Alternative/Indie Rock Album Thread - 2021

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 1st, 2021 12:43 am
[OP]
Feb 24, 2018
775 posts
471 upvotes

Alternative/Indie Rock Album Thread - 2021

Since guitar rock is harder to find these days and being discussed less and less online, thought it'd be good to maybe do this for new 2021 albums and songs. I'm including all the subgenres for it here so not metal or country but stuff like alt rock/shoegaze/post-punk/pop rock etc.

I'll share some of the better albums I've heard so far this year:

The Joy Formidable - Into The Blue (Aug 2021) - Welsh band's 5th album, not as good as their 2011 debut The Big Roar but better than the other stuff they've done. The first half of the album is fairly strong. Doesn't experiment too much minus one interesting song and is fairly straightforward alt rock. People also say they're a really good live band worth seeing so hopefully they come back here.

Wolf Alice - Blue Weekend (Jun 2021) - Album of the year for me so far. Their first two albums were better but all over the place in terms of style. This one is more cohesive and a bit more on the lighter pop side (minus the song Smile). It's also a very euphoric sounding album. I think they've established themselves now as the best band to come out of the UK in the 2010's.

4 replies
[OP]
Feb 24, 2018
775 posts
471 upvotes
Field Music - Flat White Moon (April 2021) - Two English brothers that sort of spin the XTC/Talking Heads style really well. They've been around for a while and I admire their professionalism and consistency to turn out good albums. Their new one had a lot of good songs on it and is a pretty fun listen.

Radio Supernova - Takaisin (January 2021) - Finnish band I found on RateYourMusic with a very consistent 2nd album this year. The lyrics are in Finnish and I don't understand them but shoegaze is more about the guitars and this one doesn't take long to grow anyways even if it's in a foreign language. Really nice clean sound with good vocals, whole album is on youtube. Nyt is a really nice song.

[OP]
Feb 24, 2018
775 posts
471 upvotes
Iceage - Seek Shelter (May 2021) - Danish post-punk band with a really good album here. The vocals are very abrasive and almost out-of-tune so their songs do take a while to grow. The album opener on it is fantastic with a bit of a 90s Britpop sound and this album probably has some of the best singles this year with the opener, Vendetta, High & Hurt, and The Holding Hand.

Dry Cleaning - New Long Leg (Apr 2021) - Weirdest album I've put so far and imo the catchiest. The lyrics are all spoken in a sing-song type of way and sound completely random but sound really good. They use some pretty fun riffs to go with the dry vocals and it's a good combo, might take a while to get into but this is probably the most or 2nd most consistent album I've heard this year.

[OP]
Feb 24, 2018
775 posts
471 upvotes
Manic Street Preachers - The Ultra Vivid Lament (September 2021) - Not yet released but this Welsh band has put out so much good stuff since the 90s that I pretty much expect every release to be decent at worse. They're masters at the big sweeping chorus like on this song. Singer James Dean Bradfield also put out a pretty good solo album out last year. Also respect them for keeping up doing protest/political lyrics as most bands don't these days.

Desperate Journalist - Maximum Sorrow (June 2021) - My third favourite of the year so far, really strong guitar riffs on the fourth album by another really good band to come out of the UK in the 2010s. They have a strong vocalist and they do have a tendency to go a bit too long on some songs but this album has enough that work with a lot of good riffs.

[OP]
Feb 24, 2018
775 posts
471 upvotes
These two are from EP's not albums:

Keane - Dirt EP - 4 songs, 3 of them are demos but they're very polished as is typical from this band which does choruses extremely well. Vocals excellent like usual

Gang of Youths - Dunno what this EP is called and this Aussie band is overdue for a new album but they put out a few pretty solid songs out this year