16 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2002
2533 posts
477 upvotes
Burlington
So expensive, but Soooo comfortable.
Too bad the Dalton's I want aren't 70% off
Not your standard VoIP. Different and novel options & advice for my RFD friends.
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2017
1441 posts
2795 upvotes
Sick deal, but shipping to Canada is insane. Better off driving to the border, the US site also has better deals.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
4722 posts
1541 upvotes
Toronto
kimwoobingsu wrote: Sick deal, but shipping to Canada is insane. Better off driving to the border, the US site also has better deals.
Also worthwhile checking Amazon, if you don't need anything specific or urgent. Sometimes some sizes will go ridiculously cheap and you can get lucky. Picked up a pair of Park Avenues for $120.
Aug 16, 2009
323 posts
210 upvotes
wiffle wrote: how is AE sizing?
Pretty true to size but depends on the style.
I find the classic styles like my Strand and Park Avenue are true to size or a little big but more modern styles like my Burton and Delray are true to size or a little small.
Either way the difference is a half size or less. I wouldn't say size up or size down.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2015
1910 posts
504 upvotes
Kleinburg, ON.
Shipping and duties/taxes is like half the price of most of these shoes... oy!

My 2 pairs of AEs will have to wait for their 3rd brother...

Note that Harry Rosen Outlet does have AEs from time to time at $299 most often. They retail for $399-$450 at their main stores.

On that note, I've had a pair of AEs for 7 years now and they're still going strong. I'm about to send it back for their recrafting service. Point is, AE's last really long with maintenance.
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2009
1712 posts
154 upvotes
Toronto
Bought 2 pairs on black friday for 345 USD. Shipped it to my brother in the states, patiently waiting for the next time he visits *_*
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
2893 posts
2942 upvotes
GTA
Best value in goodyear welt dress shoes. I bought 2 pairs on sale years ago.
JKKim2983 wrote: Note that Harry Rosen Outlet does have AEs from time to time at $299 most often. They retail for $399-$450 at their main stores.
Harry Rosen has a terrible selection of AE at both their outlet and retail locations. I wasted so much time driving and searching. Would not recommend anyone do the same. That's pretty much the case for all brick-and-mortar shoe stores in the GTA. I spent a day or two searching in stores and only found one pair at Nordstrom, and one pair at Harry Rosen (not the outlet).

Just buy them directly from AE when they're on sale. Same price, but full selection (models, colours, sizes, and widths). A pair cost me $350 CAD after shipping, exchange rate, and taxes/duties.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
2893 posts
2942 upvotes
GTA
Next steps up are $400 CAD Loding's or $700 CAD Alden's. Gotta pay to play when it comes to GYW shoes.
Jan 19, 2018
543 posts
349 upvotes
I read somewhere that most of the shoe is now made in South America and finished in the U.S just so they can still continue to claim it’s “Made In USA”. The quality decline is something I’ve been reading more about these days than in previous years.
Jan 24, 2015
430 posts
241 upvotes
GTA
derass wrote: A pair cost me $350 CAD after shipping, exchange rate, and taxes/duties.
how much was shipping, taxes and duties when ordering from AE's website?

i bought two pairs from amazon on boxing day 3 years ago, $260 each after taxes (free shipping). but honestly haven't been taking care of them as well as i should have and should get another pair.

each boxing day i check, and they're $500+
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2009
1712 posts
154 upvotes
Toronto
Brook Brother's line of shoes are made by Allen Edmonds too, not sure if RFDers know. but you can try the sizing at BB.
the prices are similar as well...look for those weird discounts that BB sends like 25-35% off an item.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2011
7861 posts
2579 upvotes
Toronto
derass wrote: Next steps up are $400 CAD Loding's or $700 CAD Alden's. Gotta pay to play when it comes to GYW shoes.
I do love the guy who did the dyes for Loding. Has his own shop now and his shoes are ~$1500 ballpark. Ouch.