Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Allen Edmonds

US - Allen Edmonds Rediscover America Sale: Up to 50% off and an extra 20% off Factory Seconds

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 13th, 2019 12:46 pm
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2011
1240 posts
1915 upvotes
djemzine wrote: Where is Tod’s located?

Do they sell wide width and meant for a long duration and walking distance? My AE shoes that I have since 2015 are nice but after few hours or walking for a long period, my feet and toes start to hurt. Then I get blisters around some of my toes.

Is there such a comfy dress shoe that’s great looking, wide width or extra wide width and meant for long periods of usage on a day to day basis with a good amount of walking? I wear my dress shoes for more than 8 hours a day. At the most 12-13 hours non stop.
There isn't a Tod's brand store in Canada (rumor is there is one opening soon :)
As mentioned you can try them at Harry Rosen (OK selection at some stores), Saks & Holt Renfrew (limited selection) and Nordstrom (very limited). They do ship to Canada with free returns now if you are OK with shopping online. I tend to buy online as have got the sizes down pat. If you are open to that I recommend Farfetch, Cettiri, Raffaello Network, iKrix (haven't tried yet). I suggest you try them in store as they are exceptional as far as comfort. Shoe width depends on the style as I find their boots to be wide enough. Hogan also the same parent company offers a little more comfort but are a bit more casual. Their newish memory foam sole is exceptional for the derby shoes I bought this year.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
47027 posts
9310 upvotes
Masernaut wrote: Made in Portugal with Weinheimer leather uppers. Goodyear Welted, single leather sole, stacked heel etc. etc.

If they're working with the factory that I think they are, the quality should be good. TBH, when it comes to Goodyear Welted shoes, the three main things are leather quality, stitching and construction.

These days, outside of the established brands (AE/Alden/C&J/Church's etc.), everyone outsources their shoe-making to factories in Spain or Portugal, which are generally well made.
Ah yes. I was reading that they have it made in Portugal. I've gone to London Bespoke Club here in the GTA and ordered a pair of shoes that's also Goodyear Welt made in Spain. Took a good month and a half to come in. Fits nice and comfy but I have to break in the shoes properly. Is it common to get blisters the first time around? Lol.
Blanka
Deal Addict
Mar 1, 2012
2484 posts
3179 upvotes
Ottawa
djemzine wrote: Ah yes. I was reading that they have it made in Portugal. I've gone to London Bespoke Club here in the GTA and ordered a pair of shoes that's also Goodyear Welt made in Spain. Took a good month and a half to come in. Fits nice and comfy but I have to break in the shoes properly. Is it common to get blisters the first time around? Lol.
Was that Meermin by any chance? Meermin is known to be really harsh when breaking in the shoe. But generally, with leather shoes and leather soles, there is a brief break-in period as the shoes conform to your feet. I've found the break-in period to be only 3-5 wears before it's nice and comfortable.

Try using thicker wool socks in the future to speed up the break-in process. Should prevent blisters and stretch the leather a bit.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
47027 posts
9310 upvotes
Masernaut wrote: Was that Meermin by any chance? Meermin is known to be really harsh when breaking in the shoe. But generally, with leather shoes and leather soles, there is a brief break-in period as the shoes conform to your feet. I've found the break-in period to be only 3-5 wears before it's nice and comfortable.

Try using thicker wool socks in the future to speed up the break-in process. Should prevent blisters and stretch the leather a bit.
It was the custom shoe I ordered from London Bespoke Club. I'll try to wear thicker wool socks to break it in quicker and to avoid blisters. The first day I wore it was for 12 hours or so, so maybe that's why I got a lot of blisters?
Blanka
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2011
1240 posts
1915 upvotes
djemzine wrote: Ah yes. I was reading that they have it made in Portugal. I've gone to London Bespoke Club here in the GTA and ordered a pair of shoes that's also Goodyear Welt made in Spain. Took a good month and a half to come in. Fits nice and comfy but I have to break in the shoes properly. Is it common to get blisters the first time around? Lol.
Call me cynical I don't believe in breaking in shoes anymore. A comfortable shoe should be comfy from the get go not the other way around. I started out with the same mind set that oh a good pair of shoes need to be broken in but Tod's/Hogans have changed my mind. I do tend to wear out the heels rather quick due to inward slanted feet. If you get lucky I have picked up Tod's for around 250-300$ price range at Winners/Marshalls and at Nordstrom Rack on rare occasions.
Deal Addict
Mar 1, 2012
2484 posts
3179 upvotes
Ottawa
djemzine wrote: It was the custom shoe I ordered from London Bespoke Club. I'll try to wear thicker wool socks to break it in quicker and to avoid blisters. The first day I wore it was for 12 hours or so, so maybe that's why I got a lot of blisters?
Yeah, that's a long time to wear new shoe. I'd wear it for a max 3-4 hours on the first wear - and that would be indoors.
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
28752 posts
1370 upvotes
PunkeyDoodles Corner…
I'm surprised I haven't seen this thread yet. I've given up hope with AE directly from the US. I'm not in a cross-border town, so a good $100+ of the costs for a Canadian don't magically disappear.

If you're into 2nds, 2 months ago you missed out on their 30% off sale if you spent over the $300 or whatever it was (basically 2 shoes).

Nordstrom carries/carried AE's.
Nordstrom Rack carries a couple random models of them, good to see how different the Lasts fit. In Ottawa they're in the $187cad mark. Definately no Daltons, no Strands, or McAllisters. The Plain toe, capt toe & most recently I saw a Fenton (Chukka), beautiful but way too pricey for what it was imho so I passed.

If anybody wants a 9.9/10 10.5C McAllister 2nd in Dark Chilli, pm, I bought it but it's a hair small for me. If you're interested in any other sizes or what not, pm your size and budget, I'll see what I have.

Red Wing Iron Rangers, Wolverine 1000mile, Taft Rare Boot BNIB, you get the drift., Vintage army style ankle boots, Bostonians etc etc.

Even at 50% off, with AE's direct from website shipping and customs charges you're looking at nearly double the price. I got Strands up to $700CAD last time I tried ordering direct. It was absurd. Meanwhile shoebank can have you get 2 shoes for less than half of that. If you get lucky, there are a bunch of various AE's on Kijiji also. Some are brand new. I wonder who those people are who clearly paid full retail price for them at Nordstrom or Harry Rosen in Canada & then try to go and sell them. Dream on lol. I could order them new from the US for far LESS than what you're trying to flip them for.

AE is attractive to people because of their lasts & widths. I don't know of anybody else in that price point that offers the variety of options. The trick is just finding older quality LNIB/BNIB models for sale & scoop those up.

Can we talk about FightClub? #AEE ;)
PayTM$154, dead. SDM: $5342 Rakuten: $181.98
100% Established: BST; Heat; FB market; Kijiji *BST: FS Mens Shoes & Boots: Viberg, Allend Edmonds, Red Wings, misc,*
*Various Szs Vintage: Florsheim Imperial
Sep 30, 2009
87 posts
13 upvotes
bobohobo2kx wrote: Harry Rosen.
Do you know any specific locations? I went to Sherway Gardens and the Eaton centre location but didn't see any.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2018
1563 posts
1030 upvotes
RAND0M1ZER wrote: Do you know any specific locations? I went to Sherway Gardens and the Eaton centre location but didn't see any.
Yorkdale Mall and I believe Bloor St location as well.
May 17, 2004
768 posts
77 upvotes
Harry Rosen and Nordstrom (Canada) stopped carrying AE.
So there is some misinformation on this thread.

You might find a random pair at Nordstrom rack where they sell older inventory at times.
Heatware:
http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=32192

Ebay:
Over 100 Feedback under "techtoys2002"
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2008
1262 posts
146 upvotes
Deals like this are effectively not a deal for Canadians when you factor in the extortionate duty and border charges unfortunately. The only time I'd order is if I shipped it to my US mailbox or something like Stackry to be re-shipped to Canada, because you're paying like double the price you see after all the fees lol
Nov 4, 2011
5 posts
1 upvote
TORONTO
There is an online store out of Vancouver called Mehra that carries a lot nice shoes. I've bought from them before, good selection and service.

They have Gaziano & Girling, Corthay, Vass and others.

Link below.

www.shopmehra.com
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2006
2042 posts
2338 upvotes
Club Monaco also stocks them. They always have a sale a few times a year.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2009
5735 posts
1585 upvotes
Montreal
big_willy wrote: I was a huge fan of AE shoes but ever since Caleres purchased them in 2016 quality has gone straight downhill.
Even their first quality shoes have significant defects and their new lines are all low quality offerings.
I still have over 10 pairs of AE shoes and have enjoyed them but won't be buying anymore.

Feels like a consultant came in an did an exercise on lean operations management. Quality is gone... :(
unshavenyak wrote: Ugh. I have five pairs and now you have me nervous. Any brand on your radar to replace them?

Edit: I did some digging and it looks like the quality of all hides is on the decline due to a booming economy and demand for beef and leather goods. Alden looks like they've held the line on quality, but price has gone up by about 10 - 15% to reflect that.
Carmina has better quality control and sleeker looks. The problem is that those Euro brands are not widely available in North America.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)