• Last Updated:
  • Jul 30th, 2021 11:40 am
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 7, 2012
1665 posts
417 upvotes
Montreal
Chance7652 wrote: Fractional shares would be really good to have with the Canadian brokerages. I also think AMZN should split (they have in the past).

For Canada have WS Trade which has no commissions but I find it limited with their delayed quotes and limits on what you can buy. I also only use if for Canadian stocks as I've heard they charge really high fees to convert CDN to USD.
When I was looking at list of fractional shares offered course looked for berkshire... not there Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes but still good shares to buy in fractions... what was highest Amazon was a last before it split?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 5, 2008
1666 posts
1458 upvotes
porticoman2 wrote: AMZN - any reason why anyone would not buy this stock for a minimum 5 year hold, even just 'one-share'?
I've never owned shares in AMZN. I do trade weekly or bi weekly options for cash flow though. Just did a 1c trade for +10$ this morning. It's always been one of those stocks I've been afraid to hold long term.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2004
6482 posts
2128 upvotes
porticoman2 wrote: AMZN - any reason why anyone would not buy this stock for a minimum 5 year hold, even just 'one-share'?
I bought 8 shares at $2000 at the peak because Amazon was/is taking over the world. Was stagnant for a while but then took off. I think it's a pretty safe bet but there are probably other companies with more room to grow.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2004
6482 posts
2128 upvotes
Chance7652 wrote: Fractional shares would be really good to have with the Canadian brokerages. I also think AMZN should split (they have in the past).

For Canada have WS Trade which has no commissions but I find it limited with their delayed quotes and limits on what you can buy. I also only use if for Canadian stocks as I've heard they charge really high fees to convert CDN to USD.
Wonder why they haven't split lately? You'd think a lot of younger crowd would like to get in if it was a lower price, similar to Tesla.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2017
2170 posts
2650 upvotes
baz5 wrote: Wonder why they haven't split lately? You'd think a lot of younger crowd would like to get in if it was a lower price, similar to Tesla.
I think a lot of US brokerages offering fractional shares make splits less important. I'm still not sure why Amazon doesn't do it as it would probably drive up the share price (relative to the split).

I was posting this before but Canadian brokerages need to get more investor friendly and offering fractional shares is part of that.

There is a certain prestige with share price as well but even if Amazon went down 100 I think it would climb again. Not that it makes much difference unless a stock is really low but I was looking at it and my average Canadian stock price is 91 while my average US stock price is 933.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 7, 2012
1665 posts
417 upvotes
Montreal
Chance7652 wrote: I think a lot of US brokerages offering fractional shares make splits less important. I'm still not sure why Amazon doesn't do it as it would probably drive up the share price (relative to the split).

I was posting this before but Canadian brokerages need to get more investor friendly and offering fractional shares is part of that.

There is a certain prestige with share price as well but even if Amazon went down 100 I think it would climb again. Not that it makes much difference unless a stock is really low but I was looking at it and my average Canadian stock price is 91 while my average US stock price is 933.
Yes, if CAD companies would offer fractional sharing, it would make all stocks more affordable, no need to wait for split.
Share big price does have allure, feels great having one of the big ones, but now that I see fractional available from Schwab it's reset the idea for me... minimum purchase is ten dollars per Share allowed on the fractional section ( not all shares are allowed) , its now possible to build our own "funds" made up of almost every single expensive stock we've been eying while slowing growing a beautiful portfolio
Newbie
Mar 31, 2020
10 posts
9 upvotes
Chance7652 wrote: Fractional shares would be really good to have with the Canadian brokerages. I also think AMZN should split (they have in the past).

For Canada have WS Trade which has no commissions but I find it limited with their delayed quotes and limits on what you can buy. I also only use if for Canadian stocks as I've heard they charge really high fees to convert CDN to USD.
As long as Jeff Bezos is in the helm, it is unlikely that there will be any stock splits. He was probably soured by the experience during the dot-com boom. Amazon was doing stock splits all the way until the bubble burst and the stock lost 90%+ of its value, and because of the stock split, it went single digit.

Even with fractional shares, the high stock price can be a psychological barrier. I was talking to a friend about MELI and she said it was too expensive at $1000 even though she knows she can get fractional shares. Any way she bit the bullet and now it's $1900 6 months later.

Anyway, in Canada, you can use Interactive Brokers for fractional share purchasing. Unlike the US which offers commission-free trading, IB costs. But it can be as low as $1 per trade. And if you do more than 10 trades a month or keep a $100K USD equivalent balance, there's no monthly fee.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 17, 2008
6011 posts
5558 upvotes
$AMZN | Amazon Q4 20 Earnings:
- Revenue: $125.56B (exp $119.70B)
- Operating Income: $6.9B (exp $4.47B)
- Sees Q1 Net Sales $110B To $106.0B (exp $95.72B)
- EPS: $14.09 (exp $7.34)
- CEO Bezos Will Transition To Role Of Executive Chair
$600mm to get "Unch"
Newbie
Mar 9, 2017
93 posts
49 upvotes
Wow. Great quarter. Lets see how market reacts to bezos stepping down as ceo
Deal Fanatic
May 22, 2003
7138 posts
4032 upvotes
Vancouver
Congrats to Bezos, can enjoy his wealth now and maybe open a small bookstore as a hobby? Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Fanatic
May 22, 2003
7138 posts
4032 upvotes
Vancouver
Amazon (NASDAQ:AMZN): Q1 GAAP EPS of $15.79 beats by $6.18.
Revenue of $108.52B (+43.7% Y/Y) beats by $3.89B.

Second Quarter 2021 Guidance

Net sales are expected to be between $110.0 billion and $116.0 billion, or to grow between 24% and 30% compared with second quarter 2020. This guidance anticipates a favorable impact of approximately 200 basis points from foreign exchange rates.
Operating income is expected to be between $4.5 billion and $8.0 billion, compared with $5.8 billion in second quarter 2020. This guidance assumes approximately $1.5 billion of costs related to COVID-19. Q2 Revenue consensus of $108.48B.
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2009
1743 posts
1526 upvotes
Ottawa
MrMom wrote:
I look forward to ignoring / scrolling beyond the articles saying How Amazon is a hot buy now that it is so cheap. How this stock market darling could one day be worth $3,500 again. Or a personal favourite: Why did Amazon lose 90% of its value and is it time to buy?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 17, 2008
6011 posts
5558 upvotes
8 tranche jumbo AMZN bond deal (Bloomberg) = cheap funding + buyer demand

Update

Amazon Borrowing $18.5 Billion It Doesn’t Need in New Debt Sale
Updated on May 10, 2021, 2:52 PM EDT
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... -in-a-year
Last edited by MrMom on May 10th, 2021 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
$600mm to get "Unch"
Member
Dec 7, 2008
221 posts
346 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
MrMom wrote: 8 tranche jumbo AMZN bond deal (Bloomberg) = cheap funding + buyer demand
MrMom - can you elaborate and provide a link?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 20, 2020
7370 posts
8063 upvotes
Toronto
notenoughsleep wrote: Congrats to Bezos, can enjoy his wealth now and maybe open a small bookstore as a hobby? Face With Tears Of Joy
Amazon executive Andy Jassy will take over the CEO role on July 5th

from https://globalnews.ca/news/7896733/jeff ... -ceo-july/
“We chose that date because it’s sentimental for me,” Bezos said during an Amazon shareholder meeting Wednesday. He explained that it was exactly 27 years ago on that date in 1994 that Amazon was incorporated.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19497 posts
2190 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
Dhanushan wrote: Amazon executive Andy Jassy will take over the CEO role on July 5th

from https://globalnews.ca/news/7896733/jeff ... -ceo-july/
Is this where the savvy investor reads up on jassy and determine if their is confidence in the man, before they decide to sell, buy more or stay the course?

I would love to buy some Amazon stocks but unlike that person who said they purchased 8 shares at $2000 that’s just not going to happen unless a split happens.

Do you guys feel Bezos other ventures like blue origin will affect Amazon’s value? I mean if blue origin or any other side hustle bezos tanks so does his net worth and his overall value including amazon. Right?
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2017
2170 posts
2650 upvotes
Supercooled wrote: Is this where the savvy investor reads up on jassy and determine if their is confidence in the man, before they decide to sell, buy more or stay the course?

I would love to buy some Amazon stocks but unlike that person who said they purchased 8 shares at $2000 that’s just not going to happen unless a split happens.

Do you guys feel Bezos other ventures like blue origin will affect Amazon’s value? I mean if blue origin or any other side hustle bezos tanks so does his net worth and his overall value including amazon. Right?
I wouldn't sell based on the change of CEO (although maybe the AX.un guy :) ). When your buying and selling you have to think of what you know that others don't and I think its difficult to know something about AMZN that other don't as its the second most valuable company in the world. Some posters here are good at trading but I think most people would be better off buying and holding stocks (less opportunities to make mistakes). I think this is a great stock to hold due to their growth even as a mega cap and AMZN being a leader in the cloud. I personally look at fastgraphs to evaluate AMZN based on its operating cashflow. It currently looks like pretty good value to me and I bought some more at 3058 in March.

Jassy is the former head of AWS and I don't see this as having a major impact on the company. AWS is the reason I bought AMZN personally.

I also wouldn't look too much into the amount of shares you own as its all relative to the size of your portfolio.

Top