• Jun 15th, 2019 10:36 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
2260 posts
1879 upvotes
Richmond Hill

Almost got into accident today

Today I almost got into accident when I go home after pick up my kids from school.
Just venting and pointing out some of those jerk driver , they are like a bomb on the road.

I am at a small intersection that I need to make a left turn. I don't have stop sign, the cross street does.
I slow down, signal to turn left, there was a teenager just completing his crossing so I slow down a bit before I turn.
There was a Honda Civic behind me, I know he is there. I wasn't stopping the car, just slow down a bit before the turn, I was just starting to step on the gas to complete the turn.
Right at that moment, he pull out from behind, pass me on my LEFT (Which I am trying to make a left turn), and make a RIGHT turn.

I was like: Dude, I have my signal on, Just starting to do my left turn and slow down a bit, you pass me on LEFT and make a RIGHT turn??
What jerk.

Those people is like a bomb on the road.
Bright side of RFD: 4 X Koodo $40/8GB plan
Dark side of RFD: Tons of stuff that I don't need but still got them because of RFD
21 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
8185 posts
2120 upvotes
Mississauga
I experienced something almost similar.

The other day, I slowed down to turn right into Starbucks. I had my right turn signal on, but I needed to slow right down almost stopping because there was a pedestrian crossing the sidewalk leading into Starbucks. Stupid impatient entitled driver in an SUV behind me started blaring his horn because I was impeding his way. He went around me in my lane in full speed because I was 'in his way'.

What did he want me to do, hit the pedestrian?? So annoyed with these rude drivers.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
2260 posts
1879 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Raggie wrote:
May 2nd, 2019 12:00 am
I experienced something almost similar.

The other day, I slowed down to turn right into Starbucks. I had my right turn signal on, but I needed to slow right down almost stopping because there was a pedestrian crossing the sidewalk leading into Starbucks. Stupid impatient entitled driver in an SUV behind me started blaring his horn because I was impeding his way. He went around me in my lane in full speed because I was 'in his way'.

What did he want me to do, hit the pedestrian?? So annoyed with these rude drivers.
Well, at least he went around you.

The guy today pass me on LEFT to make RIGHT turn when I am making a LEFT turn.
SO he actually cross right in front of me, I am making LEFT turn, he is making RIGHT turn, but from the LEFT side.
Dark side of RFD: Tons of stuff that I don't need but still got them because of RFD
Sep 25, 2018
408 posts
797 upvotes
I actually wonder who would be at fault in this kind of scenario.

I had similar experience. On an unmarked residential road, I was signalling left to turn into my driveway. The driveway is at an angle so I need to go forward more and move slowly to avoid the curb. I wasn't stopped on the side of the road. The asshat behind me decided it is a good idea to pass me to go straight. Had I not be careful and brake hard upon hearing his pathetic engine screaming, I would have been hit. The car was also in my blind spot because the road has a curve.

If it is a marked road then the other drive would be 100% at fault because they are driving in the wrong lane. But on unmarked road would I be partially at fault because I didn't make sure it was safe to left turn? I've never heard that I need to check left blind spot when left turning though.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
9203 posts
5512 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
vkizzle wrote:
May 2nd, 2019 10:44 am
No dashcam?
For future:

1) Get a dash cam...
2) Record incident...
3) Report to police...
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
10740 posts
1713 upvotes
Toronto
AlicW93740 wrote:
May 2nd, 2019 9:14 am

If cop was there, the other driver would have gotten charged. Also, just because there's no marking doesn't mean drives can do what they want.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2012
3543 posts
2807 upvotes
Oakville, ON
AlicW93740 wrote:
May 2nd, 2019 9:14 am

I had similar experience. On an unmarked residential road, I was signalling left to turn into my driveway. The driveway is at an angle so I need to go forward more and move slowly to avoid the curb. I wasn't stopped on the side of the road. The asshat behind me decided it is a good idea to pass me to go straight. Had I not be careful and brake hard upon hearing his pathetic engine screaming, I would have been hit. The car was also in my blind spot because the road has a curve.

If it is a marked road then the other drive would be 100% at fault because they are driving in the wrong lane. But on unmarked road would I be partially at fault because I didn't make sure it was safe to left turn? I've never heard that I need to check left blind spot when left turning though.
It looks like the scenario for both you and OP would fall under 10. (6) in the Ontario Determination Rules.

“If the incident occurs when automobile “A” is turning left at a private road or a driveway and automobile “B” is overtaking automobile “A” to pass it, the driver of each automobile is 50 per cent at fault for the incident.”

http://www.minkinsurance.com/Mink/media ... -CHART.PDF
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2012
3419 posts
2680 upvotes
Richmond Hill
CanadianLurker wrote:
May 2nd, 2019 11:44 am
It looks like the scenario for both you and OP would fall under 10. (6) in the Ontario Determination Rules.

“If the incident occurs when automobile “A” is turning left at a private road or a driveway and automobile “B” is overtaking automobile “A” to pass it, the driver of each automobile is 50 per cent at fault for the incident.”

OP is at an intersection though, so this would apply:
10. (5) If the incident occurs when automobile “A” is turning left at an intersection and automobile “B” is overtaking automobile “A” to pass it, the driver of automobile “A” is 25 per cent at fault and the driver of automobile “B” is 75 per cent at fault for the incident.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2012
3543 posts
2807 upvotes
Oakville, ON
rugerty100 wrote:
May 2nd, 2019 11:53 am
OP is at an intersection though, so this would apply:
Oops - yes, I missed the part about at an intersection for OP. @AlicW93740 was not at an intersection.

In both cases, it’s a good defensive driving practice to know what the guy behind you is doing!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
2260 posts
1879 upvotes
Richmond Hill
CanadianLurker wrote:
May 2nd, 2019 11:56 am
Oops - yes, I missed the part about at an intersection for OP. @AlicW93740 was not at an intersection.

In both cases, it’s a good defensive driving practice to know what the guy behind you is doing!
you and Rugerty100 have great information.

I always look behind when I make turn like this on the un-marked road, just to void ******* like this. Glad I did
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
8408 posts
1367 upvotes
Toronto
That's the around the bus at the bus stop move.
Even the cops did it to me once as I got off the bus, and was about to cross on a pedestrian right of way signal.
Good thing I always check for those cars doing this ,as it's quite common.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
9203 posts
5512 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
CanadianLurker wrote:
May 2nd, 2019 11:44 am

Always thought this rule was insurance BS. How is car A in front supposed to know dumb ass in car B is an impatient ass who will try to overtake on the same side that car A indicated they were going to turn? If car A has their turn indicator on, there is no question what car A's intention is.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2007
4451 posts
2076 upvotes
Toronto
Similar happened to me because asshat behind you can't see the sign or any hazard and blazed their horn on left to go right while I was waiting at "no right on red" sign.
Jun 10, 2008
384 posts
254 upvotes
Halton Hills
Don't move to Brampton, Ontario. I almost get hit every day.
Last edited by thisischris on May 4th, 2019 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.