Food & Drink

For all the wine experts.. which one to buy to store for many years?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 5th, 2020 1:40 pm
Deal Addict
May 16, 2005
2840 posts
226 upvotes
patrickkc wrote: Yep, birth year of my kid last year.. but the more I read.. I'm afraid it might be a lot more complicated than I had thought. Astonished Face
Yes, storing wine for long term consumption can be a big hassle, and more trouble than its worth.
If you are not really a 'wine' guy, and don't plan to have a wine cellar/cabinet/fridge, I'll probably go with one of these options:
1)Forget about storing the wine yourself. Buy the wine in the open market in 19 years time. You should be able to pick up some 2019 wine in 2039. You may have to pay a bit more, and the selection will be less, but you save yourself the headache of worrying about a case of wine oxidating and cooking. You may have to look into the US when buying, as they have larger supplies of wine vendors. But who knows what the world looks like in 19 years...Maybe the Ontario laws will change by then and you can ship wine into Ontario...Or you may not even be living in Canada.
2) If you are deadset on storing your own wine, then maybe just pick a 'cheaper' wine, put it away in your basement, and take the risk of the wine not drinkable in 19 years...It'll just be a novelty item for the celebration. don't put too much into it...maybe some 10-20 dollar Malbecs. If it still tastes good, then its a bonus.
3) Get some Port or Sherry to store for the 19 years. Port is not as susceptible to heat as non-fortified wines.
Oct 8, 2005
157 posts
69 upvotes
Montréal
On the storage, a home basement can do fine as long as the temperature stays in a 18-22° range (keep away from the furnace) and the wine is left alone. I recently opened a 2005 Bordeaux (so 15 years old), which I paid less than $40, that had been laying there 12 years. It was delicious, with years still ahead of him and the cork looked brand new.
Oct 3, 2017
654 posts
489 upvotes
Cough wrote: With respect to Commie above. While Bordeaux generally are considered good aging wines, my experience over the years with medium priced (ie $30) Bordeaux is that they have not aged well. Frankly I have done better with Chilean, Argentinian, Australian heavy reds - Malbecs or Cab Sauv etc. Right now I have to say that of my 1995-2005 wines (so around 20 years old) I am far happier with the new world wines.
Depending on which French wines you cellared and the specific year it could also be that they are not ready yet. High quality age worthy wine can be very drinkable when young and then they close up for many years and are nothing special. And then they can re-emerge transformed into something else entirely.

So many factors involved, how it was cellared both in your care and before purchase. And the wine itself.

But those old bottles when great can be other worldly.

Under $30 a bottle is not often great for cellaring. Think less bottles for more $$

I would look into cellaring Sauternes. 2019 aren't out yet but looks like a good year from what I just looked up.

Vintage ports too.

Don't be hung up on red or dry. Anyone I have served old bottles of Sauternes and port, many never having tried wines like this before, have always been blown away.