Credit Cards

Locked: Are All Of You Paying Ridiculous Fees With VISA?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 17th, 2019 11:33 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Banned
Dec 15, 2017
1847 posts
595 upvotes
Toronto

Are All Of You Paying Ridiculous Fees With VISA?

I seldom use my TD Visa and for a good reason, its ridiculous 19.99% for purchases and 24.99% for cash advances. Now they sent me a letter (along with my new Visa card) that they are going to increase those fees to 24.99% and a whopping 29.99% respectively, or 5 points on each. Are these guys off the wall? My BMO MasterCard is 12.99%.

Im wondering if others are being charged these usurious prices too, my card doesn't have anything special to justify these stiff interest rates. Do any of you know if I can get a VISA with less interests anywhere else besides TD? (they are not my bank btw).

P.S. Their new card sent to me is valid only for 1 year, whereas the old one was for 5 years. Like if I care, at those rates.
Share:
70 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2011
1944 posts
331 upvotes
GTA
do you carry balances? This is irrelevant if you pay it off the entire balance by the due date
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2017
1439 posts
790 upvotes
TD is kinda like a bank for subprime lending to people that really can't get credit. Usually interest rates will go up for people who miss payments or have shitty credit
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2004
4144 posts
1197 upvotes
Vancouver
MusicBox wrote: Im wondering if others are being charged these usurious prices too, my card doesn't have anything special to justify these stiff interest rates. Do any of you know if I can get a VISA with less interests anywhere else besides TD? (they are not my bank btw).
Aside from promotional offers and special "low-interest" cards, 19.99% is about standard for most cards with most banks. American Express charge cards have a penalty rate of 30%. I bet you that 12.99% BMO card you have has even less benefits than your TD card. Also, rates usually increase for existing cardholders if they've missed a minimum payment or are otherwise delinquent. If on a promotional offer, missing a minimum payment can trigger the promotion to end.

Best just to use a credit card to borrow money for up to 51-ish days interest free.
Removed external link in signature.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
3102 posts
1515 upvotes
MusicBox wrote: I seldom use my TD Visa and for a good reason, its ridiculous 19.99% for purchases and 24.99% for cash advances. Now they sent me a letter (along with my new Visa card) that they are going to increase those fees to 24.99% and a whopping 29.99% respectively, or 5 points on each. Are these guys off the wall? My BMO MasterCard is 12.99%.

Im wondering if others are being charged these usurious prices too, my card doesn't have anything special to justify these stiff interest rates. Do any of you know if I can get a VISA with less interests anywhere else besides TD? (they are not my bank btw).

P.S. Their new card sent to me is valid only for 1 year, whereas the old one was for 5 years. Like if I care, at those rates.
Any card-carrying RFD member knows they'd have their membership revoked if they were carrying a balance on anything other than a balance transfer promotional rate.

So... to answer your question, no... all of us are not paying ridiculous fees ( interest ) with VISA. In fact, many of us are carrying charge cards, which have interest rates of 30% on money not paid on time.
I'd love to write history... in advance.
AMEX Biz Plat 75K AGAIN! | Plat 60K | Biz Gold 40K | Gold 25K | SPG 20K
Deal Addict
May 16, 2017
1422 posts
1773 upvotes
Anyone that cares what credit card interest rates are should not be using credit cards as a lending source, unless they are able to manage their finances (as suggested above) and card churning to net interest rates far below the standard card rates.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
5681 posts
5076 upvotes
MusicBox wrote: I seldom use my TD Visa and for a good reason, its ridiculous 19.99% for purchases and 24.99% for cash advances. Now they sent me a letter (along with my new Visa card) that they are going to increase those fees to 24.99% and a whopping 29.99% respectively, or 5 points on each. Are these guys off the wall? My BMO MasterCard is 12.99%.

I've never paid a dollar of interest on a credit card in my life. Doesn't matter what the rate is.
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2016
3573 posts
3054 upvotes
Regardless of the usual RFD brag of being a savvy consumer, I am quite curious how can TD pull this 29.99% rate?

I thought there was a limit to how much interest you can charge. This is no better than being a loan shark and not a bank.

Thank you for this thread OP. I think I will be paying off my mortgage and switching banks. Although credit rates don't affect me, the forex fee was the last straw for me.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
43709 posts
6938 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
BiegeToyota wrote: Regardless of the usual RFD brag of being a savvy consumer, I am quite curious how can TD pull this 29.99% rate?

I thought there was a limit to how much interest you can charge. This is no better than being a loan shark and not a bank.

Thank you for this thread OP. I think I will be paying off my mortgage and switching banks. Although credit rates don't affect me, the forex fee was the last straw for me.
29.99% is no where near the max. Which is 59.99% in ontario.
But 29% is like the higher types of credit cards. Like people who miss payments all the time.
Aug 26, 2013
72 posts
31 upvotes
Oakville
superfresh89 wrote: I've never paid a dollar of interest on a credit card in my life. Doesn't matter what the rate is.
I haven't paid a dollar either... Never have in close to 30 years of having a credit card... And never will, for the rest of my life...
Aug 26, 2013
72 posts
31 upvotes
Oakville
UrbanPoet wrote: I dont really carry a balance on my cc.
When things get hairy i use a line of credit at a much much lower interest rate.
I agree... I setup 2x small PULOCs, one with TD and the other with BMO, specifically for those "tight" times... Much LESS interest on a PULOC compared to ANY modern-day Credit Card...
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2018
1223 posts
1234 upvotes
I couldn't even tell you what the interest is on my credit cards. I don't carry a balance ever.

If I was ever going to need to carry a balance, I would just use my heloc @3.95%
Jul 25, 2008
400 posts
274 upvotes
ottawa
yeah, seriously, we need the government to regulate private enterprise more.
Last edited by Redmask on Mar 20th, 2018 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed nested quote
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2016
3573 posts
3054 upvotes
danishh wrote: yeah, seriously, we need the government to regulate private enterprise more.
She put a cap on 1.8% rent increase.

I don't see why she shouldn't put a cap on 60% cc rates.

Why do one and not the other?