Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2013
1485 posts
789 upvotes
WATERLOO

Altering traditional chinese wedding menu

Is it bad luck to alter certain courses in a traditional chinese wedding menu? Im not a fan of efu noodles and i know it represents something, but is it wrong to alter this to something else?
15 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 24, 2005
9454 posts
1013 upvotes
N/A
ever considered not eating the whatever those noodles are for yourself, and let others get what they expect?
surely, you are getting more than efu alone.
“Children see magic because they look for it.”
Apr 2, 2004
400 posts
101 upvotes
GTA
ballashotcaller wrote: Is it bad luck to alter certain courses in a traditional chinese wedding menu? Im not a fan of efu noodles and i know it represents something, but is it wrong to alter this to something else?
I think e-fu noodles symbolize long-life, and in the case of a wedding, long marriage. You probably shouldn't mess with that :)

Not sure if another noodle can be substituted. None are as long as e-ful ones.
Penalty Box
Oct 26, 2007
897 posts
97 upvotes
Toronto
I believe the noodles need to be more longer than shorter meaning long life or long marriage, ya I wouldn't mess with that tradition. But I've always wonder why the fried rice and noodles come at the end of the dinner? My cousin said because if you have the rice and noodles at the beginning, it will fill you up unnessarily so you can't enjoy the tastier dishes?

Can anyone comment on the order of dishes in a traditional Chinese wedding?
[removed]
A guide for the everymans guide to investments
Feb 2, 2009
512 posts
45 upvotes
Kanata
More often than not, by the time you get to the noodle and rice, your belly is pretty darn FULL!

> Can anyone comment on the order of dishes in a traditional Chinese wedding?

Not 100% sure, they should be served in the same order as they are listed. Typically:

cold cut plate,
(seven or so meat hot dishes: fish,lobsters, veggies, pork, etc.)
noodle + frice
sweet dessert
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2013
1485 posts
789 upvotes
WATERLOO
Thanks for the feedback... I just dont want bad luck lol. i just want people to enjoy their food and i notice efu tends to be left behind and is a waste of food. I could have it altered with seafood cantonese noodle at no cost which is much tastier
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2006
1435 posts
127 upvotes
Midtown Toronto
Ask your parents: no-one in your generation will care, and everyone in their generation will have an opinion.
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2013
1485 posts
789 upvotes
WATERLOO
flyinggonzo wrote: Ask your parents: no-one in your generation will care, and everyone in their generation will have an opinion.
Yea parents dont really care. like i said, its not so much what the older people think as they dont reqlly care, i just dont want bad luck lol
Deal Fanatic
Sep 24, 2005
9454 posts
1013 upvotes
N/A
i have no respect for people who believe in superstition.
“Children see magic because they look for it.”
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2004
3495 posts
189 upvotes
Toronto
Since I married someone who is not Chinese we decided to modify the menu. Instead of Shark Fin soup we did just a seafood soup (Which tasted the same minus the shark fin).
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2006
1435 posts
127 upvotes
Midtown Toronto
ballashotcaller wrote: Yea parents dont really care. like i said, its not so much what the older people think as they dont reqlly care, i just dont want bad luck lol
If that's the case, just do whatever you want and have a good time.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)