Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2006
1690 posts
775 upvotes
Toronto

All Way Stop with Pedestrian

Car A arrives at all way stop sign going south to north.
Car B arrives after Car A, going west to east.
Car A gets blocked from going because pedestrian is crossing.

Does Car B gets bumped in priority to get right of way?
Or
Does Car B needs to wait for Car A?

MTO only states who gets there first gets the right of way, and have to yield to pedestrian all the time.
Seems like a gray area, where courtesy defines the outcome.
But if an accident happens, who has the right of way?
45 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35219 posts
21192 upvotes
Center of Universe
All vehicles came to a complete, stop...there is no reason to collide with one another.
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
1807 posts
1152 upvotes
Car A should have the right of way, but if Car B is a dick it doesn't mean that Car A can smash into them.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35219 posts
21192 upvotes
Center of Universe
Why wait and hold traffic longer, considering Car A needs to wait until the pedestrian completes the crossing?
This is why I prefer a roundabout...you hesitate to merge in, tough!
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
11659 posts
8097 upvotes
GTA, ON
Well, is the pedestrian in the way of car B going West to East while car A waits for same said pedestrian to cross its path?
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
May 20, 2010
795 posts
106 upvotes
Car A has right of way, but if car B can go without interfering with car A or the pedestrian, no sane person is going to care.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2006
1690 posts
775 upvotes
Toronto
chimaican wrote: Well, is the pedestrian in the way of car B going West to East while car A waits for same said pedestrian to cross its path?
Pedestrian is crossing West to East.
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
24741 posts
1874 upvotes
Markham, ON
yup...if i was car A...go right ahead car b....
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2006
1690 posts
775 upvotes
Toronto
That's what I thought, of course if there was a granny crossing, I wouldn't expect car B to wait it out.
Apr 15, 2014
955 posts
815 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Car A should run over the pedestrian in this situation.
Please respond
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15633 posts
16776 upvotes
Oakville
If I'm car A, I'm all for car B going while I'm blocked by the pedestrian as it improves traffic efficiency.
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
1807 posts
1152 upvotes
vkizzle wrote: Why wait and hold traffic longer, considering Car A needs to wait until the pedestrian completes the crossing?
This is why I prefer a roundabout...you hesitate to merge in, tough!
Not everyone is in a huge hurry like you are. Who cares if traffic is held up by another couple of seconds if it means avoiding a collision? And based on your roundabout comment, are you one of these idiots that are going like 60km/h whipping through a roundabout?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35219 posts
21192 upvotes
Center of Universe
fusion2k2k wrote: Not everyone is in a huge hurry like you are. Who cares if traffic is held up by another couple of seconds if it means avoiding a collision? And based on your roundabout comment, are you one of these idiots that are going like 60km/h whipping through a roundabout?
Wow, judgmental much?
Do you think you and I are the only vehicles on the road?
Why should vehicle B wait and hold traffic behind them, because vehicle A is a snowflake and has to go first, despite waiting for a pedestrian to cross?
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
1807 posts
1152 upvotes
vkizzle wrote: Wow, judgmental much?
Do you think you and I are the only vehicles on the road?
Why should vehicle B wait and hold traffic behind them, because vehicle A is a snowflake and has to go first, despite waiting for a pedestrian to cross?
Because trying to take the right of way from someone, especially when there is a pedestrian nearby, is dangerous. I don't care if there is hundreds of vehicles on the road, if you get into an accident then you are a huge hassle to everyone. Saving 10 seconds by dangerously pulling in front of someone does nothing for anyone besides you.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35219 posts
21192 upvotes
Center of Universe
fusion2k2k wrote: Because trying to take the right of way from someone, especially when there is a pedestrian nearby, is dangerous. I don't care if there is hundreds of vehicles on the road, if you get into an accident then you are a huge hassle to everyone. Saving 10 seconds by dangerously pulling in front of someone does nothing for anyone besides you.
What accident???
Pedestrian is crossing in parallel and Car A is stopped and has to wait!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2006
1690 posts
775 upvotes
Toronto
vkizzle wrote: What accident???
Pedestrian is crossing in parallel and Car A is stopped and has to wait!
That's where it's a bit of a gray area, because Car B has to judge from his POV how long the pedestrian will block Car A.
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
13762 posts
7462 upvotes
Southern Ontario
This is common sense. If the other car is prevented from having the right of way by a crossing pedestrian who has no effect on me, I’m going. If said pedestrian has already crossed the other car’s bumper, I have no idea whether that driver will follow the new law of waiting for the pedestrian to completely make it across, I’m going to wait and not play chicken. I may even wave my hand if there is eye contact so they know they can go first.
Deal Guru
Jan 9, 2011
10062 posts
12029 upvotes
Vancouver
fusion2k2k wrote: Car A should have the right of way, but if Car B is a dick it doesn't mean that Car A can smash into them.
Car B is not being a dick by going when it's clear to go. Car A is blocked by crossing pedestrian. If Car B sits and waits, what good does that do anyone? What if there's a whole string of pedestrians coming, like a school on a field trip? Car B is supposed to wait there the whole time, blocking people behind him, because Car A got there first a long time before?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2006
1690 posts
775 upvotes
Toronto
AncasterRFD wrote: This is common sense. If the other car is prevented from having the right of way by a crossing pedestrian who has no effect on me, I’m going. If said pedestrian has already crossed the other car’s bumper, I have no idea whether that driver will follow the new law of waiting for the pedestrian to completely make it across, I’m going to wait and not play chicken. I may even wave my hand if there is eye contact so they know they can go first.
I believe the complete crossing thing is only for the blinking crosswalk with the yellow X over top. Not the everyday stop signs intersections.