Shopping Discussion

Am I returning too often on Amazon? What about you?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 30th, 2020 8:40 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2009
1694 posts
796 upvotes
Boom and Bust Calgar…
lecale wrote: Caspar has a 100 day free trial and they will take them back.
Is that what you read on their website? I think they just tell you to keep the mattress.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
8949 posts
3298 upvotes
caltran wrote: Is that what you read on their website? I think they just tell you to keep the mattress.
It's not explicit but it gives that impression, and the true crime forum story did too.

I think they would be happy not to (shipping, disposal costs). How do you prevent fraud though when someone asks for a free trail, claims not to like the thing (fair) and gets to keep it in the end?
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
4266 posts
2561 upvotes
Gotham
caltran wrote: Is that what you read on their website? I think they just tell you to keep the mattress.
Seems plausible as they wouldn't be able to really do anything with a used mattress and the shipping cost would dent their revenue even further. This might be a good RFD tactic to get a free mattress. Face With Tears Of Joy

Going off topic, the best return policy that I've found is REI in the US. I bought a pair of shoes and they didn't fit properly. I wanted them to work but returned them 11th months later for a refund.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
21105 posts
15058 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
batcave wrote: Going off topic, the best return policy that I've found is REI in the US.
REI used to have a lifetime guarantee until a couple of years ago. Now it's just one year. (Same as LL Bean went from lifetime to one.) The reason was customer abuse. Not only did people expect free replacements even after years of use and normal wear-and-tear, but also there were reports of people buying REI and LL Bean labelled stuff at flea markets, yard sales, craiglist, etc. then trading it in for new. AFAIK now it's one-year no quibble and longer only if you can convince them it's a manufacturing defect.

Right now the best guarantee ironically comes from MEC: Our Rocksolid Guarantee. They've repaired stuff that I'd bought from them decades ago, sometimes for free and sometimes for a nominal charge. They've also taken back and refunded merchandise that I'd bought 2 or 3 years earlier that simply wasn't of acceptable quality. Of course with their recent sale to US asset flipping carpetbaggers, who know how soon before that solid rock crumbles into dust.
I bought a pair of shoes and they didn't fit properly. I wanted them to work but returned them 11th months later for a refund.
You may enjoy watching the movie Wild. REI's free product placement publicity is priceless. REI Gets Free Product Placement In Reese's Hiking Film
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2009
1694 posts
796 upvotes
Boom and Bust Calgar…
lecale wrote: It's not explicit but it gives that impression, and the true crime forum story did too.

I think they would be happy not to (shipping, disposal costs). How do you prevent fraud though when someone asks for a free trail, claims not to like the thing (fair) and gets to keep it in the end?
Contrary to what most cynical RFD posters think, most people won't commit fraud if they like the product. Shocking, I know.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
8949 posts
3298 upvotes
caltran wrote: Contrary to what most cynical RFD posters think, most people won't commit fraud if they like the product. Shocking, I know.
Most people won't commit fraud but if they find a loophole where the company lets you keep a mattress after a trial and puts up no resistance, they will do that. That's fraud, but some people will tell you that's a loophole (and they deserve it if they are a fan of the product). Few people will act on it, a few will go hog wild, ahem, working the loophole. I agree that most people don't commit fraud. Some still do and a few are professionals at it.
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2008
1343 posts
423 upvotes
GTA
lecale wrote: It's not explicit but it gives that impression, and the true crime forum story did too.

I had a friend return one of their mattresses (Maybe it was not casper, but I thought it was), and they arranged someone to pick it up for donations. If they kept it, they wouldn't get the refund.

But seriously, I ordered an outdoor table from Article, realized it was too big for the deck (yes I measured) thought it would be ok. I wanted to return it and they just refunded me and told me to donate or give to a friend and due to Covid19 impacts, they were unable to take returns.
Dec 14, 2017
344 posts
337 upvotes
I'd say my return percentage on the year is about 25%.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
4266 posts
2561 upvotes
Gotham
Return started! :rolleyes: I just received this box. It was partially crushed and opened/ripped and was taped up by the courier. It was my Amazon subscribe and save order. Inside was 5lbs of hemp seeds, a large box of dishwasher tabs, six pounds of beans, two pounds of flax seed and two bags of potato chips. Guess which needed to be returned!
20201028_141644.jpg

This one for improper packaging - keeping my returns average around .350.

For food, they provide the choice of a refund or send the items out again. In this case I just took the refund.
Feb 4, 2011
496 posts
285 upvotes
caltran wrote: Contrary to what most cynical RFD posters think, most people won't commit fraud if they like the product. Shocking, I know.
You will be surprised

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)