Automotive

Alternatives to Rockauto shipping for RAV4 suspension kit? Amazon?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 18th, 2022 10:26 am
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
39339 posts
6342 upvotes
Winnipeg

Alternatives to Rockauto shipping for RAV4 suspension kit? Amazon?

I'm looking for suspension kit replacement for RAV4 V6 AWD and I found it on Rockauto. The price is fine but the shipping is outrageous, it is about $220 shipped to Canada. Amusingly, when I change province and city the shipping fee stays about the same. I checked ebay, the parts costs more and also there is extra shipping charge, although it is about half the shipping as RA. Amazon have free shipping but their exact parts costs way more.

My question is, I have found similar kit of different brand on amazon but I have never heard of the name, it is AutoShack SUSPPK0218. How does it compare to Monroe? I only know that Monroe brand is decent and KYB are OEM equivalents. How does all other brand ranks? I see FCS, GABRIEL, Transit Auto and Autoshack that I never heard of. Please give me recommendation on if I should proceed to order from RA with ridiculous shipping or get it elsewhere, and brand should be reliable.

MONROE 227227637289 kit
1x Strut / Coil Spring / Mount Assembly MONROE 272275 Quick-Strut
1x Strut / Coil Spring / Mount Assembly MONROE 272276 Quick-Strut
2x Shock Absorber MONROE 37289 OE Spectrum

MEVOTECH MKIT10324 kit
2x Stabilizer Bar End Link / Bushing MEVOTECH MS86803 Supreme
1x Tie Rod End MEVOTECH MES800054 Supreme
1x Tie Rod End MEVOTECH MES800053 Supreme
2x Ball Joint MEVOTECH MS86505 Supreme
2x Tie Rod End MEVOTECH MS86729 Supreme
6 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
39339 posts
6342 upvotes
Winnipeg
mxthor3 wrote: PartsAvatar
I checked their parts, it is about 50% more, but they do have free shipping.

What do you think Autoshack parts compared to MONROE?
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2004
3236 posts
1612 upvotes
If you’ve never of the name, then it’s more than likely total crap where you may get lucky, you may not.

If you were only getting non-moving parts like springs and the tie rod ends, then I’d say that you may as well save money. But for something like an actual strut where the quality of the seal/consistent pressure in the cartridge/good quality shaft is pretty important, I probably wouldn’t. It comes down to how much your money is worth to you vs your time when your car might be out of commission because one of the no-name struts are leaking.

Another thing to try is actually eBay but with Only Ships From Canada selected. I picked up some rear hubs for my sienna for crazy cheap prices because they were both cheap and shipping was free within canada (came from Ottawa in around 2 days).
Aug 21, 2020
94 posts
110 upvotes
Autoshack has been around for a while, and was previously on eBay under a different name. Their parts are often cheap and Chinese.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
13378 posts
8308 upvotes
Brampton
If you have a business see if you can register for a WorldPac Account.

Gabriel aka Gabriel Ride control was an American suspension part maker for trucks and heavy equipment. IIRC an Indian company bought them out. They have factories all over the world.

I'd rank them a smidge under Monroe for the passenger car market but miles better than the no name stuff.
Aug 18, 2013
475 posts
879 upvotes
Next door
Can you ship to Pembina and pick them up there?

I know you’d have to pay ND state tax but Canada Customs might waive you through.