• May 27th, 2020 12:07 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2003
2111 posts
301 upvotes
GTA

Alternatives to Roam Mobility for the US

I've been reading that Roam Mobility isn't that reliable anymore. Any recommended alternatives? I'll be taking two short trips (5 days each) within a month to the American southwest (key locations are LA, Palm Springs, Joshua Tree, Las Vegas, Grand Canyon), starting Oct 20 on my first trip, and returning Nov 18 on my second trip. Thanks.
21 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
6560 posts
5636 upvotes
I find knowroaming rates pretty reasonable with unlimited data plans that you can tether

They have daily, 3 days or monthly plans.

Just don't load credit into your account as it'll expire after 9months and there's fixed amount on what you can load. Buy the data packages you need on their website and just redeem the voucher to get what you need without loading any money

https://www.knowroaming.co/order/
Deal Fanatic
Jan 12, 2005
5065 posts
1703 upvotes
Mississauga
I have no issue with Roam Mobility, it's just T-Mobile........... I tried knowroaming and just found it too much of a hassle to use.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
6560 posts
5636 upvotes
GateGuardian wrote: I have no issue with Roam Mobility, it's just T-Mobile........... I tried knowroaming and just found it too much of a hassle to use.
How is knowroaming anymore work to use? Swap in sim and go for both

Knowroaming uses AT&T in the states so much better coverage and way cheaper than roam mobility
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
6331 posts
1490 upvotes
Montreal
I haven't had any issues with Roam Mobility either however they don't have realtime tech support so, if you do have a problem, you can be without paid for service until it finally gets resolved. If it's on a weekend, good luck.
Phils
Deal Fanatic
Jan 12, 2005
5065 posts
1703 upvotes
Mississauga
Phils wrote: I haven't had any issues with Roam Mobility either however they don't have realtime tech support so, if you do have a problem, you can be without paid for service until it finally gets resolved. If it's on a weekend, good luck.
True. It happened to me once, where it was an outage on T-Mobile side. I just emailed them and got my refund. That said, I always have Roam Like Home as a backup, so it might not be a big deal when Roam doesn't work (it only happened to me once).
Aug 3, 2017
837 posts
641 upvotes
Having used my bell phone in the US for many years, I agree that service has gone significantly downhill in the past ~2 years. I can no longer rely on it to do conference calls while driving down the I95 and two weeks ago it was very unreliable to use google maps for driving in Texas.
Nov 5, 2007
303 posts
97 upvotes
I’ve used Roam mobility for years whenever I go down to Seattle for game conference, and it works alright everywhere except once you’re inside the convention center with 50k other people in the building

This year I gave up and went to bestbuy and picked up some prepaid sim for T-Mobile and another one that actually works with multiple network, it was a bit more expensive, but worked a bit better as well

If you can use a service like Roam like Home it’s even better
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2003
2111 posts
301 upvotes
GTA
For Roam Mobility, I see that it is $4.95 per day for 1GB LTE. So if you're travelling for five days, do you get a total of 5GB or still 1GB per day? And what network does it use? Thanks.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
6560 posts
5636 upvotes
Gigi wrote: For Roam Mobility, I see that it is $4.95 per day for 1GB LTE. So if you're travelling for five days, do you get a total of 5GB or still 1GB per day? And what network does it use? Thanks.
1gb per day. It's just a daily package

Knowroaming is $5.99 for 3 days in the US for unltd or $3.99 per day so much cheaper than roam and better network too (they use AT&T)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2003
2111 posts
301 upvotes
GTA
StatsGuy wrote: 1gb per day. It's just a daily package

Knowroaming is $5.99 for 3 days in the US for unltd or $3.99 per day so much cheaper than roam and better network too (they use AT&T)
Thanks, but I've had bad luck connecting with KR before. It's also throttled after 250MB. The AT&T part is good though.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
6560 posts
5636 upvotes
Gigi wrote: Thanks, but I've had bad luck connecting with KR before. It's also throttled after 250MB. The AT&T part is good though.
I used a few gigs a day on KR just last week and didn't experience throttling

Also impressed with their CR when I had an issue in Grand Turk where it didn't work and they replied email support in around 20mins
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2003
2111 posts
301 upvotes
GTA
StatsGuy wrote: I used a few gigs a day on KR just last week and didn't experience throttling

Also impressed with their CR when I had an issue in Grand Turk where it didn't work and they replied email support in around 20mins
That's good to hear. But the Fair Use Policy found here states:
Generally, we place no limitations on accounts drawing less than 250 MB per day. However, we reserve the right to scale access speed for individual accounts down to 2G (128 kbps) speeds once the user’s daily usage significantly exceeds the average on our network or begins to impact the ability of other customers to access data services.
Nov 30, 2015
427 posts
219 upvotes
GTA, ON
Gigi wrote: For Roam Mobility, I see that it is $4.95 per day for 1GB LTE. So if you're travelling for five days, do you get a total of 5GB or still 1GB per day? And what network does it use? Thanks.
If I read it correctly on their site you get all 5 gb upfront on day 1 to use over the 5-day period.

This is the quote from their site:
"NO-LIMIT DATA. We give you all your data up front so you can use it whenever you want."

Not sure which telecom they use but I thought I had read somewhere that it is T-Mobile. Someone else can answer this part.

For 5 days, another option to consider is the Most-Sim T-Mobile card on Amazon. I have used it on two trips in California and find it pretty good. And no need to worry about a 5 gb limit for almost the same price.

I do plan to try the Roam Mobility for my next 2-day trip next month and see that goes.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
17924 posts
5849 upvotes
London
Gigi wrote: Thanks for all the replies. I just happened upon this thread about travel sim cards for sale on Amazon: [Amazon Canada] US/Cda Travel SIMs - Prepaid with Large Data buckets, unl calling for other options.
For the att 22GB tripsim cards, you must put in the future activation date into the tripsim website at least 3 days in advance
Ie need first day on oct 25, must enter date in tripsim site by October 21
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
6331 posts
1490 upvotes
Montreal
lazybummer wrote:
I do plan to try the Roam Mobility for my next 2-day trip next month and see that goes.
It is primarily T-Mobile. Just make sure you look up how to setup the "wholesale" access point in advance so you can hit the pavement running when you get there because tech support will be slow to respond and, if it's a weekend, even worse.
Phils
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2003
2111 posts
301 upvotes
GTA
l69norm wrote: For the att 22GB tripsim cards, you must put in the future activation date into the tripsim website at least 3 days in advance
Ie need first day on oct 25, must enter date in tripsim site by October 21
Thanks. I've been looking at those because it uses AT&T. Just seems so expensive but I guess you get a lot of data.
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2012
4133 posts
711 upvotes
Toronto
Is there a good sim and plan I can for a cruise? Need connectivity in the US for a couple of days before a cruise, coverage in the Carribean and then in the US for a couple of days after.

Any suggestions?