Expired Hot Deals

Amazon 8-Sheet Strip-Cut Paper, CD, and Credit Card Shredder $29.99 *DEAL OF THE DAY*

  • Last Updated:
  • Jul 24th, 2015 9:56 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2009
2266 posts
1104 upvotes
Ontario

Amazon 8-Sheet Strip-Cut Paper, CD, and Credit Card Shredder $29.99 *DEAL OF THE DAY*

Deal Link:
Price:
$29.99
Savings:
40%
Expiry:
July 23, 2015
AmazonBasics 8-Sheet Strip-Cut Paper, CD, and Credit Card Shredder on sale for $29.99 with free shipping (regular price $49.99), deal of the day only.
  • 8 sheet stripcut
  • Shreds cds and credit cards
  • 3 position switch auto,on ,reverse
  • Ships in Certified Frustration-Free Packaging
Cheers :)
18 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
25152 posts
21612 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Note this is a strip-cut shredder. A determined person could reassemble the strips to reconstruct your paper documents. If you want to make it harder for them, put the strips in a large plastic bag, add a liter or more rof water, then shake, rattle and roll. The water will saturate the paper and create a pulpy mess. Make sure the plastic bag has no holes.

Cross-cut shredders are more secure but of course are more expensive. Still this is a decent shredder for CDs/DVDs, credit cards, etc.
veni, vidi, Visa
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2009
2266 posts
1104 upvotes
Ontario
bylo wrote: Note this is a strip-cut shredder. A determined person could reassemble the strips to reconstruct your paper documents. If you want to make it harder for them, put the strips in a large plastic bag, add a liter or more rof water, then shake, rattle and roll. The water will saturate the paper and create a pulpy mess. Make sure the plastic bag has no holes.

Cross-cut shredders are more secure but of course are more expensive. Still this is a decent shredder for CDs/DVDs, credit cards, etc.
Agreed with the comments on cross cut shredder as I have one myself. That said, a strip cut shredder is better than no shredder at all as I sure don't want my personal information going out with the garbage or recycling and can easily be accessed. Sophisticated thiefs (or spies ;) ) can find many ways to steal information so the lack of a cross cut shredder is the least of my worries.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Jan 24, 2007
893 posts
323 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
The volume of waste after cross cut is much smaller than with strip cut. As these do not go into recycling, that might be something to consider for some one with big family with lots of garbage to put it every week.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jul 7, 2003
7351 posts
2343 upvotes
T dot 6
d4diesel wrote: As these do not go into recycling, that might be something to consider for some one with big family with lots of garbage to put it every week.
I don't know about Mississauga but in Toronto you do put it in recycling.

Shredded paper: place in a clear plastic bag & tie closed and place in the Bin. (this is the ONLY exception for the use of clear bags)
http://www.toronto.ca/311/knowledgebase ... 38858.html

I had a tough time finding smaller sized clear bags but these at Cdn Tire did the trick
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/frank ... 9758p.html
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
25152 posts
21612 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Headbeancounter wrote: a strip cut shredder is better than no shredder at all as I sure don't want my personal information going out with the garbage or recycling and can easily be accessed.
That's why I suggested adding water to make it even harder to reassemble strips.

P.S. the ultra-paranoids in the audience should open their tinfoil-lined wallets wide and buy a AmazonBasics 12-Sheet High Security Micro-Cut Shredder

[IMG]http://g-ec2.images-amazon.com/images/G ... osscut.jpg[/IMG]
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 15, 2008
3164 posts
2510 upvotes
Victoria
Put shredded paper in your compost. Problem solved.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
28480 posts
14055 upvotes
bylo wrote: That's why I suggested adding water to make it even harder to reassemble strips.
Depending on the reason they're trying to reassemble your stuff, water won't make a difference.
Your standard dumpster diver probably won't take the time to sort the soggy mess but if there's a criminal matter where they're trying to forensically reassemble incriminating evidence?
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Aug 27, 2014
7168 posts
3343 upvotes
Canuckland
I read stripclub, when I opened it up was very disappointed. :(
Newbie
Sep 26, 2014
95 posts
105 upvotes
Macdonald, MB
Strip cut....Reminds me of Ben Affleck's "Argo" - no more strip cut shredders :-)
Newbie
Sep 26, 2014
95 posts
105 upvotes
Macdonald, MB
DealCanuck wrote: I read stripclub, when I opened it up was very disappointed. :(
U crack me up :-))))
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
25152 posts
21612 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
death_hawk wrote: Depending on the reason they're trying to reassemble your stuff, water won't make a difference.
Your standard dumpster diver probably won't take the time to sort the soggy mess but if there's a criminal matter where they're trying to forensically reassemble incriminating evidence?
Depends on the amount of water you use and what you do with the concoction. A while back as an experiment I filled a Ziploc bag with cross-cut shreds and added water--a lot more water than I'd expected--then sealed the bag. Then I shook the bag to mix everything and kneaded the contents for a few minutes until it was a mash. The ink bled out of the paper naturally so even the few bits that were intact were unreadable. The result was [literally] pulp or the basis for a papier maché. The cops would not be able to reassemble that concoction. No way.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 4, 2007
3098 posts
1711 upvotes
Canada
< makes me wonder what you have to hide from the cops...
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
25152 posts
21612 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
< feel free to wonder but don't let that propeller spin so fast doing it or you may lose your mind ;)
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jul 7, 2003
7351 posts
2343 upvotes
T dot 6
grantz wrote: < makes me wonder what you have to hide from the cops...
More like destroying personal information from criminals
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
25152 posts
21612 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Something that hasn't been mentioned yet is that the "n-sheet" ratings are fictional if you're shredding ordinary paper. If you put 8 sheets of copier paper into an 8-sheet rated shredder it will gag. If you do it more than once or twice in a session it will probably burn out the motor. A more realistic rating is about half as many sheets as the manufacturer claims.

Also low-end shredders are intended for low-volume use. If you try to shred 100s of pages in one session the motor will overheat and either cut out or burn out. Shred about 100 sheets max in a session, then let the motor cool down for half an hour before continuing.

A better way to compare shredding capability than n-sheet ratings is to look at the Ampere rating on the motor. The higher the better. Unfortunately few websites provide this rating. You either have to go to the store and look for the stickers on the motors or go to the manufacturer's -- not retailer's -- website.
veni, vidi, Visa

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)