/burning. Havent timed the cooktime yet, but have had excellent consistent results with this method.

Once done a pie, crank to high to help the stone reheat for about 5mins while we prep the next pie. Should be up to suitable temp once the next pie is ready, drop heat to ultra-low, launch pie, repeat.

We were experiencing instant burn of the dough when preheated at max; have found out that the inclusion of oil (and sugar of any kind) in your dough recipe is the cause of this as both will burn past 700f.

It was an absolute nightmare starting out (broken pizzas with holes & charred pizzas) but now that we have perfected the method looking forward to getting creative.

I will let you all figure out which pictures below are of our first pizza and which is the most recent
Images
  • D8774881-E789-41C6-9012-EC4FF35AFA14.jpeg
  • 072111F8-E1B2-4353-861F-CEF56D787D8C.jpeg
  • DFBE0B5C-B091-4F5A-B6FE-6EA06833761F.jpeg
  • 925103DC-A993-43FB-B98A-D95E44EBF6A3.jpeg
  • B6960733-5F25-4C2C-9329-95B0F0A53AFC.jpeg
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2013
1359 posts
832 upvotes
Scarborough
Frankdood wrote: Fiancee and I have been using Adam Ragusea's dough recipe to great success on the pc oven. Key we've found is to preheat at medium heat for about 20mins prior, launch onto the stone and then drop flame to ultra-low. Once crust is as desired, crank back up to medium and lift the outer most edge high to assist in crisping the toppings, rotating often to prevent charring/burning. Havent timed the cooktime yet, but have had excellent consistent results with this method.

Once done a pie, crank to high to help the stone reheat for about 5mins while we prep the next pie. Should be up to suitable temp once the next pie is ready, drop heat to ultra-low, launch pie, repeat.

We were experiencing instant burn of the dough when preheated at max; have found out that the inclusion of oil (and sugar of any kind) in your dough recipe is the cause of this as both will burn past 700f.

It was an absolute nightmare starting out (broken pizzas with holes & charred pizzas) but now that we have perfected the method looking forward to getting creative.

I will let you all figure out which pictures below are of our first pizza and which is the most recent
Finally a pizza that looks like mine Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes.

Congrats and good luck on your journey.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2008
3763 posts
561 upvotes
Leuven
Bought a baking steel about a year ago for pizzas which has been great for getting better results in the oven. Biggest problem for me has always been getting the dough more workable. Main issue was the dough tearing instead of stretching nicely. I think my biggest problem was always being too rushed and not being able to give the dough enough time to rest ahead of stretching.

Tried that three day cold ferment dough that Gr8dlr posted and it was quite good. Easy enough process, and allowing for lots of resting time the dough was really easy to work with.

Now all I need is to find some pepperoni here
Images
  • PXL_20220530_162542461.MP.jpg
  • PXL_20220530_162547424.MP.jpg
Banned
Mar 14, 2022
392 posts
388 upvotes
Outer GTA
BongoBong wrote: Bought a baking steel about a year ago for pizzas which has been great for getting better results in the oven. Biggest problem for me has always been getting the dough more workable. Main issue was the dough tearing instead of stretching nicely. I think my biggest problem was always being too rushed and not being able to give the dough enough time to rest ahead of stretching.

Tried that three day cold ferment dough that Gr8dlr posted and it was quite good. Easy enough process, and allowing for lots of resting time the dough was really easy to work with.

Now all I need is to find some pepperoni here
I find most of my dough issues have been with rushing things.

I now treat my dough like waking my wife up in the morning. “Hand over the coffee and wait….” Same principle for pulling that dough out of the fridge - give it time to be ready to be worked.
Mar 16, 2007
404 posts
284 upvotes
GTA
Firetech wrote: I find most of my dough issues have been with rushing things.

I now treat my dough like waking my wife up in the morning. “Hand over the coffee and wait….” Same principle for pulling that dough out of the fridge - give it time to be ready to be worked.
how long do you let the dough sit after pulling out of fridge before forming dough balls?