PC & Video Games

AM I THE ONLY ONE AROUND HERE that actually liked PS Move on PS3?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 27th, 2016 4:54 pm
[OP]
Nov 9, 2010
759 posts
947 upvotes
Scarborough, ON

AM I THE ONLY ONE AROUND HERE that actually liked PS Move on PS3?

With the PS Move controllers back in the news for Playstation VR, it's interesting seeing the amount of hate coming from people that already own them. Some of the arguments are valid:

Product was a flop
PS Move sold around 15 million units, which is around 1 out of every 5 PS3 owners and below Sony's expectations

Lack of quality games
Software support for PS Move was also below Sony's expectations. Other than a few big games that could also be played with a regular controller (Killzone 3, Resistance 3, Infamous 2, etc.), there was a distinct lack of AAA experiences exclusively for PS Move.

However, I've seen some people saying it was horrible hardware, and that there were NO good games to be had. Personally, I don't see how they can say that. I'll give a few examples of games I played with PS Move and why I enjoyed them:

Sports Champions
SO MUCH BETTER THAN WII SPORTS!! Frisbee golf, volleyball and Gladiator stand out to me as prime examples of the Move controllers implemented properly. In those games, the best way to get good was to pretend you're actually playing the sport. The direction, angle, and power of your movements translates extremely well to the corresponding on-screen behaviour.

Infamous 2
I played through Infamous 2 twice. Once with the PS Move and Navigation controllers and once with the regular PS3 controller. I can honestly say that playing with the Move controller A) worked quite well with the controls, and B) was more fun than the regular controller. The studio did a great job adapting their game to use the motion controller.

The Fight: Lights Out
This game definitely had some frustrating issues. The "special moves" required unnatural movements that just didn't feel right and were not detected very consistently. The almost-mandatory gym training was a chore, and stupidly was the only way to make your movements more responsive (initially it feels like your character is fighting with 30lb weights on both arms).
HOWEVER, the basic mechanics of the game, i.e. the punching and blocking, were actually quite good. It provided a solid workout, since you really needed to punch hard IRL to get your character to punch hard. Once you get into the rhythm of things, it's a very cool experience that I don't think any other fighting game has come close to.

Start The Party
Marketed as a little kid or family game, this was actually a lot more fun than Mario Party has been in years. Another excellent implementation of the Move controllers, which overlayed the game's graphics on top of yourself and your room. Responsiveness was excellent, the games were unique and made good use of the Move controller's full range of motions (tilting, rotating, moving back & forth in 3D space, etc), and most importantly it was FUN! Great game to whip out with a few friends over as an alternative to the typical Mario Kart/Smash Bros party game.

If you're planning on getting the Playstation VR and you already have a PS3, I'd say go ahead and pick up a PS3 Eye camera, some Move controllers and a couple of these games on the cheap. This'll give you some fun experiences, while getting you used to the PS Move controller so there's no learning curve when you hop into PS VR.

What do others think? Is the hate that PS3 Move gets deserved or overblown? Do others have good experiences with the Move on PS3, or am I just a stupid, brainless Sony fanboy?

Cheers!
PSN/XBL/Steam/Origin: djwalsh3000
18 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
8712 posts
3080 upvotes
The best uses of Move Controls IMO, are House of the Dead Overkill Extended Cut (with the Move Pistol add-on)
and Resident Evil 5 Gold Edition with the navigator controller and move wand (although I still prefer using the DS3 over it).

Sports Champions is more accurate than Wii motion controls but the game itself is not better than Wii Sports or Wii Sports Resort.
Sports Champions just does not have the same appeal or hooks.

Heavy Rain is a better experience on the DS3's motion controls and button inputs over the Move motion controls IMO.

Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
8001 posts
4623 upvotes
Toronto
The problem with The Move is that it was a very obvious attempt to emulate the Wii's success too late at too high a cost with no must have games. The concept of the controller itself is fine, just like the Wii remote was fine, the difference is Nintendo did it way earlier on and with a way better library of games
XFactor11 wrote: The best uses of Move Controls IMO, are House of the Dead Overkill Extended Cut (with the Move Pistol add-on)
and Resident Evil 5 Gold Edition with the navigator controller and move wand (although I still prefer using the DS3 over it).
So the best uses of the Move were things that were already done years earlier on the Wii with the original HOD Overkill in 2009 and Resident Evil 4 lol
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
4515 posts
1437 upvotes
Toronto
A friend had the Move, and I only played a couple of the pack-in games... it was ok, but too late to ride the motion control wave. I still had more fun playing Kinect than Move...

Although at least it will see its resurgence with the PS VR, and those who held on to their old move sticks can at least re-sell them for more than they would've a couple years ago...
Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
18399 posts
6417 upvotes
Toronto
Sports Champions was great. The table tennis was fantastic.
[OP]
Nov 9, 2010
759 posts
947 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
M1GOmigs wrote: I still had more fun playing Kinect than Move...
I got Kinect a few years ago on 360, but I never felt like the detection was accurate enough to make the gameplay that engaging. Just Dance/Dance Central was definitely better with Kinect than Move, but the other games I played (Kinect Sports, Kinect Adventures, The Gunstringer, Child Of Eden) didn't really do it for me. Diff'rent strokes, I suppose.
M1GOmigs wrote: Although at least it will see its resurgence with the PS VR, and those who held on to their old move sticks can at least re-sell them for more than they would've a couple years ago...
This. Even if someone was super disappointed in the PS3 Move games, it's nice of Sony that they will be able to use them with PS VR. And depending on what the new Move controllers will sell for, people will probably be able to essentially recoup their costs on Move controllers that they don't use anymore.
[OP]
Nov 9, 2010
759 posts
947 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
XFactor11 wrote: The best uses of Move Controls IMO, are House of the Dead Overkill Extended Cut (with the Move Pistol add-on)

Sports Champions is more accurate than Wii motion controls but the game itself is not better than Wii Sports or Wii Sports Resort.
Sports Champions just does not have the same appeal or hooks.

Heavy Rain is a better experience on the DS3's motion controls and button inputs over the Move motion controls IMO..
It's funny, I've never played HOTD: Overkill, RE5 or Heavy Rain with Move controllers. Based on your comment, I might pick up HOTD if I can find it on the cheap. Still got the rifle accessory that went mostly un-used after Resistance 3...

Personally I prefer Sports Champions to Wii Sports, but I agree that Wii Sports definitely has the mass appeal and better pick-up-and-play ability.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
8712 posts
3080 upvotes
I forgot I played Killzone 3 with the big semi-auto add-on. I found that it made aiming and shooting easier but actually moving your character using the rifle was a lot more difficult.

The ones I use with HoTD Overkill Extended cut is this one. It is probably hard to find at this point.

djwalsh3000 wrote: It's funny, I've never played HOTD: Overkill, RE5 or Heavy Rain with Move controllers. Based on your comment, I might pick up HOTD if I can find it on the cheap. Still got the rifle accessory that went mostly un-used after Resistance 3...

Personally I prefer Sports Champions to Wii Sports, but I agree that Wii Sports definitely has the mass appeal and better pick-up-and-play ability.
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
4515 posts
1437 upvotes
Toronto
djwalsh3000 wrote: I got Kinect a few years ago on 360, but I never felt like the detection was accurate enough to make the gameplay that engaging. Just Dance/Dance Central was definitely better with Kinect than Move, but the other games I played (Kinect Sports, Kinect Adventures, The Gunstringer, Child Of Eden) didn't really do it for me. Diff'rent strokes, I suppose.
The detection was wonky, but worked well enough for games like Dance Central, and it was a fun game to play when we had friends over. It was one of the only games my wife was open to playing, aside from the Scene It games. All of the games you mentioned were ok, and it helped that decent developers were behind them... All in all though, I'm just glad motion controls are dead outside of VR
Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
20680 posts
4818 upvotes
Poormond Hill
I like many gamers went out and bought it. And like many of them, it was a waste of money. Tried a few games and felt the dual Shock is a better controller to play games.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2006
2332 posts
513 upvotes
GVR
I picked up a move controller when it first came out because all it cost was 2 >$8 TIV games. Quality wise it was fine, but the games just weren't there. It never got past the party game stage, with the exception of a few games that gave the option to use Move.

Worth noting that the 15m Move units is the number shipped, and as far as I can tell it's the number of individual controllers sold and not users.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 19, 2010
6195 posts
4446 upvotes
Toronto
I haven't actually found the time to use it with games such as Killzone and Socom 4 but I've been meaning to. My biggest Move game has been Sports Champion. It's honestly a ton of a fun with my buddy. I never had a Wii so I can't compare but I can't say I was disappointed.

I've also enjoyed using the official gun rifle attachment for on-rail shooters like Time Crisis. Still haven't gotten to games like Heavy Fire and Sorcery. The price wasn't too steep when I bought it and I'd say it was good value! Oh and I used the eye camera with my GF playing Just Dance like fools, lol.
With Zoomer Wireless !
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2002
3058 posts
761 upvotes
BC
Yes, I only tried using it once for killzone 3 and was so put off that it's been boxed for years
[OP]
Nov 9, 2010
759 posts
947 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
Ren wrote: Yes, I only tried using it once for killzone 3 and was so put off that it's been boxed for years
I felt the same. Definitely not a great control scheme for FPS. It actually worked better with Resistance 3 than Killzone 3, but still couldn't beat a regular controller. Too bad it left a bad taste in your mouth, but if you're considering keeping them I'd recommend trying out a game that was built for Move like Sports Champions versus FPS games that threw it in as an afterthought.

Like UnCeo mentioned, not much available outside of the party-game genre, but if you take a stab at it with some friends and some drinks there's some fun to be had :)