Automotive

Allstate wanted to deny insurance to drivers in Brampton, Ont.

• Last Updated:
  • May 21st, 2019 11:29 am
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 23, 2008
12284 posts
1165 upvotes
Brampton

Allstate wanted to deny insurance to drivers in Brampton, Ont.

Why does Allstate want to cut off Brampton from auto insurance? So many vehicles, like 3 cars for every home, which is a lot of customers. What do you think about this discrimination? Any peeps from Brampton here that feel discriminated against? Did Allstate refuse to insure you? Did they stop insuring you?

CBC News.
Lets Go Blue Jays!!!
61 replies
Deal Guru
Apr 4, 2001
11646 posts
506 upvotes
The article actually says that they wanted to stop selling insurance in Brampton, period.

Brampton happens to have a lot of visible minorities, but so do Mississauga and Toronto. This is beside the point.

Anyone who knows Brampton should not be surprised. It is not a nice place in any shape or form.
Apr 15, 2014
959 posts
820 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I have a feeling that they cut people because they're bad drivers and not because of skin tone.
Please respond
Banned
Dec 15, 2017
1847 posts
596 upvotes
Toronto
Please lets make insurance a crown entity and lets kick out all these private corporations, enough is enough.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
17933 posts
20126 upvotes
OP is ignorant of the insurance environment in Brampton.

@mbg is being generous. It's a shitshow in Brampton, between the reckless driving, the outright fraud, and weak testing protocols in the drive test centers there... the result is higher premiums for everyone... and a major insurer exiting the market.

The title is pure clickbait, you can't force a business to operate in a market.
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2017
4179 posts
2075 upvotes
Allstate strikes back with a $700K lawsuit. That doesn't set a good precedence...
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2014
1469 posts
358 upvotes
Toronto, ON
redflagdealsguy wrote: OP is ignorant of the insurance environment in Brampton.

@mbg is being generous. It's a shitshow in Brampton, between the reckless driving, the outright fraud, and weak testing protocols in the drive test centers there... the result is higher premiums for everyone... and a major insurer exiting the market.

It's funny because Brampton's test center is considered one of the hardest in all Ontario.

The problem is that people in Brampton are not taking their driving test in Brampton
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
17933 posts
20126 upvotes
danny3526 wrote: It's funny because Brampton's test center is considered one of the hardest in all Ontario.
I humbly disagree.
The problem is that people in Brampton are not taking their driving test in Brampton
The majority of the problem is simply reckless driving. Drive test standards help, but people fake a good drive for the test all the time.

I've never looked for this but I imagine there's plenty of Brampton dashcam videos on YouTube... anecdotally demonstrating this recklessness.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 23, 2008
12284 posts
1165 upvotes
Brampton
MusicBox wrote: Please lets make insurance a crown entity and lets kick out all these private corporations, enough is enough.
I think that is how insurance works in BC.
Lets Go Blue Jays!!!
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 23, 2008
12284 posts
1165 upvotes
Brampton
redflagdealsguy wrote: OP is ignorant of the insurance environment in Brampton.

It's not click bait. A former employee is making it known of the bias against Brampton, which is made up of a ethnic minority group. In return they are getting counter sued for like 600k. A bias against a minority is racist.
Lets Go Blue Jays!!!
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
17933 posts
20126 upvotes
cheapmeister wrote: It's not click bait. A former employee is making it known of the bias against Brampton, which is made up of a ethnic minority group. In return they are getting counter sued for like 600k. A bias against a minority is racist.
You're taking a claim, which you simply assume as true without factual evidence, and then judge the insurer by that assumption. There's a giant leap of faith there.

Brampton is a city, it's not a minority.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2008
6083 posts
2159 upvotes
In no way, shape or form am I implying that any race is bad at driving, but I get nervous when I have to visit a friend who lives in Brampton. Of all the cities I've driven in, I truly believe the worst drivers are in Brampton, for the province of Ontario.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 23, 2008
12284 posts
1165 upvotes
Brampton
redflagdealsguy wrote: You're taking a claim, which you simply assume as true without factual evidence, and then judge the insurer by that assumption. There's a giant leap of faith there.

Brampton is a city, it's not a minority.
I think you mean the former employee is making that giant leap of faith. But since they use to work there, then they are not making that leap. They are not an outsider, they were on the inside, part of what was going on in that company. I agree Brampton is a city, but it is inhabited with visible minorities.
Lets Go Blue Jays!!!
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
17933 posts
20126 upvotes
cheapmeister wrote: I think you mean the former employee is making that giant leap of faith. But since they use to work there, then they are not making that leap. They are not an outsider, they were on the inside, part of what was going on in that company. I agree Brampton is a city, but it is inhabited with visible minorities.
You've clearly never hired and managed people.
HP_John wrote: In no way, shape or form am I implying that any race is bad at driving, but I get nervous when I have to visit a friend who lives in Brampton. Of all the cities I've driven in, I truly believe the worst drivers are in Brampton, for the province of Ontario.
It blows my mind that this is a controversial statement.
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2011
3526 posts
20014 upvotes
Brampton has the highest rates because of all the fraud that is being committed there, period.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2015
2506 posts
2172 upvotes
Canada
Actuarial statistics should be facts. There’s many ragus there.
To the moon
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
13122 posts
1942 upvotes
Toronto
Pretty soon this will be the case for markham too.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
6729 posts
2947 upvotes
trixstar wrote: Pretty soon this will be the case for markham too.
markham has bad drivers, but we're talking about Brampton and fraud cases here.
Temp. Banned
Sep 15, 2014
2461 posts
1244 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
badOne wrote: markham has bad drivers, but we're talking about Brampton and fraud cases here.

This space for rent.
Deal Guru
Apr 4, 2001
11646 posts
506 upvotes
Defenders of Brampton are increasingly scarce.