Real Estate

Am I the only one on RFD who lives alone in a detached house?

  • Last Updated:
  • Feb 24th, 2017 9:35 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 23, 2015
2124 posts
1368 upvotes
Newmarket, ON

Am I the only one on RFD who lives alone in a detached house?

I have no wife, no kids, but I own a detached house in which I live all by myself. I also bought it without any help from anyone.

Out of all the people I know in real life who are single and near my age (early 30s), all of them either:
-live with parents
-live with roommates
-rent
-if they own, it's a condo

Just curious if anyone else on RFD is in my position. I gotta say, having all this space is great! Not to mention the peace and quiet. There are so many empty rooms I can put stuff in, it just seems like I have endless space.
68 replies
Banned
Dec 5, 2015
2038 posts
428 upvotes
Concord, ON
BeapChastard wrote: I have no wife, no kids, but I own a detached house in which I live all by myself. I also bought it without any help from anyone.

Out of all the people I know in real life who are single and near my age (early 30s), all of them either:
-live with parents
-live with roommates
-rent
-if they own, it's a condo

Just curious if anyone else on RFD is in my position. I gotta say, having all this space is great! Not to mention the peace and quiet. There are so many empty rooms I can put stuff in, it just seems like I have endless space.
You should've just bought a nice large luxury condo with great amenities

Pretty non attractive to live in a detached house as a single person...I only bought a house because my gf moved in and I needed 3rd parking space but I miss my condo everyday

2/3 of house is unused ..I have to drive 5-10mins to gym, I had to find/get ppl to do yard work, snow plow , no concierge so I send packages to my mom's condo, no sauna , no pool and I had to get people to restain fence and deck and wait for them to come and do it..Have to take my trash out and back and on set days...It's a big downgrade in lifestyle to move to a detached.. Definitely don't recommend a detached if someone is single and can afford not to have to move to a detached
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jul 30, 2007
29175 posts
14925 upvotes
Toronto
so, you need a few friends that will keep you busy then Smiling Face With Open Mouth

Image
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jul 30, 2007
29175 posts
14925 upvotes
Toronto
Image

... or mix it up like this may work too.
Sr. Member
Oct 9, 2011
610 posts
312 upvotes
EAST YORK
Nice brag thread, OP, but you live in Newmarket so lol
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 23, 2015
2124 posts
1368 upvotes
Newmarket, ON
baddoctor wrote: Nice brag thread, OP, but you live in Newmarket so lol
Haha touche... My choices with my budget were a condo in Toronto, a really old/small bungalow in a bad part of Scarborough, or a much bigger and newer detached house in Newmarket. The choice was obvious.
Banned
Dec 5, 2015
2038 posts
428 upvotes
Concord, ON
BeapChastard wrote: Haha touche... My choices with my budget were a condo in Toronto, a really old/small bungalow in a bad part of Scarborough, or a much bigger and newer detached house in Newmarket. The choice was obvious.
Yup...As a single...Should've chose condo in Toronto instead of house in edge of suburbia with no amenities
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 23, 2015
2124 posts
1368 upvotes
Newmarket, ON
GrandePike wrote: You should've just bought a nice large luxury condo with great amenities

Pretty non attractive to live in a detached house as a single person...I only bought a house because my gf moved in and I needed 3rd parking space but I miss my condo everyday

2/3 of house is unused ..I have to drive 5-10mins to gym, I had to find/get ppl to do yard work, snow plow , no concierge so I send packages to my mom's condo, no sauna , no pool and I had to get people to restain fence and deck and wait for them to come and do it..Have to take my trash out and back and on set days...It's a big downgrade in lifestyle to move to a detached.. Definitely don't recommend a detached if someone is single and can afford not to have to move to a detached
I just built a gym in my basement. Under $1000 for a power rack, olympic weight set, bench, and set of dumbells. As for yard work/plowing, I do it all myself and actually find it fun.
Banned
Dec 5, 2015
2038 posts
428 upvotes
Concord, ON
BeapChastard wrote: I just built a gym in my basement. Under $1000 for a power rack, olympic weight set, bench, and set of dumbells. As for yard work/plowing, I do it all myself and actually find it fun.
Does your gym have 30ft ceilings?

I have a gym in my basement too but it's so ghetto compared to a proper gym and ceiling height is only 9ft which doesn't work for a gym...Can't even fit cardio machine be it treadmill, elliptical or anything down there

Yard work and plowing itself is OK if I can choose when to do it, but in a house you don't get to choose. I also like travelling so I definitely need people to come do it for me anyways since I'm away for week or two quite often

A detached house is a prison for single person
Deal Addict
May 17, 2012
2576 posts
1401 upvotes
ontario
GrandePike wrote: I have a gym in my basement too but it's so ghetto compared to a proper gym and ceiling height is only 9ft which doesn't work for a gym...Can't even fit cardio machine be it treadmill, elliptical or anything down there

Yard work and plowing itself is OK if I can choose when to do it, but in a house you don't get to choose. I also like travelling so I definitely need people to come do it for me anyways since I'm away for week or two quite often

A detached house is a prison for single person
nonsense, the setup OP has with a power rack, bench and weights is all one needs. you want cardio go shovel some snow or a run around the neighbourhood.

how many boats, snowmobiles and atvs can you park in that fancy condo?

OP, even if I were single with no kids, I'd still buy a detached.
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 23, 2015
2124 posts
1368 upvotes
Newmarket, ON
GrandePike wrote: Does your gym have 30ft ceilings?

I have a gym in my basement too but it's so ghetto compared to a proper gym and ceiling height is only 9ft which doesn't work for a gym...Can't even fit cardio machine be it treadmill, elliptical or anything down there

Yard work and plowing itself is OK if I can choose when to do it, but in a house you don't get to choose. I also like travelling so I definitely need people to come do it for me anyways since I'm away for week or two quite often

A detached house is a prison for single person
I can do a standing overhead press in my basement without hitting the ceiling. Why would I need higher ceilings than that? Also I don't do cardio, because I'm not a girl.

I disagree with you abotu not being able to choose when you do yard work. If you have a nagging wife, then yeah you don't get to choose, you do it when she says. But if you live alone, you do what you want when you want. If I don't feel like doing something, I do it later, there's nobody to nag me to do it. I'm the king of my castle. :)
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2009
2958 posts
402 upvotes
GrandePike wrote: \
2/3 of house is unused ..I have to drive 5-10mins to gym, I had to find/get ppl to do yard work, snow plow , no concierge so I send packages to my mom's condo, no sauna , no pool and I had to get people to restain fence and deck and wait for them to come and do it..Have to take my trash out and back and on set days...It's a big downgrade in lifestyle to move to a detached.. Definitely don't recommend a detached if someone is single and can afford not to have to move to a detached
JFC i got tired just reading that
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 31, 2008
11853 posts
2282 upvotes
Toronto
Max Gains yo. Hey, good move early on. I mean sky rocket appreciation in the last 1-2 years.

I'm sure there's ppl out there like you but less so here. Takes balls, foresight, to do this all on your own. Also, giving up the yolo lifestyle of downtown. Good move in a way as I did that and don't remember much of it. Though did forge good friendships.
Penalty Box
Jan 13, 2017
456 posts
366 upvotes
bought a detached in Vaughan at 28 by myself as well. never owned a property before that, went into pure saving mode after grad.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 31, 2008
11853 posts
2282 upvotes
Toronto
MMMPower wrote: bought a detached in Vaughan at 28 by myself as well. never owned a property before that, went into pure saving mode after grad.
Now my question is, what or who prompted you? Was it from school? Peers? Parents? Just saw what was going on? Given how 'hot' housing is, I'm guessing it's front and centre for many people.
Penalty Box
Jan 13, 2017
456 posts
366 upvotes
pretty much all of the above, I know from day 1 a detached house is the "ultimate" home and I made up my mind and saved for that. kept telling my friends you should always get the biggest piece of land that you can afford.
my first job after grad was a full time job at the banks, quit after 6 months and became a contractor, worked almost every day (except weekends) and asked for every OT opportunities possible, saved for a few years and finally able to come up with a down-pay of more than 20%.

although I have to admit when I first moved in, neighbors looked at me very differently, it was only myself and everyone else were married with kids driving SUVs and i ever had a sedan/suv in my life. but looking back I do not regret my decision one bit.

at1212b wrote: Now my question is, what or who prompted you? Was it from school? Peers? Parents? Just saw what was going on? Given how 'hot' housing is, I'm guessing it's front and centre for many people.
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 23, 2015
2124 posts
1368 upvotes
Newmarket, ON
MMMPower wrote: although I have to admit when I first moved in, neighbors looked at me very differently, it was only myself and everyone else were married with kids driving SUVs and i ever had a sedan/suv in my life. but looking back I do not regret my decision one bit.
I had the same problem! When I moved to my neighborhood, I met a guy a few houses down and he said "We'd love to have you and your wife over one day" and I was like "What wife? I live alone" and he looked at me like I was from Pluto. My neighborhood is full of old retired people, and couples in their 30s and 40s. I'm the only single guy around here as far as I know. The house next door has an old guy 60+ but his adult kids still live with him, they can't even afford to move out lol.

Anyways glad to see there's another single detached house owner on RFD.
Member
Nov 10, 2005
355 posts
214 upvotes
I own a detached house and live alone.

Could've went with a condo, but I prefer to have more space while avoiding condo fees.

I work from home - which means I'm home most of the time. I wouldn't be able to handle being in the same cramped living space the majority of time - it would feel like a prison.

I'm probably the only one in my neighbourhood who lives alone.

Top