• May 8th, 2018 1:56 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Dec 23, 2003
14399 posts
2902 upvotes
Toronto

Alternatives to Rogers Cable

I wanted to renew my cable tv services for my Senior folks with Rogers and was offered around $93 a month tax in for 1 HD PVR and 1 HD box on their Popular package. this seems rather high and was looking at more cost-effective ways. Essentially, I have 3 TVs that we watch services on and would like to record on 2 of them.

What would you guys suggest I do?
Car Batteries - FAQ, General Information, Tips & Tricks

Car Buying Tips & Tricks

My Cell Phone Providers: Koodo Mobile and Zoomer Wireless
3 replies
Feb 18, 2014
641 posts
1245 upvotes
How much are you looking to spend per month? Do you have any other services with Rogers? How tech-savvy are your parents?

In general, there won't be any real savings to be found switching from Rogers to another cable company like Bell since there is no real competition in Canada. The major savings comes from 'cord cutting'... which means dropping traditional cable for some combination OTA antenna (major networks/live tv/ news), PC/Plex/Kodi (PVR functionality), Netflix/Hulu/Amazon Prime (movies & tv series), and MLB,tv, NBA league pass etc if you want sports.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
5081 posts
2697 upvotes
Toronto
If you have Rogers cable tv at at your home with multiple boxes, just give one to your folks and don't renew at their place.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2015
3158 posts
1554 upvotes
Toronto, ON
peteryorkuca wrote: If you have Rogers cable tv at at your home with multiple boxes, just give one to your folks and don't renew at their place.
But doesn't that mean they have to cancel service with Rogers, then Rogers would put a block on their line? But I do know some instances where the cable was working regardless of cancellation. I thought the new PVR are hard coded to the address it is being used on?

OP why not go with IPTV for your parents? 2 premium servers would cost about $30 / month ($15 each / month) and 2 boxes (MAG322w1) would cost you $130 each. That's what I did for my parents, and they love it because it is easy and simple to use. As for PVR, most IPTV servers have either a 7 or 14 day catchup TV so you can go back to a certain missed event. Or you can use a USB stick and record timed shows on their. It won't be a straight alternative, but it is something cost effective with lots more channels then what Rogers would offer.
If you like the post or the comment, then don't forget to SMASH that LIKE BUTTON!