• Last Updated:
  • Aug 16th, 2019 4:54 pm
[OP]
Jan 17, 2008
20 posts
11 upvotes
Ottawa

Alternatives to OOMA

I've been a OOMA customer for several years. They are a cheap VOIP land line alternative but they have one big flaw. The line doesn't accept TEXT messages. Grrrrr. Furthermore OOMA doesn't tell the text sender the text is not delivered. Thus causing all kinds of yucky miscommunications for me.

What are the alternatives to OOMA? What would you recommend?
2 replies
Jun 21, 2008
545 posts
145 upvotes
mississauga
Rebel_Sell wrote: I've been a OOMA customer for several years. They are a cheap VOIP land line alternative but they have one big flaw. The line doesn't accept TEXT messages. Grrrrr. Furthermore OOMA doesn't tell the text sender the text is not delivered. Thus causing all kinds of yucky miscommunications for me.

What are the alternatives to OOMA? What would you recommend?
i've been using voip.ms off and on for a few years, both voice and text work like a charm after a bit of setup
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27781 posts
13379 upvotes
voip.ms works for SMS but only from certain phone numbers (basically anything that's backed by a cell phone, and some commercial services)

If you're looking to do 2FA, some services don't support it (or any other voip based SMS)

I don't believe any service will inform the sender of a failure.

Fun fact: I somehow got an SMS yesterday from a toll free number. That was a first for me.