Entertainment

AM/FM soon to be no longer free in some cars?

  • Last Updated:
  • Jan 11th, 2023 5:46 pm
Tags:
67 replies
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 23, 2008
17260 posts
15043 upvotes
GTA, ON
THAT is the stupidest thing I have ever heard.
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2015
7415 posts
2379 upvotes
0 downvotes
Its also a US article, so it likely wont impact us, we need to find a Canadian article confirming if Canadian auto makers will do this up here in Canada
Say NO to the WAR!
PEACE is the answer!
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
19899 posts
6828 upvotes
Toronto
GoodFellaz wrote: Its also a US article, so it likely wont impact us, we need to find a Canadian article confirming if Canadian auto makers will do this up here in Canada
This is an excellent point. Hopefully it's only an American thing and it will fail miserably long before Canada ever gets a chance to give it a try.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Nov 15, 2020
5725 posts
4379 upvotes
easiliy replaced by 3rd party. No worries.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
19899 posts
6828 upvotes
Toronto
evilYoda wrote: easily replaced by 3rd party. No worries.
Internet radios do exist, so maybe replacing AM radio with listening to something as simple as CityNews 680 online might screw this whole idea over royally...but how much will it cost to have internet access in the car???
(I LOVE 680 News. It is very informative and useful)
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 23, 2008
17260 posts
15043 upvotes
GTA, ON
Also have to remember that the National Emergency Alert System also works with radio, so preventing people from accessing the AM/FM radio bands will likely mean this will never happen in the US.
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2011
3079 posts
2653 upvotes
Toronto
playnicee1 wrote: Internet radios do exist, so maybe replacing AM radio with listening to something as simple as CityNews 680 online might screw this whole idea over royally...but how much will it cost to have internet access in the car???
(I LOVE 680 News. It is very informative and useful)
Dont really need internet in cars. Just stream over your phone and use Bluetooth to connect to your cars infotainment. Ultimately data plans in Canada will become infinite and become less in price.
Up votes, down votes, they're all votes for me! I thank you!
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
4224 posts
3054 upvotes
Montreal
From the article it's not even pay once and get it, it's a subscription.

Soon your brake pedal will be also has to be subscribed lol.
Member
Feb 20, 2018
351 posts
2609 upvotes
I think most people would rather not listen to the radio if it becomes subscription-based. They'll just play music from their phone. This could impact radio ad revenue quite a bit.

The majority of people who listen to the radio are probably ones who are driving to work. Most people probably don't spend their free time listening to radio nowadays. There's also so many other options like streaming music or podcasts.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
19899 posts
6828 upvotes
Toronto
Gedfrad wrote: Most people probably don't spend their free time listening to radio nowadays. There's also so many other options like streaming music or podcasts.
Ratings show that many are indeed listening to the radio still. Somehow Boom 97.3 managed to beat out CHFI in the recent ratings book with very high ratings.
CHFI was number one in Toronto for many years.
Also for one book, Q 107 managed to be on top. (they went back down...just a lucky book, lol)

I don't drive, but if I did, I'd want a traffic report in my car. (from 680 news)

Radio has a long way to go before it becomes the next crashing Titanic. (if ever)
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
19899 posts
6828 upvotes
Toronto
jzmtl wrote: Soon your brake pedal will be also has to be subscribed lol.
I doubt they'd be that silly, but in all seriousness,
perhaps optional features like heated seats and heated steering wheels
will be included on every car in order to make the manufacturing process more uniform and cheaper but you'll have to buy subscriptions to activate them.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 8, 2014
26801 posts
11266 upvotes
Socially Distanced
The government can mandate that AM/FM cannot be removed or made subscription only.
But will they?
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Member
Feb 20, 2018
351 posts
2609 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote: Ratings show that many are indeed listening to the radio still. Somehow Boom 97.3 managed to beat out CHFI in the recent ratings book with very high ratings.
CHFI was number one in Toronto for many years.
Also for one book, Q 107 managed to be on top. (they went back down...just a lucky book, lol)

I don't drive, but if I did, I'd want a traffic report in my car. (from 680 news)

Radio has a long way to go before it becomes the next crashing Titanic. (if ever)
Do you think it's the drivers who are boosting the radio ratings? I was thinking most people in their free time wouldn't choose to listen to the radio.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
19899 posts
6828 upvotes
Toronto
Gedfrad wrote: Do you think it's the drivers who are boosting the radio ratings? I was thinking most people in their free time wouldn't choose to listen to the radio.
Many people do turn on the radio while active in house cleaning on week ends or for various other reasons, but the radio tends to be more of a background sound rather than an active listening thing.
I wonder if anyone even pays any attention to the ads anymore. If not, how does radio make any money?
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 12, 2005
10978 posts
2781 upvotes
Victoria
evilYoda wrote: easiliy replaced by 3rd party. No worries.
Is it? One of things that's bugged me with new cars the most over the past number of years, is how integrated the car stereo unit is in the car. They increasing aren't the standard rectangular size, that you could easily replace. I've always been the kind of person to upgrade the car stereo unit when I buy a new used car. It's' bummed me out how increasingly difficult that looks in modern cars.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Nov 14, 2003
5854 posts
4392 upvotes
LaLaLand
Gedfrad wrote: I think most people would rather not listen to the radio if it becomes subscription-based. They'll just play music from their phone. This could impact radio ad revenue quite a bit.

The majority of people who listen to the radio are probably ones who are driving to work. Most people probably don't spend their free time listening to radio nowadays. There's also so many other options like streaming music or podcasts.
I agree it is mostly folks driving to work that listen to the radio. I cannot imagine paying for radio and then having to listen to ads. Paying for radio would kill it.

I haven't listened to the radio in my car in over ten years. I either listen to music from my phone via Bluetooth or Sirius satellite radio. It is more relaxing than listening to ads.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jan 9, 2011
15779 posts
21497 upvotes
Vancouver
This honestly sounds like something I'd read on The Onion. Hard to believe it's real. First it was BMW's heated seats subscription, where they remotely disable the feature if you don't pay the monthly fee. Now this. What next? Pay a monthly subscription fee for...uhhh...It's hard to imagine something satirical to say because the reality already sounds so much like satire.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 23, 2008
17260 posts
15043 upvotes
GTA, ON
batcave wrote: I agree it is mostly folks driving to work that listen to the radio. I cannot imagine paying for radio and then having to listen to ads. Paying for radio would kill it.

I haven't listened to the radio in my car in over ten years. I either listen to music from my phone via Bluetooth or Sirius satellite radio. It is more relaxing than listening to ads.
Just because you choose to spend your money on a luxury like Sirius/XM, it doesn't mean the vast majority of others do.

I highly doubt any company is going to be foolish enough to charge owners to access free radio analog frequencies. Further, as mentioned, the Emergency Alert System would be hampered if people cannot access the AM/FM dial in an emergency.
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Expert
User avatar
Mar 23, 2009
21251 posts
7660 upvotes
Toronto
Kiraly wrote: This honestly sounds like something I'd read on The Onion. Hard to believe it's real. First it was BMW's heated seats subscription, where they remotely disable the feature if you don't pay the monthly fee. Now this. What next? Pay a monthly subscription fee for...uhhh...It's hard to imagine something satirical to say because the reality already sounds so much like satire.
Toyota will make you pay a subscription to start your car.*

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/toyo ... scription/

*remotely

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)