• Last Updated:
  • Jan 14th, 2023 3:07 pm
24 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2003
1527 posts
455 upvotes
Woodbridge
Aside from receiving an email from Koodo, how are they related to Altima?

Anyone have personal reviews of Altima?
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
3720 posts
4112 upvotes
Montreal, QC
I was just curious so put in my address and Unlimited 100 is not even an option offered in my area :)

IF it is Bell technology, I know bell is capped at 50Mbps in my area (go figure). Cable internet, is served by Videotron in my area, which is 120Mbps unlimited.

So this is surely a YMMV, depending on area.
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2010
3995 posts
8807 upvotes
sterdeus wrote: Aside from receiving an email from Koodo, how are they related to Altima?

Second cousin twice removed
Public Mobile customer
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
3720 posts
4112 upvotes
Montreal, QC
sterdeus wrote: Aside from receiving an email from Koodo, how are they related to Altima?

I was with Altima for many years. Did not have any issues with the service. Had their cable 100/30 profile if I recall (no longer offered in QC).

Only reason I left was because at the time, I got better pricing from Fizz (here in QC), for twice the speed. I called Altima to see if they could match at the time. They tried to give me a few discounts, but it was still nowhere close and they would be temporary discounts for 1 yr. The next year, I'd go back to full price.

With Fizz I was paying $50/m for 120/20 cable service (modem "rental" included). I also have $6 worth of bonuses (which I have accumulated from Forum activities), so my price was $44/m. They dropped the price of the 200/30 profile to $53 (just $3 more), so I decided to switch, so my price next month will be $47+tx for the 200/30 cable. And best part about Fizz, is no surprise price increases on plans unless YOU make a change to your plan.

At the time (just like now), they have extra promos with their referrals, so it helps bring down the cost also. Obviously Fizz is not for everyone since they are limited in the area they serve, and all is done online (registration, supports, etc.. - no one to call). But for me it was fine.

But Altima, overall n terms of service was great. Never had any outage, and all emails to support were taken care of promptly and very polite. I would not hesitate to go back with them if the price was right.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2006
3889 posts
2682 upvotes
Toronto
And no modem fee if you choose the wifi mesh one?

However, if you use more than one mesh router, do they all get a coaxial cable, or just one?
Nov 18, 2022
2 posts
Altima is reselling Videotron in Quebec. At least that goes for my area. I'm with them and have zero issues.
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2012
4981 posts
4421 upvotes
Shows $49 for 100 and $69 for 150 in Vancouver.

Might as well get Freedom Internet at $55 for 150. Shaw backbone in GVRD.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
3720 posts
4112 upvotes
Montreal, QC
beachlover wrote: And no modem fee if you choose the wifi mesh one?

However, if you use more than one mesh router, do they all get a coaxial cable, or just one?
There is no modem "fee" regardless if you take a router or not. They seem to offer the AC2100 Mesh router (at least the first unit) free of charge also. Only the first unit needs to be connected directly to the modem. Any other units (should you choose to rent any at $5/m each) are connected wirelessly to the first one. For some reason I don't see an option to REFUSE any router, if you don't want one (because you have your own). I personally prefer getting my own router equipment. For a small apartment, what they offer is probably sufficient. For any larger homes, it will be a hit&miss.

I don't know if they charge a deposit any more for the modem. Many moons ago, they were not. Then they started charging something like a $60 deposit (returned after you return the modem when/if you cancel). Nowadays I have no clue. Either way I know it is returned once you return it, since mine was refunded when I returned my modem without an issue.
Sep 22, 2010
252 posts
106 upvotes
Vancouver
muffin4life wrote: Shows $49 for 100 and $69 for 150 in Vancouver.

Might as well get Freedom Internet at $55 for 150. Shaw backbone in GVRD.
Freedom Internet = Shaw in GVRD
When I left Freedom last year, the last bill/farewell email was sent from Shaw.
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2012
4981 posts
4421 upvotes
atxavier wrote: Freedom Internet = Shaw in GVRD
When I left Freedom last year, the last bill/farewell email was sent from Shaw.
Correct. So it's as good if not better than any other Shaw resellers but also cheaper than Shaw
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2005
2616 posts
3626 upvotes
St Clements, MB
I am thinking of switching to Koodo to get this deal and because Telus towers are closer to my home than my current provider, Fido.

What would the 75 Mbps to 150 Mbps Cable Internet rates be in Manitoba?
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2008
1235 posts
291 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Emporium wrote: I was with Altima for many years. Did not have any issues with the service. Had their cable 100/30 profile if I recall (no longer offered in QC).

Only reason I left was because at the time, I got better pricing from Fizz (here in QC), for twice the speed. I called Altima to see if they could match at the time. They tried to give me a few discounts, but it was still nowhere close and they would be temporary discounts for 1 yr. The next year, I'd go back to full price.

With Fizz I was paying $50/m for 120/20 cable service (modem "rental" included). I also have $6 worth of bonuses (which I have accumulated from Forum activities), so my price was $44/m. They dropped the price of the 200/30 profile to $53 (just $3 more), so I decided to switch, so my price next month will be $47+tx for the 200/30 cable. And best part about Fizz, is no surprise price increases on plans unless YOU make a change to your plan.

At the time (just like now), they have extra promos with their referrals, so it helps bring down the cost also. Obviously Fizz is not for everyone since they are limited in the area they serve, and all is done online (registration, supports, etc.. - no one to call). But for me it was fine.

But Altima, overall n terms of service was great. Never had any outage, and all emails to support were taken care of promptly and very polite. I would not hesitate to go back with them if the price was right.
Same pretty much, I had AltimaTel in my condo, then when I moved I switched to Carrytel for a cheap deal for a bit, now I'm on Fizz. Altimatel has an office in Montreal
Dec 24, 2012
35 posts
24 upvotes
SARNIA
Well this is stupid. I have options to their 15/40/60/120/1000mps speed plan.. but not their 100mbps.

Guess I'm ineligible
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2005
2616 posts
3626 upvotes
St Clements, MB
I just got a reply from Altima that my address in St. Clements is not servicable even though I currently have Shaw Cable.
Jan 24, 2011
884 posts
716 upvotes
Montreal / Laval
TSSPat wrote: Well this is stupid. I have options to their 15/40/60/120/1000mps speed plan.. but not their 100mbps.

Guess I'm ineligible
Same here in Laval. I'm with IVC telecom which is Videotron reseller, similar to Altima. I'm paying 50$ for 120/30 Mb. No complain over 3 years, their upload is not capped, just uploading 2TB over the last week. Otherwise I rarely go over 400Gb/mo.

IVC is running promotion on 100/10 Mb for 40$ on 2 years terms. I think it's a better deal. Referal is 10$ for both.

https://www.ivctel.com/Internet/Plan/MK ... _Cable_100
-------------
Public Mobile Cell + Data: Unlimited talk and text + 2GB - 18$
IVC Internet : 100/30M Videotron cable - 40$
Jun 5, 2021
445 posts
370 upvotes
nicknam4e wrote: Same here in Laval. I'm with IVC telecom which is Videotron reseller, similar to Altima. I'm paying 50$ for 120/30 Mb. No complain over 3 years, their upload is not capped, just uploading 2TB over the last week. Otherwise I rarely go over 400Gb/mo.

IVC is running promotion on 100/10 Mb for 40$ on 2 years terms. I think it's a better deal. Referal is 10$ for both.

https://www.ivctel.com/Internet/Plan/MK ... _Cable_100
Is this available in Southeast ON?
Nov 24, 2022
2 posts
2 upvotes
I used Altima for the past 3 years, but I'm switching away now.

I had my connection cut once every few months for hours at a time, it's always very easy to reach them by phone with minimal wait, but the service just isn't reliable. The person who answers the phone is usually quite frank about the reason of disruption e.g. someone did something wrong with their server. Once I asked about reimbursement because I lost connection for 4 hours while working from home, they offered to reimburse me for one whole day, that is $1.5 as my monthly plan was $45.

The final straw for me was only a few days ago. I was away from home and the internet was randomly cut again, so I couldn't double-check my pet at home using the wi-fi connected pet camera. Considering getting Fizz now.