Health & Wellness

Aluminum Foil on Window Hit by Sun/Heat = Cooler Room Temperature (Heat Wave)

[OP]
Banned
Oct 10, 2020
1038 posts
614 upvotes

Aluminum Foil on Window Hit by Sun/Heat = Cooler Room Temperature (Heat Wave)

Be aware that shielding the sun radiation from behind the window may increase the chance of the glass cracking (thermal stress). The chance increases significantly with imperfect glass/install, cold/hot spots and a thinner glass/pane ( double/triple pane glass usually has thinner glass ).

Up to 5 degree Celsius lower depending on window/room size.

Image
- https://www.nuclear-power.net/nuclear-e ... materials/


Last edited by the2ndme on Jul 9th, 2021 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
36 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2009
5036 posts
2594 upvotes
Toronto
yeah but it makes your place look like a grow op
[OP]
Banned
Oct 10, 2020
1038 posts
614 upvotes
ROYinTO wrote: yeah but it makes your place look like a grow op
Most people rather not die then care about what other people think.
Banned
Jun 23, 2021
57 posts
64 upvotes
somebeachsomewhere
the2ndme wrote: Most people rather not die then care about what other people think.
i just turn the dial on the AC a little lower..its cheaper and quicker and no mess
[OP]
Banned
Oct 10, 2020
1038 posts
614 upvotes
HarshReality wrote: how many had AC and were too cheap to turn it on?

For a lot of people, "portable" AC is the only option. Most of them can't cool an extreme hot room.
Banned
Jun 23, 2021
57 posts
64 upvotes
somebeachsomewhere
the2ndme wrote: For a lot of people, "portable" AC is the only option. Most of them can't cool an extreme hot room.
are we talking hillbillies or city people?..if you can afford the city , you can afford AC
if you can't...get another job or move to Calgary
[OP]
Banned
Oct 10, 2020
1038 posts
614 upvotes
HarshReality wrote: are we talking hillbillies or city people?..if you can afford the city , you can afford AC
if you can't...get another job or move to Calgary
Or put up aluminum foils. It's environmentally friendlier too.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
7185 posts
3340 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
If it wasn't for the fact that most homes aren't designed and built for them, shutters would be much more effective so this is 2nd best..

shutters-better-home-thermal-efficiency-2357075/
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Guru
User avatar
Oct 23, 2008
13851 posts
11032 upvotes
GTA, ON
the2ndme wrote: I was wondering why they called it a "shutter" when it doesn't shut.
Because like many things in N.America (especially USA), things are just plain wrong and serve no practical purpose. I personally think decorative shutters are silly. Either install a proper functional one or none at all.
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
7185 posts
3340 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
the2ndme wrote: I was wondering why they called it a "shutter" when it doesn't shut.
Purely vestigial and decorative in North America for the most part. With a gap between shutter and window, a nice little boundary layer is created which helps thermal insulation (summer and winter).

Shutters are de rigueur in older French houses but the new ones don't seem to have any. These are not just for insulation but for security as well.

In some countries, shutters can swing out from the bottom to provide more shade and ventilation.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Addict
User avatar
May 8, 2007
1156 posts
375 upvotes
Fraser Valley, BC
Yes, nasty heat wave in BC, was 43C in my area yesterday and I had to do some dirty work in the house crawl space. I have 3 x 5000BTU air conditioners and all they can do is take the edge off the heat and humidity, need lots more BTUs of AC for these conditions. This heat wave has very little wind and temperature drop at night so the house walls and framing remain hot like 30 to 32C all night and that makes it easy for the sun to heat up the house the next day.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
7185 posts
3340 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
adams7 wrote: Yes, nasty heat wave in BC, was 43C in my area yesterday and I had to do some dirty work in the house crawl space. I have 3 x 5000BTU air conditioners and all they can do is take the edge off the heat and humidity, need lots more BTUs of AC for these conditions. This heat wave has very little wind and temperature drop at night so the house walls and framing remain hot like 30 to 32C all night and that makes it easy for the sun to heat up the house the next day.
5,000 BTU isn't that much (I think x3 is "1 ton", maybe 1.5 ton?), and the way these are mounted (assuming window, or portable with hose outlets) is itself a source of heat ingress.

My house is well insulated so the heat pump could easily maintain 24C for the 66 hr period is was on (never let the house warm up inside). I guess if houses had light coloured roofs and light coloured walls, it'd help tremendously at least in the hot season.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2015
2135 posts
1096 upvotes
Calgary, AB
thriftshopper wrote: Purely vestigial and decorative in North America for the most part. With a gap between shutter and window, a nice little boundary layer is created which helps thermal insulation (summer and winter).

Shutters are de rigueur in older French houses but the new ones don't seem to have any. These are not just for insulation but for security as well.

In some countries, shutters can swing out from the bottom to provide more shade and ventilation.
A lot of new ones do, especially in cities. They’re not the traditional swing shutters, rather are roller shutters that integrate into the window.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 26, 2002
6348 posts
745 upvotes
BC
HarshReality wrote: how many had AC and were too cheap to turn it on?
When its 47? No one.
That's my 2cents worth

Top