Investing

Amazon (AMZN)

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 20th, 2024 11:54 pm
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2006
3668 posts
567 upvotes
Got anything else to disclose? we could use a pullback right about now to make room for more people to jump in ...
CollegeGraduate wrote: Everyone been waiting for a pull back in AMZN, but hasn't happened yet. The last time it happened was when the time I disclosed on RFD that I have 100% of my net worth in AMZN. And then the curse kicks in which resulted in around 12% pull back.
Banned
Aug 19, 2016
1903 posts
762 upvotes
cn_habs wrote: Can you please disclose something else just to make it drop again?

I read that cloud spending could top 1 trillion eventually and AMZN will probably have half of that high-margin business.
Since I already have 100% of my money in AMZN, I don't have any other positions to disclose.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2017
2902 posts
4581 upvotes
treva84 wrote: Sorry just to be clear, I think you mean June 2017? Nonetheless doubling is great!
Yep 2017. Good catch.
Banned
Aug 19, 2016
1903 posts
762 upvotes
notenoughsleep wrote: Amazon is by far my best performer this year as well, but I don't have the steel balls like CollegeGraduate to put all my eggs in 1 basket! Currently makes up 5% of my portfolio and I'm already hesitant to add more!
In my younger days, I did fell into the trap of diversification. You see these expert of the experts on TV talking about how good a company is and how high the stock price will go. When you ask them about the %age they invested into this gorgeous stock, they will say 0.5%, or 1%. the highest was 2%. So what if this stock soared by 100%? What will that get you without the other 90+ stocks soared at the same rate?

As a personal investor, 5 to 7 stocks is all we need in a portfolio. Pick your best 5 to 7 stocks.
As an institutional investor, putting around 10% into a stock is a must.
Most of the greatest investors in history usually has a concentrated portfolio.
Banned
Aug 19, 2016
1903 posts
762 upvotes
Dazaron wrote: Hello.

New to investing, been watching amazon for the past couple months but didn’t buy, kept telling myself it will go down but this thing keeps going up. With it reaching 1 trillion dollar and $2000 mark, is now a good time to buy? Is today jump because some people believe it will go through stock split?
I don't know if the stock price will pull back or not in the short term.
I know 2 things for certain:
1) Stock price will be a lot higher 10 years from now.
2) Knowing Jeff Bezos, he won't split the stock. Unless he is not at the helm, then that is a different story.
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2006
3668 posts
567 upvotes
Time in the market > Timing the market... you can always average down if there's a pullback.

2017 to 2018 was a turning point for Cloud business were many companies decided that moving to the cloud doesn't mean automatic security Sepuku so there's going to be lots of companies moving to a Cloud business model. Amazon is really in a league of its own there, then you have Microsoft and Google but I doubt they will be catching up to Amazon anytime soon.

The other super important thing is the user base, I mean the entire world shops on Amazon then goes and shops on Amazon in a different country when they find deals there... then they have prime... food, ebooks, twitch, now getting into pharma... sky seems to be the limit at this time for them.

Maybe all in and forget about investing drama isn't such a bad idea... people spend lots of time looking at graphs of stocks doubling and quadrupling... the truth is that the only way you're guaranteed to see all that is if you're long. If you're trading, it's practically impossible to ride the waves perfectly... unless you have insider info...

@CollegeGraduate, you got hardened steel balls indeed, well done!

Cheers,

New to investing, been watching amazon for the past couple months but didn’t buy, kept telling myself it will go down but this thing keeps going up. With it reaching 1 trillion dollar and $2000 mark, is now a good time to buy? Is today jump because some people believe it will go through stock split?
Oct 21, 2016
946 posts
718 upvotes
Problem is what 5 to 7 growth stocks to pick without losing one fifth of your portfolio potentially . Let me guess Amazon Apple Google Microsoft Netflix walamrt, visa, Tesla JP Morgan ? If I had the risk tolerance that would be my picks
Last edited by Shaun80 on Aug 30th, 2018 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2006
3668 posts
567 upvotes
... Facebook, Nvidia, EA\ATVI\TTWO ...
Shaun80 wrote: Problem is what 5 to 7 growth stocks to pick without losing one fifth of your portfolio potentially . Let me guess Amazon Apple Google Microsoft Netflix walamrt, visa, Tesla ? If I had the risk tolerance that would be my picks
Feb 5, 2017
910 posts
913 upvotes
I agree with collegegraduate. I am swing trading 1.250M worth almost every day in the last few weeks of one single stock or ETF.
just put your stop loss in place and take the profit whenever you feel you have made enough money.
that's 60% of my whole portfolio. Amazon could be next since I do believe in them.
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
8003 posts
4050 upvotes
Toronto
alexcalvado wrote: I agree with collegegraduate. I am swing trading 1.250M worth almost every day in the last few weeks of one single stock or ETF.
just put your stop loss in place and take the profit whenever you feel you have made enough money.
that's 60% of my whole portfolio. Amazon could be next since I do believe in them.
amazon going to the moon.
Apr 23, 2010
252 posts
120 upvotes
Ontario
CollegeGraduate wrote: Not possible in our life time.
We shall see. Now up to a measly 19 shares in comparison to some of you guys...
Banned
Aug 19, 2016
1903 posts
762 upvotes
Pterion wrote: We shall see. Now up to a measly 19 shares in comparison to some of you guys...
I kept on buying them every time I have money, so my average cost is around $1,200 among all my accounts. However, I did bought the bulk at around $777 back in 2016 when Donald Trump was elected president and launched his first attack on Amazon. At the same time, I also bought BABA around $88.88 (lucky Chinese number). I sold all BABA and consolidated into AMZN after BABA reached around $150.

Then later I sold everything else and dumped them all into AMZN. I only had 4 stocks anyways back then. Now I only have 1, AMZN.
The more I look at AMZN, the more I like it. It is rewarding while AMZN is doing well; however, it will be dangerous if AMZN is doing bad because I then would have the bias of not getting out when I had the chance.

It happened to me once before around 7 years ago. I got so attached to a stock I refused to admit the mistake and bought more. Then in the end I got out without losing a penny because I averaged down significantly. This incident lasted for around 3-4 years, and then I finally got out.
Although I didn't lose any money on this mistake, but the opportunity cost was significant. During this period, the S&P 500 index went up around 100%.
Banned
Aug 19, 2016
1903 posts
762 upvotes
I wonder if OP got any AMZN. At the time of the thread creation, I think Amazon was only $350/share lol.
Deal Guru
Jun 26, 2005
10111 posts
1966 upvotes
Toronto
Vitalogy80 wrote: As they say, Price is Truth...so Amazon is worth exactly what's it worth today. If you think it isn't, short it or ignore it.
Exactly. Price is the truth. Trade it using price and nothing else. It's called a market.

If you have the last water bottle on an island with 50 people. Price could be $1000 a bottle. Is water worth that much? No. But when it's in low supply and high demand, then yes. Price.

BTW, I bought a few shares when it was at $1,577

Tons of markets Amazon can get into selling.. drugs, clothing, food. Imagine same day fresh food delivery? It's endless
Deal Guru
Jun 26, 2005
10111 posts
1966 upvotes
Toronto
CollegeGraduate wrote: I kept on buying them every time I have money, so my average cost is around $1,200 among all my accounts. However, I did bought the bulk at around $777 back in 2016 when Donald Trump was elected president and launched his first attack on Amazon. At the same time, I also bought BABA around $88.88 (lucky Chinese number). I sold all BABA and consolidated into AMZN after BABA reached around $150.

Then later I sold everything else and dumped them all into AMZN. I only had 4 stocks anyways back then. Now I only have 1, AMZN.
The more I look at AMZN, the more I like it. It is rewarding while AMZN is doing well; however, it will be dangerous if AMZN is doing bad because I then would have the bias of not getting out when I had the chance.

It happened to me once before around 7 years ago. I got so attached to a stock I refused to admit the mistake and bought more. Then in the end I got out without losing a penny because I averaged down significantly. This incident lasted for around 3-4 years, and then I finally got out.
Although I didn't lose any money on this mistake, but the opportunity cost was significant. During this period, the S&P 500 index went up around 100%.
Might I suggest to buy into credit card stocks? Many online purchases use credit cards.

Like in the gold rush, instead of investing in who willl find gold, invest in the store that sells shovels.
Banned
Aug 19, 2016
1903 posts
762 upvotes
rfdrfd wrote: Tons of markets Amazon can get into selling.. drugs, clothing, food. Imagine same day fresh food delivery? It's endless
Amazon lose money on every physical items they sell. However, they do have the platform that scales, and the limit is their warehouse. That is why they need to find more locations if this business scales.
The real reason Amazon sell things for cheap is because they want those data. That is why they are now in the advertising business now.

If you are a pure eCommerce company, you will bleed left and right until you die. With Amazon, the eCommerce platform is there to collect data and promote customer royalty.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2004
6948 posts
2695 upvotes

I am in the exact same boat. I've been saying for a couple years Amazon is going to take over the world and didn't even think about buying stock in them. Then I've been sitting on money for six months waiting for something to happen. I bought 8 shares yesterday at $2005(USD). Wondering if I should have bought more. I just have a feeling as soon as I put my money in the market will correct. So far it's been a day,so we'll see lol.
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2006
3668 posts
567 upvotes
How is this thread so quiet with the trillion $ news?
It's quite astonishing that Amazon continues to grow at this speed given that it's already worth a trillion dollars.

Congrats again @CollegeGraduate! Last time I was thinking about jumping in was at 1745USD but thought that was too high ... terrible mistake that was...

Cheers,
Deal Guru
Feb 4, 2015
10332 posts
6699 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Cress wrote: How is this thread so quiet with the trillion $ news?
It's quite astonishing that Amazon continues to grow at this speed given that it's already worth a trillion dollars.

Congrats again @CollegeGraduate! Last time I was thinking about jumping in was at 1745USD but thought that was too high ... terrible mistake that was...

Cheers,
Shhh, don't jinx it :)
2022/3: BOC raised 10 times and MCAP raised its prime next day.
2017,2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime next day each time.
2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited to drop its prime to include all 3 drops.