• Jan 2nd, 2019 12:33 am
[OP]
Apr 10, 2011
861 posts
792 upvotes

Alternative to a suction bath mat for refinished tub

Hi there,

Hoping someone can offer some advice:

We got our old claw foot tub refinished last year but were never instructed to avoid using a suction cup bath mat (why we were never told this crucial information is beyond me.) Now the surface is starting to peel. After several back and forth emails with the company who did the refinishing, they agreed to repair it at no cost. The woman who owns the company is a total scatter brain, and keeps ignoring the part where I ask what options we have other than using a suction cup bath mat.

I’ve tried looking for non suction cup bath mats on-line but can only find things for like $80+. I also contacted this place: http://www.bathtubrefinishingtoronto.ca but they said they only do anti slip finishing in the tubs that they refinish themselves.

Does anyone know what I could do? Or a company who can do a non slip surface on top of our refinished tub? I’m in Toronto.

Thank you!
4 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
4678 posts
4382 upvotes
Toronto
From what I've read on bathtub refinishing, it's not expected to last if the tub is used frequently, even if applied very well (and most companies do a poor job, with drips, uneven surfaces and splatters). Best for a tub that's infrequently used or else just expect to refinish it every once in a while. I think blaming a suction cup bath mat for peeling is just avoiding the issue that it won't last, and even if you used no mat at all, it'll start to peel from normal use, but it depends on how often it's used.

For my metal enamel tub, I put this in six months ago:

3M non-slip tape

It's been used in a tub that's used daily by two people, and it still looks and works great. No fraying or peeling, and I had angled the tape so that water heads to the drain easily, so there's no pink mold build-up. Sure beats lifting and drying the shower mat every day like we did previously.

I realize a claw foot tub is more aesthetics that anything, so you might not like the look of the tape, though. And in the case of refinished surfaces (as opposed to the factory finish), peeling off the tape will probably damage the refinished surface.

Prior to using the tape, I looked into the liquid stuff you can apply yourself to create a textured surface, but reviews generally were poor for all those types of products.
[OP]
Apr 10, 2011
861 posts
792 upvotes
jm1 wrote: From what I've read on bathtub refinishing, it's not expected to last if the tub is used frequently, even if applied very well (and most companies do a poor job, with drips, uneven surfaces and splatters). Best for a tub that's infrequently used or else just expect to refinish it every once in a while. I think blaming a suction cup bath mat for peeling is just avoiding the issue that it won't last, and even if you used no mat at all, it'll start to peel from normal use, but it depends on how often it's used.

For my metal enamel tub, I put this in six months ago:

3M non-slip tape

It's been used in a tub that's used daily by two people, and it still looks and works great. No fraying or peeling, and I had angled the tape so that water heads to the drain easily, so there's no pink mold build-up. Sure beats lifting and drying the shower mat every day like we did previously.

I realize a claw foot tub is more aesthetics that anything, so you might not like the look of the tape, though. And in the case of refinished surfaces (as opposed to the factory finish), peeling off the tape will probably damage the refinished surface.

Prior to using the tape, I looked into the liquid stuff you can apply yourself to create a textured surface, but reviews generally were poor for all those types of products.
Hi! Thanks for your response. How long have you had the 3M tape on your tub so far? Might be a potential option for us, depending on how long it lasts before any mould build up. Having to replace it often would definitely damage the refinishing. I don’t care about aesthetics as much as I do about slipping, also the shower curtain is always pulled back when the tub isn’t in use so I don’t care what it looks like. We have a metal frame built around the tub so it doubles as a shower, which is what my husband and I use, but our 2 year old takes baths in it so between the three of us, it gets used quite frequently.

Edit: just re-read your post, duh! So 6 months and still no sign of any mould, eh? Hmmmm, sounds promising. I’ll look into it if the lady I’m dealing with provides no advice. Thank you!!
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
1807 posts
1164 upvotes
When I had a tub refinished (going over emerald green 70s style) I paid a bit extra to have a design put into the bottom to create a tread to combat the need for the mat. I'm surprised they don't offer the service but maybe a competitor could come do it after you have it repaired?
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
4678 posts
4382 upvotes
Toronto
lemmiwinks wrote: So 6 months and still no sign of any mould, eh? Hmmmm, sounds promising. I’ll look into it if the lady I’m dealing with provides no advice. Thank you!!
No mold. In comparison, when we were using the suction shower mats, even though we removed them after the last shower of the day and hung them on a hook to drip dry, pink mold would accumulate underneath and around the suction cups, so I would have to wipe and scrub them with soap and water every once in a while.

People are generally happy with the 3M non slip tape if you prepare the surface and tape properly. Although I linked to the Amazon.ca link, it's got a lot more reviews (268) and rated 4.5/5 on Amazon.com (see LINK). Most people with negative reviews don't have much details in their review so I just assume they just slapped it down without proper preparation. Best thing to do would be to really clean the surface using rubbing alcohol (so no soap residue) until the surface feels completely clean. Strips of tape should be cut to have rounded ends instead of square corners, so that it's more difficult for something to snag a corner and lift up. And I waited a couple of days before using the tub, to make sure the adhesive had time to set. I placed the tape similar to this design to ensure water heads easily towards the drain:

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)