Wheels and Tires

All tires different age (but weeks apart)

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 27th, 2018 2:25 pm
[OP]
Banned
Aug 27, 2017
142 posts
60 upvotes

All tires different age (but weeks apart)

It seems every car I've owned has had mismatched (age only, but same model/size) tires.

They've always had the same amount of tread and only be a few months apart age wise. (less than 6 months)

I don't see any issues with this since they've always been less than 5 years old and in good condition. BUT are there any potential issues I'm ignoring?
15 replies
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
8003 posts
3986 upvotes
Toronto
tawpkek wrote: It seems every car I've owned has had mismatched (age only, but same model/size) tires.

They've always had the same amount of tread and only be a few months apart age wise. (less than 6 months)

I don't see any issues with this since they've always been less than 5 years old and in good condition. BUT are there any potential issues I'm ignoring?
whole car is defective
Mar 12, 2018
162 posts
494 upvotes
tawpkek wrote: BUT are there any potential issues I'm ignoring?
posting in the correct forum
Banned
Dec 25, 2017
686 posts
484 upvotes
Rockwood
howdyhoe wrote: posting in the correct forum
At least it's in automotive and not hot deals?

As to the OP I've owned many cars, and bought many tires and never ran across this issue.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
5837 posts
4522 upvotes
No. 6 months are ok.

Rule of thumb, put the good tires in the rear axle, regardless of FWD/RWD/AWD.
[OP]
Banned
Aug 27, 2017
142 posts
60 upvotes
daivey wrote: whole car is defective
I can see why you're in the penalty box..
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
8633 posts
3072 upvotes
Xtrema wrote: No. 6 months are ok.

I keep reading about this on RFD, but does this not throw rotation out the window? Do you just rotate side to side? As some point, you need to rotate the better ones the front.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
5837 posts
4522 upvotes
Gutty96 wrote: I keep reading about this on RFD, but does this not throw rotation out the window? Do you just rotate side to side? As some point, you need to rotate the better ones the front.
This is more for people who like to replace only 2 tires, instead of all 4. If all 4 are wearing equally, rotation is fine. Unless the runs staggered sizes, or tire is directional, then rotation is limited.

Tire ages out between 6-10 years, regardless of thread depth. It's not saying you have throw it out at 6 years and 1 day but you will have to start watching out for failures as it ages.
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
4584 posts
5512 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Xtrema wrote: No. 6 months are ok.

10-20yrs ago, any reputable tire shop would tell you to put your good tires in the front axle as those are used for steering, and helps even tire wear.

For some reason, in the past 5 years or so, I've started seeing more tire vendors(including TireRack) make recommendations that the good tires should be on the back, presumably to minimize chance of oversteer, which is generally deemed harder to correct than understeer for the average driver. But this means that the fronts are more worn to start, and will only wear even more from the higher loads(from steering and braking), eventually resulting in 2 pairs of tires which are significantly different in tread requiring replacement of either 2 or all 4 tires. I can't help but think that it's a tactic to increase sales. In some situations, maybe it'll help. Whatever the case, I'm sticking with, good tires in the front.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
5837 posts
4522 upvotes
er34er34 wrote: 10-20yrs ago, any reputable tire shop would tell you to put your good tires in the front axle as those are used for steering, and helps even tire wear.

For some reason, in the past 5 years or so, I've started seeing more tire vendors(including TireRack) make recommendations that the good tires should be on the back, presumably to minimize chance of oversteer, which is generally deemed harder to correct than understeer for the average driver. But this means that the fronts are more worn to start, and will only wear even more from the higher loads(from steering and braking), eventually resulting in 2 pairs of tires which are significantly different in tread requiring replacement of either 2 or all 4 tires. I can't help but think that it's a tactic to increase sales. In some situations, maybe it'll help. Whatever the case, I'm sticking with, good tires in the front.
Again, the recommendation is, change all 4 if you can. Let them wear evenly over the life of the vehicle through rotation.

If you can only afford to change 2, put in the rear will more likely save your life in emergencies, until you can afford to change the front 2 tires.

Anyway, it's just a recommendation, that's all.
Last edited by Xtrema on Jun 18th, 2018 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15142 posts
16141 upvotes
Oakville
er34er34 wrote: 10-20yrs ago, any reputable tire shop would tell you to put your good tires in the front axle as those are used for steering, and helps even tire wear.

You're right, it is done for safety as most idiot drivers wouldn't know oversteer from overwatch. It doesn't result in more tires sold though, as when you replace your worn front tires, you put the rear ones up front and the new ones in the back. It's really a non-issue though if you properly rotate your tires in the first place.
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
4584 posts
5512 upvotes
Toronto, ON
engineered wrote: It doesn't result in more tires sold though, as when you replace your worn front tires, you put the rear ones up front and the new ones in the back.
Could be just me, but when I have two tires requiring replacement, I would consider just replacing all 4 at the same time regardless of remaining tread. It's an opportunity to switch and try another tire brand or line. If I keep buying two new ones and use the "good in back" method, I'm always going to run into that dilemma.

But honestly I haven't had many unbalanced wear tires except in my RWD staggered setup cars.
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
8003 posts
3986 upvotes
Toronto
engineered wrote: You're right, it is done for safety as most idiot drivers wouldn't know oversteer from overwatch. It doesn't result in more tires sold though, as when you replace your worn front tires, you put the rear ones up front and the new ones in the back. It's really a non-issue though if you properly rotate your tires in the first place.
I like putting my worn out tires in the back. As I learned this winter the hard way, why you shouldn't do that.

but, I can't climb that hill with my worn out tires in the front :(
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
4089 posts
1315 upvotes
Oshawa
BIG DEAL! If they were all installed at the same time ... it makes NO DIFFERENCE!
16' x 11' Living Room with 11' Cathedral Ceiling. 65" Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers (FR+FL). Polk Audio S35 (Center). Klipsch R51M (RR+RL). Klipsch R14M (Dolby FHR+Dolby FHL). Polk Audio HTS10 Subwoofer x 2.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15142 posts
16141 upvotes
Oakville
AV-Fishing wrote: BIG DEAL! If they were all installed at the same time ... it makes NO DIFFERENCE!
Yea, as long as they aren't more than 6 months apart there's no worries. Any more than that and the compound may differ, and over a year apart and you'd worry about them aging differently.