Computers & Electronics

AM/FM Radio + Bluetooth unit for the kitchen?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 16th, 2016 3:38 pm
Oct 29, 2009
681 posts
356 upvotes

AM/FM Radio + Bluetooth unit for the kitchen?

I'm looking for a unit to sit on the counter in the kitchen that we can use for both AM/FM Radio and for playing content via Bluetooth off our phones, for less than $200. Audio needs to be of reasonable quality, but we are not audiophiles, so anything that can fill a room should be fine. The only decent unit that I've been able to find is a Bose Sound Wave IV which is well over our price range. Would appreciate any recommendations.
9 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2006
1085 posts
633 upvotes
Any luck on finding anything OP? I'm looking for something similar, but you're right that the only option seems to be the Bose (Or other crappy/cheap units).
Nov 14, 2008
857 posts
325 upvotes
Does the device you currently use for radio have a stereo audio out ? Most of these bluetooth portable speakers have stereo in
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2989 posts
2030 upvotes
Calgary
It's right at the edge of your budget, but I have a Sangean WR22 unit that works very well. Excellent reception, great sound (for radio or Bluetooth).
Jun 1, 2008
36 posts
41 upvotes
Waterloo
Not exactly what you asked for, but have you thought about a Sonos?
We have one on our kitchen counter and love it. Use it every day.
No radio, but all the local radio stations and pretty much every radio station in the world are free through the tunein app. it's all over wifi and controlled through smart phone or tablet.
Oct 29, 2009
681 posts
356 upvotes
Devhux wrote: It's right at the edge of your budget, but I have a Sangean WR22 unit that works very well. Excellent reception, great sound (for radio or Bluetooth).
I read that the Sangean forgets all presets/pairings etc. when the power goes out, which sounds like a pain in the ass. And also that it has trouble when trying to switch between different paired bluetooth devices (e.g. my phone and my wifes phone). Would you agree with that?
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2989 posts
2030 upvotes
Calgary
McGuillicuddy wrote: I read that the Sangean forgets all presets/pairings etc. when the power goes out, which sounds like a pain in the ass. And also that it has trouble when trying to switch between different paired bluetooth devices (e.g. my phone and my wifes phone). Would you agree with that?
I'll actually have to check for that. I'm guessing at least for the presets, a brief power outage doesn't seem to affect them as I haven't noticed that (we don't have many power issues here at all)
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2989 posts
2030 upvotes
Calgary
McGuillicuddy wrote: I read that the Sangean forgets all presets/pairings etc. when the power goes out, which sounds like a pain in the ass. And also that it has trouble when trying to switch between different paired bluetooth devices (e.g. my phone and my wifes phone). Would you agree with that?
I'll actually have to check for that. I'm guessing at least for the presets, a brief power outage doesn't seem to affect them as I haven't noticed that (we don't have many power issues here at all)
Oct 29, 2009
681 posts
356 upvotes
Tomek_ wrote: Not exactly what you asked for, but have you thought about a Sonos?
We have one on our kitchen counter and love it. Use it every day.
No radio, but all the local radio stations and pretty much every radio station in the world are free through the tunein app. it's all over wifi and controlled through smart phone or tablet.
The problem with online feeds of radio stations is that sports broadcasts are often blocked in the online feed. For example, Blue Jays games broadcast on AM590 are not carried on the online AM590 feed (some lame ESPN radio feed is spliced in instead). Not really interested in paying $10/month for Tunein radio Premium to listen to sports broadcasts that are free on an AM/FM radio.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38395 posts
12019 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Devhux wrote: It's right at the edge of your budget, but I have a Sangean WR22 unit that works very well. Excellent reception, great sound (for radio or Bluetooth).
Does the MP3 playback via USB offer a shuffle or random feature?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)