• Mar 4th, 2021 12:09 am
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2003
2902 posts
452 upvotes

Alternative to TEXTNOW.

As of today TEXTNOW has decided to block any SMS text that contains the keyword 'VERIFICATION CODE XXXX' where XXXX is any number with 4 or more digits.
This caused me considerable problems at work as I need to use a verification SMS code in order to log in into the system.

I spoke with support and they said that its going to be available only to monthly subscribers.
So I need to find an alternative to a VOIP free SMS text that will not block these texts. Sugestions?
15 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
4557 posts
2829 upvotes
Gotham
Just tried that and yup, no text received. That's nuts!

I also use TextMeUp and the phrase was received successfully.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2003
2902 posts
452 upvotes
Their excuse is that being a voip system they do not support verification codes.
Its of course hogwash because they are just blocking simple text sms with simple keywords.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
4557 posts
2829 upvotes
Gotham
HammerJoe wrote: Their excuse is that being a voip system they do not support verification codes.
Its of course hogwash because they are just blocking simple text sms with simple keywords.
I wonder if a large number of people were using the free service for this purpose? Or maybe text now is running into financial difficulty because the mainstream US carriers are getting much cheaper.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2003
2902 posts
452 upvotes
batcave wrote: Just tried that and yup, no text received. That's nuts!

I also use TextMeUp and the phrase was received successfully.
Tried that Textmeup and have to pay the monthly fee to get thoses texts and the ads, oh my, the ads, everywhere... horrible app.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
4557 posts
2829 upvotes
Gotham
HammerJoe wrote: Tried that Textmeup and have to pay the monthly fee to get thoses texts and the ads, oh my, the ads, everywhere... horrible app.
It's a free service. Doesn't textnow have ads?

I don't have any ads, but I did buy a small amount of credit with some free Google play credits I got a while back. I just use the app regularly to keep my number.

I like the app because I can text Mexico for free.

If you want truly free and ad free, get Google Voice.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2003
2902 posts
452 upvotes
batcave wrote: It's a free service. Doesn't textnow have ads?

I don't have any ads, but I did buy a small amount of credit with some free Google play credits I got a while back. I just use the app regularly to keep my number.

I like the app because I can text Mexico for free.

If you want truly free and ad free, get Google Voice.
Textnow does have ads but not as intrusive and obnoxious like textmeup. The interface is also alot better.
I installed talkatone and I am liking it. Free calls and sms/mms and yes verification code is working and the ads are not too bad so far.
I dont know about texting Mexico but it gives the option to call mexico with credits.
I test calling and the voice was perfect.... will keep using for some more time to make a final decision before dumping textnow
Dec 27, 2009
202 posts
45 upvotes
Hola
Thanks @HammerJoe for raising this issue. I linked several of my financial services to my TextNow account and have been actively ensuring that I always send a text or 2 every week to maintain my number. Lo and behold I can no longer get into Paypal and other services. THIS IS ABSOLUTELY CRAZY - No warning, no nothing and at $12/month to 'keep' the number subscription pricing is ridiculous to say the least... I'll try out talkatone and Textmeup. The main reason I selected TextNow a few months ago was because of their web messaging capabilities, Textmeup didn't support web at the time.

I am also fearful that even if I went with Textmeup, that it would only be a matter of time before they too block these verification codes... what a pain! And the sad reality is that none of these services offer a cheap SMS / MMS only plan that I would happily pay for... $3/month or so ain't too bad for such a service.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2003
2902 posts
452 upvotes
Textmeup does not allow verification codes texts with the free version.
So far only takatone does in their free form.... but who knows for how long. Its a pain that they are going down this road... its no different from any other text message
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
4557 posts
2829 upvotes
Gotham
HammerJoe wrote: Textmeup does not allow verification codes texts with the free version.
So far only takatone does in their free form.... but who knows for how long. Its a pain that they are going down this road... its no different from any other text message
Maybe this is the way of these free/pay VoIP services. Other way is load $2 credit into it. It doesn't expire. I think you can watch a video for free credit in TextMeUp.

Eventually all of these free VoIP services will go away because of the lack of revenue.

Google Voice still works best for me.
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2009
1471 posts
1038 upvotes
Brampton
moh2010 wrote: Hola
Thanks @HammerJoe for raising this issue. I linked several of my financial services to my TextNow account and have been actively ensuring that I always send a text or 2 every week to maintain my number. Lo and behold I can no longer get into Paypal and other services. THIS IS ABSOLUTELY CRAZY - No warning, no nothing and at $12/month to 'keep' the number subscription pricing is ridiculous to say the least... I'll try out talkatone and Textmeup. The main reason I selected TextNow a few months ago was because of their web messaging capabilities, Textmeup didn't support web at the time.

I am also fearful that even if I went with Textmeup, that it would only be a matter of time before they too block these verification codes... what a pain! And the sad reality is that none of these services offer a cheap SMS / MMS only plan that I would happily pay for... $3/month or so ain't too bad for such a service.
i have same problem with PayPal did you solve this?
Dec 27, 2009
202 posts
45 upvotes
Hola
Bit the bullet and started using Google Authentication on Paypal. A good majority of known portals use third-party authentication services from Microsoft, Google, Okta, among others. Not ideal but solves one major site for me.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2005
4474 posts
1384 upvotes
I've used Pinger for years. One benefit is there's a web interface, so you can text from your PC.
signature closed for renovation
Sep 5, 2017
472 posts
243 upvotes
I know this is a little bit older now, but has anyone found any current solution for this? What a frustrating problem... i know theyre free services but they have ads, so theyre paid. its bs

Would rather keep my real number to people or businesses i actually know and trust. but that said what if i didnt have a "real" number and depended solely on textnow, or talkatone (also doesnt work anymore), or fongo, etc?
Deal Expert
Aug 6, 2001
15158 posts
3041 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
pawprints86 wrote: I know this is a little bit older now, but has anyone found any current solution for this? What a frustrating problem... i know theyre free services but they have ads, so theyre paid. its bs

Would rather keep my real number to people or businesses i actually know and trust. but that said what if i didnt have a "real" number and depended solely on textnow, or talkatone (also doesnt work anymore), or fongo, etc?
If it’s for work, think paying $15-20 a month for proper cell phone would be worth the roi
Mar 31, 2020
223 posts
124 upvotes
Toronto
Try Dingtone.
If all the world's a stage, then where is my audience?