Almost had a second Amazon package stolen

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 19th, 2021 3:27 am
[OP]
Apr 21, 2010
913 posts
38 upvotes

Almost had a second Amazon package stolen

Are Amazon delivery people no longer knocking on the door? What is the point of no knocking anyway?

For a while I have been noticing less and less knocking and the last two packages had no knocks at all including today. I don't think I can order amazon anymore unless they can assure delivery including knocking
I had an order a few weeks that was left at my door and I only went out in the morning to find it not there. They do leave a picture of the package at the door. I do live in an apartment building near an elevator so anybody that is at the elevator will pick it up in 3 seconds. Today I was nervous but I had to order something including stuff that was stolen the last time. So I was just checking the update to see that they left a package at the door and I went out half naked to see some teenager in a hoodie going through it . I gave him a chase and he left the package and ran away. It was open but nothing was taken . Anyway, I am really baffled but at least I didn't lose anything today.
I went out at about 1:50pm so it was there for just a few minutes

Tuesday, 9 February
1:43 PM
Delivered near the front door or porch
Toronto, CA
11:47 AM
Out for delivery
Etobicoke, CA
66 replies
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
14599 posts
27393 upvotes
Scarborough
I don't know what the official policy for drivers is but I haven't had a problem with them not knocking on my door. I also get an almost immediate push notification through the Amazon app and an alert through my Echo devices so it's not easy for me to miss that something was dropped off at my door.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2005
4198 posts
547 upvotes
Georgetown
In an apartment someone could literally watch for the delivery guy to show up and then trail them through the building stealing packages. If your building doesn't have security... it's a definite concern.

Perhaps you need to have your packages shipped elsewhere and pick them up (post office address, etc). It sucks, but you clearly have a package security issue.

PS - You need to get a special package trap from Mark Rober ;) (google it)
[OP]
Apr 21, 2010
913 posts
38 upvotes
TomRFD wrote: I don't know what the official policy for drivers is but I haven't had a problem with them not knocking on my door. I also get an almost immediate push notification through the Amazon app and an alert through my Echo devices so it's not easy for me to miss that something was dropped off at my door.
I have been getting less knocks but at least it was there . Usually they just knock and go away and I pick it up. That was until last month when there was no knock and I didn't even hear him otherwise as I do most people passing by (there is little sound lnsulation). I don't know about push notification , is it audible? Can I make it audible? I know it shows up but I have to look for it
[OP]
Apr 21, 2010
913 posts
38 upvotes
Tiberius wrote: In an apartment someone could literally watch for the delivery guy to show up and then trail them through the building stealing packages. If your building doesn't have security... it's a definite concern.

Perhaps you need to have your packages shipped elsewhere and pick them up (post office address, etc). It sucks, but you clearly have a package security issue.

PS - You need to get a special package trap from Mark Rober ;) (google it)
I know Mark Rober. My door is the first to the elevator and it takes a few seconds for anyone going in or out to pick it up. What can security do about it?
[OP]
Apr 21, 2010
913 posts
38 upvotes
I know it's impossible with a giant like amazon but is there a way to talk to them about this in a meaningful way?
Deal Guru
Jan 9, 2011
10113 posts
12086 upvotes
Vancouver
Why is anyone ordering home delivery with Amazon anymore? They don’t knock, they dump it and leave. It’s 2021, this is the new way everything is delivered, just leave stuff for porch pirates. Of course stuff will be stolen. The risk of course is on you, not them; so if you don’t want to take chances with stuff stolen, then don’t order for home delivery. Get it sent to the post office and go pick it up.
Feb 4, 2011
577 posts
364 upvotes
vlado416 wrote: I know it's impossible with a giant like amazon but is there a way to talk to them about this in a meaningful way?
Vote with your wallet.
Jan 9, 2012
182 posts
155 upvotes
Brampton
They don't knock. I saw the delivery guy on my doorbell cam get halfway through the driveway, throw the package onto the porch and call it a day.
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2008
1434 posts
473 upvotes
GTA
I think you can choose a post office for amazon?
Dec 22, 2007
690 posts
343 upvotes
Mississauga
vlado416 wrote: Are Amazon delivery people no longer knocking on the door? What is the point of no knocking anyway?

For a while I have been noticing less and less knocking and the last two packages had no knocks at all including today. I don't think I can order amazon anymore unless they can assure delivery including knocking
I had an order a few weeks that was left at my door and I only went out in the morning to find it not there. They do leave a picture of the package at the door. I do live in an apartment building near an elevator so anybody that is at the elevator will pick it up in 3 seconds. Today I was nervous but I had to order something including stuff that was stolen the last time. So I was just checking the update to see that they left a package at the door and I went out half naked to see some teenager in a hoodie going through it . I gave him a chase and he left the package and ran away. It was open but nothing was taken . Anyway, I am really baffled but at least I didn't lose anything today.
I went out at about 1:50pm so it was there for just a few minutes

Tuesday, 9 February
1:43 PM
Delivered near the front door or porch
Toronto, CA
11:47 AM
Out for delivery
Etobicoke, CA
I've had a couple packages taken just like you. I had amazon reship them in both cases. Started to send packages to family's house. It's cheaper for them to replace what is taken than the time it would take to knock/personal delivery.
Deal Guru
Jan 9, 2011
10113 posts
12086 upvotes
Vancouver
DeletedMemories wrote: I've had a couple packages taken just like you. I had amazon reship them in both cases. Started to send packages to family's house. It's cheaper for them to replace what is taken than the time it would take to knock/personal delivery.
You’re lucky that Amazon replaced porch-swiped items for free, because it is under no obligation to. Once the item has been dumped at the door, Amazon has fulfilled its delivery obligation that you agreed to, and is no longer responsible if it gets stolen. You are. This is why I don’t order from Amazon (or anywhere anymore really) for home delivery, since drop and dash is the new normal. I use free Flexdelivery and pick up at London Drugs.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
5730 posts
5213 upvotes
Kiraly wrote: You’re lucky that Amazon replaced porch-swiped items for free, because it is under no obligation to. Once the item has been dumped at the door, Amazon has fulfilled its delivery obligation that you agreed to, and is no longer responsible if it gets stolen. You are. This is why I don’t order from Amazon (or anywhere anymore really) for home delivery, since drop and dash is the new normal.
That's not true at all. Amazon is responsible for the item reaching your hands. If it is stolen, Amazon is the one that needs to deal with the delivery company and/or ship out another one. Same goes for any other online retailer...
Deal Guru
Jan 9, 2011
10113 posts
12086 upvotes
Vancouver
KanataKG wrote: That's not true at all. Amazon is responsible for the item reaching your hands. If it is stolen, Amazon is the one that needs to deal with the delivery company and/or ship out another one. Same goes for any other online retailer...
It is not. That’s a myth. If it is stolen before Amazon delivers it, yes that is Amazon’s responsibly. But after they dump it at your door, it has been delivered according to the terms you the buyer agreed to. Guaranteed replacement of anything that has been stolen after it has been delivered is not something Amazon offers. That risk is on you. Sure Amazon might do it to keep you as a customer, but it is not obligated to, and it sure doesn’t have a glorious history of doing that for everyone every time something gets taken by porch pirates.
Aug 21, 2010
788 posts
303 upvotes
toronto
totally agree with this...i had stuff stolen in the past..lot easier to go to the store and just buy,,dont need the agrevation of things getting stolen..plus like watching my late night shows,,,so if i did have something ordered, which i dont order now,,,i have no knocking at the door wakening me up as im a light sleeper,,,,

amazon used to be ok...

more to life than waiting for a parcel as i see lots of people doing...
Kiraly wrote: Why is anyone ordering home delivery with Amazon anymore? They don’t knock, they dump it and leave. It’s 2021, this is the new way everything is delivered, just leave stuff for porch pirates. Of course stuff will be stolen. The risk of course is on you, not them; so if you don’t want to take chances with stuff stolen, then don’t order for home delivery. Get it sent to the post office and go pick it up.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2009
1126 posts
571 upvotes
Toronto
KanataKG wrote: That's not true at all. Amazon is responsible for the item reaching your hands. If it is stolen, Amazon is the one that needs to deal with the delivery company and/or ship out another one. Same goes for any other online retailer...
@Kiraly is correct. 95% of online retailers including Amazon will use other shipping services like UPS/CP/FedEx to deliver their products.

Amazon's responsibility stops with the shipping company
The shipping company responsibility stops when the item reaches your mailbox/door (unless you pay for signature required)

Any replacements provided by Amazon for porch thefts are goodwill only because your loyalty, satisfaction and data collection is worth more than whatever you bought. You can also be sure they collect data on high porch theft areas and make changes accordingly.
Oct 9, 2011
609 posts
234 upvotes
they all do that nowadays, just leave the parcel at your door, don't knock/ring the doorbell. At least amazon delivery (and other private courier) updates their tracking instantly. Canada Post sometime don't update till hours later or even the next day.
Deal Guru
Jan 9, 2011
10113 posts
12086 upvotes
Vancouver
submarine wrote: You can also be sure they collect data on high porch theft areas and make changes accordingly.
With drop & dash now so widespread, petty soon every area will be a high porch theft area. Porch piracy is an explosive growth industry, with big returns, small risks, and little-to-no consequences even if caught. If they aren't active in your neighbourhood yet, I guarantee they are on their way. Soon. I for one won't give them any more incentives to prowl around my neighbourhood.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
3850 posts
2402 upvotes
Vancouver
If it’s something expensive, I recommend using flex delivery. While it’s not as convenient as shipping to your house, you also aren’t likely to lose a package and go through the hassle of making a claim.