• Jun 22nd, 2020 10:01 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2007
1164 posts
281 upvotes

Alternatives to slow DSL for business office

Hi all,

Looking for some help / suggestions. My wife just signed a lease for a business office in Mississauga (407 / Hurontario area). When she called for Internet - Bell (Rogers won't even service), the best they could offer is DSL with 5Mbps download / 800kbps upload which will likely be too slow, especially since they use Zoom for online conferencing.

It seems to be an instrastructure limitation in the area as other providers like Vmedia are offering similar packages. I'm looking towards the possibility of satillite, similar to what is used in Rural areas and looking if anyone has a recommendation or suggestion.

I found one site that has decent speeds - but haven't called them yet.
https://wisponline.ca/packages/

Thank you
10 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
5138 posts
2734 upvotes
Toronto
Ask Rogers to run a cable to your office or to the building. It will take some time but you will have another option in few months of they agreeing.

Don't forget to count all the offices and give the number of potential customers to Rogers.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2007
1164 posts
281 upvotes
peteryorkuca wrote: Ask Rogers to run a cable to your office or to the building. It will take some time but you will have another option in few months of they agreeing.

Don't forget to count all the offices and give the number of potential customers to Rogers.
Thanks for the suggestion - do you have to press the issue or request a specific department. When my wife called - they basically told her SOL
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
5138 posts
2734 upvotes
Toronto
canadiancynosure wrote: Thanks for the suggestion - do you have to press the issue or request a specific department. When my wife called - they basically told her SOL
You might have to do both. First time I called in, they wanted $20k to run the cable, few months later they said free and Rogers was up and running few months after that. So it took like a year. Overall, happy with 100m service instead of 5m from bell, which also had tendacy to not work and needed manual monthly reboot.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2007
1164 posts
281 upvotes
teamocil wrote: underground wire is the preferred option. Depending on the location, there are some fixed wireless providers around that can provided up to gigabit symmetrical.

Find your location and see what is available.
https://www.ic.gc.ca/app/sitt/bbmap/hm.html?lang=eng

Also found this, not sure if available in your area.
http://icawireless.ca
Thanks for the info - I tried calling ICA, but no answer

I wasn't sure how to use the government map - it just shows a grey hexagon
Deal Addict
Feb 13, 2017
1104 posts
137 upvotes
canadiancynosure wrote: Thanks for the info - I tried calling ICA, but no answer

I wasn't sure how to use the government map - it just shows a grey hexagon
on the left there should be an "Area Information" tab that will list providers in the area.
Apr 27, 2016
8 posts
2 upvotes
The answer will probably be the same (ie - you really don't have an alternative) but I would think your best shot at an answer will come from dslreports canadian forums.
Oct 11, 2013
190 posts
56 upvotes
Almost American
You could do bonded DSL which would give you two modems at the property for a combined 10 Mbps, 1.6 Mbps. You could also get a cell plan 50 GB / $100 /mo or a mobile hotspot plan, which appears to be cheapest from rogers. Xplornet also offers fixed wireless LTE service, but I don't know your postal code so can't look that up for you. Satellite (until Starlink comes along) will be very high in terms of latency (around 700 ms).
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2007
1164 posts
281 upvotes
expresspotato wrote: You could do bonded DSL which would give you two modems at the property for a combined 10 Mbps, 1.6 Mbps. You could also get a cell plan 50 GB / $100 /mo or a mobile hotspot plan, which appears to be cheapest from rogers. Xplornet also offers fixed wireless LTE service, but I don't know your postal code so can't look that up for you. Satellite (until Starlink comes along) will be very high in terms of latency (around 700 ms).
They said they did a study about running a 90metre line for all the businesses - but ended there. There's alot of professional offices in the area - but guess they didn't see the ROI.
We ended up going with Rogers and getting the Hotspot plan. It's $120 but has the solid up/down speeds they need for conferencing. The caveat is they only have 50GB a month - and $20 for each additional 10GB, so they'll have to monitor their usage.