Students

Am about to be attending a college fire program but missed my orientation; how bad does that realistically look?

[OP]
Aug 19, 2020
0 posts

Am about to be attending a college fire program but missed my orientation; how bad does that realistically look?

I’m scheduled to be starting at my school in September for Firefighting pre-service, and they sent an email at the beginning of the month notifying all students we’d have to sign up for our gear fitting, and gave us the dates for our online orientations. I clicked the link to sign up for my gear fitting, but must’ve accidentally marked the email as spam after, and the email was in that folder. Long story short, I retroactively found out I missed my orientation, and feel like an idiot. My school counsel or simply advised me to wait for the fire programs head to contact me, which he hasn’t done yet. I’m caught up with the program otherwise (have classes picked, etc.) but I feel like an idiot for missing my mandatory orientation. I’m having a bit of anxiety over it, especially because the program coordinator hasn’t gotten back to me, but realistically how big of a deal is this? I’m completely prepared to let the rest of my actions talk for me when I’m at school and Working in service, but feel this could stunt my ability to get through school nonetheless. Is this as a big of a deal as I feel it might be?
3 replies
Jun 12, 2008
978 posts
426 upvotes
Ripley
That's a good lesson to learn at the beginning of a program! Just be sure to mark down everything from now on.

I would contact the program head. I wouldn't wait for him to call me. Other than that, I am sure you are fine.
Jul 15, 2006
868 posts
55 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Guywithfeet wrote: I’m scheduled to be starting at my school in September for Firefighting pre-service, and they sent an email at the beginning of the month notifying all students we’d have to sign up for our gear fitting, and gave us the dates for our online orientations. I clicked the link to sign up for my gear fitting, but must’ve accidentally marked the email as spam after, and the email was in that folder. Long story short, I retroactively found out I missed my orientation, and feel like an idiot. My school counsel or simply advised me to wait for the fire programs head to contact me, which he hasn’t done yet. I’m caught up with the program otherwise (have classes picked, etc.) but I feel like an idiot for missing my mandatory orientation. I’m having a bit of anxiety over it, especially because the program coordinator hasn’t gotten back to me, but realistically how big of a deal is this? I’m completely prepared to let the rest of my actions talk for me when I’m at school and Working in service, but feel this could stunt my ability to get through school nonetheless. Is this as a big of a deal as I feel it might be?
Generally Program Coordinators are on summer break and tend to return during the last week of August. You can wait or reach out to the Associate Dean or the Dean for your program.

Life happens. They may hopefully have an alternative arrangement in case someone misses the mandatory orientation.
Dec 28, 2011
844 posts
349 upvotes
Midland
Trust me, your not a moron. This stuff happens ALOT. Just be direct. E.g. I need to reschedule my fitting. Honey badger do not care about your excuses