Expired Hot Deals

Amazon

AfterShokz Aeropex Open-Ear Wireless Bone Conduction Headphones, Cosmic Black - $167.96 (from $209.95)

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 18th, 2020 8:47 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2006
1231 posts
270 upvotes

AfterShokz Aeropex Open-Ear Wireless Bone Conduction Headphones, Cosmic Black - $167.96 (from $209.95)

Deal Link:
Price:
Savings:
20% Off
Retailer:
Amazon
Looks to be the cheapest price as per Camel x3.

https://ca.***************.com/product/B07RQLTFZ2

Thoughts anyone? I'm tempted to get these for commuting to work by bike to listen to podcasts and audiobooks. (And yes, my commute is in the suburbs on bike paths with almost no vehicular traffic). Plus, the whole point of bone conduction is so you can hear ambient noise anyways right!
Last edited by Mars2012 on Jun 15th, 2020 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed link
33 replies
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2003
15048 posts
1362 upvotes
Markham
If you align your expectations with what this product was intended to do, then you will be pleased.

Sound quality will be extremely lacking when compared to more traditional headphones/earbuds/etc. Bass will be non existent. But you will enjoy complete situational awareness that no other type of headphones/etc can compare, because these do not cover your ears whatsoever.

I love mine, and they have their use cases.
ShadowVlican
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2005
2442 posts
1150 upvotes
Montréal, QC
is it legal to wear while biking?
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2002
1570 posts
111 upvotes
I have the cheaper model, Titanium, and I think they are great. If you cycle, you will be able to hear what's happening around you while still being able to listen to music or a podcast. The sound is a little weird at first as it's literally like having "voices in your head" but no other headphones can do what these do. A blind colleague of mine uses them so he can listen to navigation and still hear what's around him. Highly recommended.
Nov 24, 2017
98 posts
56 upvotes
Anyone have any experience with the standard titanium vs the mini? I looked at the size guide and I am inbetween sizes
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2005
2442 posts
1150 upvotes
Montréal, QC
Looks like they are all 20% off on https://aftershokz.ca
I was thinking about getting the Bose Soundwear for biking, but this seems to suit the needs better.
Are the Aeropex worth double the price compared to the Titanium?
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2015
1455 posts
949 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
Clee wrote: Looks like they are all 20% off on https://aftershokz.ca
I was thinking about getting the Bose Soundwear for biking, but this seems to suit the needs better.
Are the Aeropex worth double the price compared to the Titanium?
That Bose product's pretty neat.

If you're going the aftershokz route, you should probably get Aeropex as the sound quality is better. As with the 2nd post already mentioned, the sound quality is already compromised (It sounds kind of like earphones made in the 90's). You're looking at even more compromises with the Titanium.

If I were to get Aeropex for anything other than sports where the buds typically falls off (like running), I might as well get those bluetooth buds instead.
I have xtrainerz and it made sense for my use case (one without bluetooth). I would never compromise in sound quality otherwise.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2005
2442 posts
1150 upvotes
Montréal, QC
spiritsBB wrote: If you're going the aftershokz route, you should probably get Aeropex as the sound quality is better. As with the 2nd post already mentioned, the sound quality is already compromised (It sounds kind of like earphones made in the 90's). You're looking at even more compromises with the Titanium.
I'm only scared that I wont like them, as I never tried this type of headphones. I'm willing to try the Titaniums out for 80$, but the Aeropex at 168$ is a bit expensive without having tried them. But at the same time, if I like them, I might regret not getting the lighter and better sounding one....
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2015
1455 posts
949 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
Clee wrote: I'm only scared that I wont like them, as I never tried this type of headphones. I'm willing to try the Titaniums out for 80$, but the Aeropex at 168$ is a bit expensive without having tried them. But at the same time, if I like them, I might regret not getting the lighter and better sounding one....
Here's a better way to explain this. You'll use it doing whatever activity you originally would use it for, but won't use it when you don't need it and would opt for any other earbuds laying around.
Podcasts would be fine I think.
Mar 7, 2011
256 posts
520 upvotes
Mississauga
I had the Titanium and now the Air and love them especially for use in the office
Helps drown out background noise but everyone keeps asking if I'm on a call Face With Tears Of Joy
Also handy for use at night so you can hear the cry from the little one or if they sneak up on you in the dark
Extremely comfortable without the strain on your ear canal by IEM or the pressure on/around your ear from larger headphones

The Bose Soundwear are pricey (like every other Bose product) so I gave the Bludio HS a try
https://www.amazon.ca/Bluetooth-Bluedio ... B081NF9V72
Rather impressed for less than $25
Intended use is for a senior to watch TV at a reasonable level
Last edited by mmack00 on Jun 15th, 2020 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2005
2442 posts
1150 upvotes
Montréal, QC
spiritsBB wrote: Here's a better way to explain this. You'll use it doing whatever activity you originally would use it for, but won't use it when you don't need it and would opt for any other earbuds laying around.
Podcasts would be fine I think.
You are right. I think I will go for the Titanium. I will only use it for the activities that it is intended for, when security is more important than sound quality.
Mar 13, 2010
203 posts
68 upvotes
Ottawa
Same price here as well. Should be able to get another 10% if you sign up to their newsletter too.
https://www.primeauvelo.com/en/aeropex- ... 25493.html
Also, I've had the Titaniums for about 2 years now and they are great. Not the best SQ but it's great for running and cycling.
Last edited by sjeffrey on Jun 15th, 2020 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jan 4, 2010
196 posts
150 upvotes
Been using my gamer aftershokz for probably 6 years, based off the Bluez 2. Quality of the plastic sucked, but I fixed it when it snapped. The newer Aeropex I got as a replacement, ended up using on commute on the TTC. I like the situational awareness, felt more natural with having open ears than having an earbud. Never had Airpods so I can't compare - but you will have a hard wire going around the back of your head, which can get snagged on hoodies or what not when you tilt your head back, can get bothersome for people with long hair I imagine.

If you can live with that, they're great. I rather wear these because I have kids in the house, so I can hear them if they get up in the middle of night while I'm working, watching movies solo or playing games... instead of wife shouting why I'm not hearing my kids crying for me.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2006
4404 posts
938 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Anybody with experience wearing these with glasses?
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2015
1455 posts
949 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
dmxlite wrote: Anybody with experience wearing these with glasses?
I typically use contact lens for sports, but I just tried it out for you.

It's not a problem. The temple part of the eyeglass can either snug it beside the headphone, or on top of it.

On a notice-ability scale of 0-10, if eyeglass is a 2, the headphone is a 2, then wearing both is a 3.
Jan 4, 2010
196 posts
150 upvotes
dmxlite wrote: Anybody with experience wearing these with glasses?
Doesn't affect the bone conduction.

For anyone who hasn't experienced these - its like you have another layer of audio on top of what you have going around you. Depending on the volume, if you're like me, you won't be able to pay attention to more than one audio source - talking with someone while listening to music on full volume won't work. The odd thing about these is, if you plug your ears with them on, the audio gets better! Defeats the reason I wear them - but the option is there if you want better audio (comes with earplugs)

Also, the charging cable is proprietary - don't lose it.
May 2, 2015
571 posts
506 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Not only that these are great for biking, these are great headphones for work from home scenariostoo. I turn them on at 9 am for work and keep them for the most part of the workday for skype calls. No ear fatigue as they dont occupy your ears. Another factor the mostly doesn't get mentioned is the Aeropex can connect to two devices at a time and switch audio instantly based on where the sound is coming from.

Even though quality for music is not comparable with regular headphones, indoor Bluetooth call quality is stellar. No one ever complained about quality during my several hours of skype and regular calls ( comparing to my galaxy buds).
Aug 19, 2004
964 posts
799 upvotes
Toronto
I just got the basic titanium version from costco (mainly for their awesome warranty).

It takes some getting used to. Sound quality on a call is good; GREAT when biking (haven't tested it running yet). I do find it a bit uncomfortable at first; but you do get used to it.

Sound quality from a pair of basic earbuds would be better. It's use case is situational awareness. I'm not sure if the $200 version offers enough benefits to a new user.

Why not buy the costco version (titanium @ 64 and air at $109)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)