Personal Finance

Am I allowed to receive rental income while taking CERB?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 4th, 2020 4:56 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 22, 2019
1313 posts
1259 upvotes

Am I allowed to receive rental income while taking CERB?

Lost job, but still have some rental income greater than $1000 per month. I am currently taking CERB, is this ok?
World cup is coming
6 replies
Jan 7, 2020
54 posts
20 upvotes
As far as I know CERB only applies to your employment income. So if you have investment income, that would not have an effect on your CERB eligibility.

From the website:

What counts towards the $1,000 in income I can earn?
The $1,000 includes employment and/or self-employment income. This includes among others: tips you may earn while working; non-eligible dividends; honoraria (e.g., nominal amounts paid to emergency service volunteers); and royalties (e.g., paid to artists).

However, royalty payments received from work that took place before the period for which a person applies for the Canada Emergency Response Benefit do not count as income during that specific benefit period.

Pensions, student loans and bursaries are not employment income and therefore, should not be included in the $1,000.

Applications will be verified against tax records to confirm income.

https://www.canada.ca/en/services/benef ... quirements
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2006
8004 posts
2340 upvotes
Toronto
Cantona18 wrote: As far as I know CERB only applies to your employment income. So if you have investment income, that would not have an effect on your CERB eligibility.

From the website:

What counts towards the $1,000 in income I can earn?
The $1,000 includes employment and/or self-employment income. This includes among others: tips you may earn while working; non-eligible dividends; honoraria (e.g., nominal amounts paid to emergency service volunteers); and royalties (e.g., paid to artists).

However, royalty payments received from work that took place before the period for which a person applies for the Canada Emergency Response Benefit do not count as income during that specific benefit period.

Pensions, student loans and bursaries are not employment income and therefore, should not be included in the $1,000.

Applications will be verified against tax records to confirm income.

https://www.canada.ca/en/services/benef ... quirements
Rental income = self-employment income, right? It is just like you earn $ renting a place to someone.

On tax time, the renter declares rental expenses then the landlord will get catch.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
37401 posts
5252 upvotes
Winnipeg
CERB have nothing to do with passive income and investment income.
WTB amazon gc @90%
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
1633 posts
638 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Rental income is not treated as self-employment income (even though logically it should be).

You can receive rental income while receiving CERB. The CERB is supposed to replace employment and self-employment income.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)