Personal Finance

Alterna Bank - Interac Flash Debit Cards and Acculink ATM Network Added (Exchange Network still valid as well)

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 15th, 2017 10:26 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2008
2674 posts
2029 upvotes
Winnipeg

Alterna Bank - Interac Flash Debit Cards and Acculink ATM Network Added (Exchange Network still valid as well)

I was browsing the Alterna Bank website today and noticed that they updated some of their policies and service fee booklets.

- The Service Fee Booklet was updated to mention "No branch access" for eChequing and eSavings accounts and also now mentions "Alterna, ACCULINK and The Exchange Network ATM withdrawals" and under the fine print #6 states "Revised to include new ATM networks (Maestro and Acculink)"

- The Debit Card Agreement was also amended today and in numbers 3, 11, 14, 16, 21, 27, 28, and 29 all now mention or make reference to Interac Flash on the debit card. Specifically number 28 which states "If the card is enabled with Interac Flash, Alterna Bank will select and link an account to the clients debit card. Interac Flash transactions will default to the pre-selected account. Client can have Interac Flash disabled or re-enabled by calling Alterna's Contact Centre or by visiting any Alterna Bank Branch"

- There also appears to be a Business Banking Service Fee Booklet now as well.
*Do you like someone's idea, post, or response? Why not consider giving them "thanks" and clicking the thumbs up to give them the credit they deserve.*
20 replies
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
3992 upvotes
BC
Shawguy wrote: Alterna Bank - Interac Flash Debit Cards and Acculink ATM Network Added (Exchange Network still valid as well)

I was browsing the Alterna Bank website today and noticed that they updated some of their policies and service fee booklets.

- The Service Fee Booklet was updated to mention "No branch access" for eChequing and eSavings accounts and also now mentions "Alterna, ACCULINK and The Exchange Network ATM withdrawals" and under the fine print #6 states "Revised to include new ATM networks (Maestro and Acculink)"

- The Debit Card Agreement was also amended today and in numbers 3, 11, 14, 16, 21, 27, 28, and 29 all now mention or make reference to Interac Flash on the debit card. Specifically number 28 which states "If the card is enabled with Interac Flash, Alterna Bank will select and link an account to the clients debit card. Interac Flash transactions will default to the pre-selected account. Client can have Interac Flash disabled or re-enabled by calling Alterna's Contact Centre or by visiting any Alterna Bank Branch"

- There also appears to be a Business Banking Service Fee Booklet now as well.
I've never understood why there are both (Exchange and Acculink) when it seems every credit union is a part of both?! "Ding-free" is both of them ... are their any differences in institution lists??

POLL: How frequent is your RRSP-matching?
Plastiq: Pay any bill with credit card for 0-2.5% fee (help meet min spending and keep old cards active!)
Rewards program transfer times (e.g. SPG->Aeroplan, Marriott->SPG, Amex MR->SPG...)
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
3992 upvotes
BC
From what I can tell around these parts (GVA) everyone that is a member of one is also a member of the other :)

It looks like this benefits other EXCHANGE/ACCULINK customers who can now use the ATM at Alterna, and not really any benefit to Alterna customers? :D
... but then again, if they are already a member of both, they could already use Alterna based on the EXCHANGE network anyways.

I can't figure it out :D
Plastiq: Pay any bill with credit card for 0-2.5% fee (help meet min spending and keep old cards active!)
Rewards program transfer times (e.g. SPG->Aeroplan, Marriott->SPG, Amex MR->SPG...)
Deal Addict
May 11, 2014
4302 posts
4916 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
Shawguy wrote:
Im assuming just for Alterna Savings branch access. I flew to Ottawa early June and had a US dollar cheque I needed to deposit. I went into an Alterna Savings and the teller asked me to use the machine. I told her it was a US$ cheque, and then processed it for me. I wonder if that means I have to find another way to deposit these cheques.
Support your local Credit Union!

Sask Pension Plan Upto $6600/yr in Credit Card spending on RRSP contributions
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/sask-pen ... ns-2167222
Dec 12, 2016
323 posts
289 upvotes
xgbsSS wrote: Im assuming just for Alterna Savings branch access. I flew to Ottawa early June and had a US dollar cheque I needed to deposit. I went into an Alterna Savings and the teller asked me to use the machine. I told her it was a US$ cheque, and then processed it for me. I wonder if that means I have to find another way to deposit these cheques.
Could just be for the echequing and esavings that are restricted for branch access. The USD account technically do not fall under the e series.

From my experience, tellers at Alterna would push the Bank customers to the ABM as they would have to login to another system for Bank customers and then have to balance the entries for the Bank system at the end of the day. In other words, it's more work for them.
Deal Addict
May 11, 2014
4302 posts
4916 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
Here2day2 wrote: Could just be for the echequing and esavings that are restricted for branch access. The USD account technically do not fall under the e series.

From my experience, tellers at Alterna would push the Bank customers to the ABM as they would have to login to another system for Bank customers and then have to balance the entries for the Bank system at the end of the day. In other words, it's more work for them.
I don't have a US Dollar account with them as Alterna Bank doesn't offer it. The teller deposited the cheque after converting it for me into my eChequing.

Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2010
1021 posts
379 upvotes
For people in Quebec frustrated with Tangerine, their eSavings (regular or TFSA both at 1.9%) could be an alternative (no pun intended) since EQ in not available to them. Furthermore, the Exchange Network is widely availalable.
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
19227 posts
1714 upvotes
ace604 wrote: From what I can tell around these parts (GVA) everyone that is a member of one is also a member of the other :)

It looks like this benefits other EXCHANGE/ACCULINK customers who can now use the ATM at Alterna, and not really any benefit to Alterna customers? :D
... but then again, if they are already a member of both, they could already use Alterna based on the EXCHANGE network anyways.

I can't figure it out :D
The main difference from what I can see is ACCULINK only includes credit unions whereas The Exchange also includes HSBC and National Bank, ICICI, Manulife Bank and some others for-profit banks.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
3992 upvotes
BC
brunes wrote: The main difference from what I can see is ACCULINK only includes credit unions whereas The Exchange also includes HSBC and National Bank, ICICI, Manulife Bank and some others for-profit banks.
That's all I could figure too ... so if Alterna was already in the EXCHANGE, adding ACCULINK does what for who?

It does nothing for credit union members who were already in the EXCHANGE and ACCULINK and could use Alterna EXCHANGE ATMs.
It does nothing for Alterna customers who could already use CU ATMs based on EXCHANGE.

Are there some CU's that aren't in EXCHANGE and are ONLY in ACCULINK??

Seems like a total no-op.
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
3992 upvotes
BC
Shawguy wrote: - The Service Fee Booklet was updated to mention "No branch access" for eChequing and eSavings accounts and also now mentions "Alterna, ACCULINK and The Exchange Network ATM withdrawals" and under the fine print #6 states "Revised to include new ATM networks (Maestro and Acculink)"
Wow, ya that is FINE print ... it's not a 6, noticed only after zooming when I thought I was already reading 6 and then 7, and then 6 again ... it's a § :)
Deal Addict
May 11, 2014
4302 posts
4916 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
i rarely take out cash with my debit card, I tried yesterday and today at the First Nations Bank here in Iqaluit and was having troubles as the machine would decline with the reason "call institution."

After talking to branch staff and their IT figuring out it seems to be a problem on Alterna's side, called Alterna and they told be that some of the older cards seems to be having problems with some Exchange ATMs. They told me if this continues they would send a new debit card.

out of curiosity, anyone here having similar issues?

[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2008
2674 posts
2029 upvotes
Winnipeg
ace604 wrote: Are there some CU's that aren't in EXCHANGE and are ONLY in ACCULINK??
YES...ALL MANITOBA CREDIT UNION ATM'S. LOL

Manitoba for some reason is only on Acculink. In Winnipeg BEFORE Manulife added Exchange Network ATM's in every Mac's convenience store, we only had 4 Exchange Network ATM's in the whole province...3 in downtown Winnipeg, and 1 in South Winnipeg (HSBC and National Bank). Now that Alterna can access Acculink ATM's.....this means I can use Manitoba Credit Union ATM's.

I am not sure if this is just Alterna based or if Acculink and Exchange will actually work together for everyone...in that case this would be a win for Manitoba CU customers as well.

So to answer your question....yes...in Manitoba. :)
*Do you like someone's idea, post, or response? Why not consider giving them "thanks" and clicking the thumbs up to give them the credit they deserve.*
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
3992 upvotes
BC
Shawguy wrote: YES...ALL MANITOBA CREDIT UNION ATM'S. LOL

Manitoba for some reason is only on Acculink. In Winnipeg BEFORE Manulife added Exchange Network ATM's in every Mac's convenience store, we only had 4 Exchange Network ATM's in the whole province...3 in downtown Winnipeg, and 1 in South Winnipeg (HSBC and National Bank). Now that Alterna can access Acculink ATM's.....this means I can use Manitoba Credit Union ATM's.

I am not sure if this is just Alterna based or if Acculink and Exchange will actually work together for everyone...in that case this would be a win for Manitoba CU customers as well.

So to answer your question....yes...in Manitoba. :)
Interesting. The list here was too long for me to try to figure out if there were a bunch missing:
https://www.theexchangenetwork.ca/Parti ... tions.aspx

But compared to Central1, they say there are 623 credit unions:
"Today, there are 623 credit unions and caisses populaires in Canada, with almost 3,000 branches. They hold combined assets of $350 billion and serve more than 10.1 million members."
https://www.central1.com/about-us/credit-union-system

So going back to that list from The EXCHANGE site above ... it looks to be several hundred short at least :)

EDIT: So I got the computer to count for me ... I see 174 entries in the EXCHANGE list
12 have the name "Bank" in them, 1 "banx" (Zenbanx -- they are gone anyways no?)
161 Credit Unions, CU, and Caisse (only 1)

161 CU/CP in The EXCHANGE, but 623 on Central1 ... that's actually a lot missing.

ps. I think you have more than 4 ex-Manulife: https://www.theexchangenetwork.ca/Find-An-ATM.aspx
There are other banks you missed, Canadian Western Bank, First Nations Bank, in addition National Bank and HSBC
Ha, no wait ... there were only 1 each of those ... so I count only 4 in Winnpeg. WTF :D

Manitoba had to suck for ATM access for ING/Tangerine until they switched to Scotia then, eh? (I feel compelled totype 'eh' because that's what I'm saying as I type it :))
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2008
2674 posts
2029 upvotes
Winnipeg
ace604 wrote: Ha, no wait ... there were only 1 each of those ... so I count only 4 in Winnpeg. WTF :D

Manitoba had to suck for ATM access for ING/Tangerine until they switched to Scotia then, eh? (I feel compelled totype 'eh' because that's what I'm saying as I type it :))
First Nations Bank only switched to Exchange recently.. They used to be on TD bank network.

Yes... I was very happy when Tangerine switched to Scotia ATMs... I know out East people were not happy.. But here It was awesome! Scotia ATMs are in all the 7/11s here
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
3992 upvotes
BC
Shawguy wrote: First Nations Bank only switched to Exchange recently.. They used to be on TD bank network.

Yes... I was very happy when Tangerine switched to Scotia ATMs... I know out East people were not happy.. But here It was awesome! Scotia ATMs are in all the 7/11s here
Yes, same here... when I was with PCF way back 7-11 had all CIBC machines and it was easy to find them, then they switched to Scotia and I cursed them ... until Scotia bought ING :D
Somwhere in between there I switched from PCF to ING as well :D
Deal Addict
May 11, 2014
4302 posts
4916 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
ace604 wrote:
Interesting. The list here was too long for me to try to figure out if there were a bunch missing:
https://www.theexchangenetwork.ca/Parti ... tions.aspx

But compared to Central1, they say there are 623 credit unions:
"Today, there are 623 credit unions and caisses populaires in Canada, with almost 3,000 branches. They hold combined assets of $350 billion and serve more than 10.1 million members."
https://www.central1.com/about-us/credit-union-system

So going back to that list from The EXCHANGE site above ... it looks to be several hundred short at least :)

EDIT: So I got the computer to count for me ... I see 174 entries in the EXCHANGE list
12 have the name "Bank" in them, 1 "banx" (Zenbanx -- they are gone anyways no?)
161 Credit Unions, CU, and Caisse (only 1)

161 CU/CP in The EXCHANGE, but 623 on Central1 ... that's actually a lot missing.

ps. I think you have more than 4 ex-Manulife: https://www.theexchangenetwork.ca/Find-An-ATM.aspx
There are other banks you missed, Canadian Western Bank, First Nations Bank, in addition National Bank and HSBC
Ha, no wait ... there were only 1 each of those ... so I count only 4 in Winnpeg. WTF :D

Alberta used to be worse. Until 4,5 years go, the Alberta credit unions were only with Alberta Regional Network which was only partnered with ATB Financial. It's only then that partnership was terminated and they went with acculink.

They are still not Exchange linked either.

[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2008
2674 posts
2029 upvotes
Winnipeg
I can confirm that using the Alterna Bank card on the Acculink network did not incur any additional fees. I withdrew $20 at a Manitoba Credit Union ATM today (they are only on Acculink and not Exchange) and there were no additional fees.
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
3992 upvotes
BC
Shawguy wrote: I can confirm that using the Alterna Bank card on the Acculink network did not incur any additional fees. I withdrew $20 at a Manitoba Credit Union ATM today (they are only on Acculink and not Exchange) and there were no additional fees.
Congrats. Your ATM network just increased by an order of magnitude from 4, to 4 + Manulife, to 4 + Manulife + tons of credit unions :D

Spoiled here in BC. I think all the BC CUs are on both so I've never understood the point of Acculink :)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2008
2674 posts
2029 upvotes
Winnipeg
ace604 wrote: Congrats. Your ATM network just increased by an order of magnitude from 4, to 4 + Manulife, to 4 + Manulife + tons of credit unions :D

Spoiled here in BC. I think all the BC CUs are on both so I've never understood the point of Acculink :)

Yeah, my ATM network just increased exponentially!

I am just curious though if the Manitoba CU's can now access Exchange ATMs. I have an Implicity account, I might have to try it out using an Exchange ATM... I am wondering if Acculink members can access Exchange or if only Exchange can access Acculink or if it is just select banks....
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
3992 upvotes
BC
Shawguy wrote: Thanks :)

Yeah, my ATM network just increased exponentially!

I am just curious though if the Manitoba CU's can now access Exchange ATMs. I have an Implicity account, I might have to try it out using an Exchange ATM... I am wondering if Acculink members can access Exchange or if only Exchange can access Acculink or if it is just select banks....
I googled "implicitly financial ding free" to see if they use the same ad campaign. Found they do:
https://www.implicity.ca/OnlineBanking/ ... ocatorApp/

... BUT it says 1,800 ATMs. The BC ones say 3,300.

I thought "ding free" worked for both since I know it shows The Exchange ATMs but the search tool asks for which credit union you are in and filters out the Exchange ones if your CU isn't in it.